Graphics card compatibility.

Glossy_Girl
Go to solution Solved by minibois,
2 minutes ago, Glossy_Girl said:

Thankyou! I just have a couple more questions, first of all, I’m confused. Are you saying it is fine to have a dual slot card, if so the blue slot or black (sorry not very good with computers) also, if I have to have a single slot card, there is NONE on the market right now for a low profile single slot 1050ti. You don’t have to but if you know of any can you send link? Thankyou so mutch ?

You will have to go low profile regardless of how you install it. Low profile refers to the width of the card. Your case has a max width that is just decided by its physical size.

Although looking at this case now, using the black slot (which has less speed, but that is not really important for this level of card) you can probably fit in a dual slot GPU.

Seems like there is enough room for it.

Something like this could probably work: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Dw4NnQ/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-oc-low-profile-video-card-gv-n105toc-4gl

But still keep in mind sometimes these prebuilt machines just do not work with another GPU. Buy from a place with a decent return policy. 

I’m not talking about CPU bottlenecking or anything, I just wanted to know what I could fit. Lots of people have said multiple things like half hieghted cards, and overs have said single slots and stuff. Can someone please give me an answer, because im stressing right now PLEASE :( (it’s a optiplex 9020 SFF btw :))

59172BB5-B789-4F1F-BA6D-3B84A88D7E74.jpeg

3849C735-F78B-4ED8-B4B8-8C8919ACFEA9.jpeg

F7DF4DFA-AB26-4737-B31A-8BF61EFFAB29.jpeg

A normal GPU is about 11/12 cm wide, but it looks like your case is a Dell SFF PC, which could only fit half height (often called LP/Low profile) cards. The single slot vs. dual slot refers to the back of the card and how many brackets it will take.

The blue slot will only support a 1 slot GPU, because it would otherwise prop up against the PSU. The black slot is probably 8x, which wouldn't be much of an issue and will probably barely support dual slot, but with the GPU basically propped up against the PSU.

I would personally at most put a 1050 Ti LP in a system like that (I don't there are GTX 1650 LP cards at this point). But I would still be hesitant to do that, since I know some Dell systems have locked BIOSes that don't allow for anything else (that Dell doesn't improve) to install.

One time I had to do install a GPU into a customer system and had to swap the GPU a couple times, because it didn't support any of the previous cards. I was at the 4th card by the time it supported it. But of course you might be luckier and it may support the first you get.

That is what I hate about upgrading Dell (or Acer, or HP, or Lenovo, etc.) PC's. The uncertainties you have with all the upgrades.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

A normal GPU is about 11/12 cm wide, but it looks like your case is a Dell SFF PC, which could only fit half height (often called LP/Low profile) cards. The single slot vs. dual slot refers to the back of the card and how many brackets it will take.

The blue slot will only support a 1 slot GPU, because it would otherwise prop up against the PSU. The black slot is probably 8x, which wouldn't be much of an issue and will probably barely support dual slot, but with the GPU basically propped up against the PSU.

I would personally at most put a 1050 Ti LP in a system like that (I don't there are GTX 1650 LP cards at this point). But I would still be hesitant to do that, since I know some Dell systems have locked BIOSes that don't allow for anything else (that Dell doesn't improve) to install.

One time I had to do install a GPU into a customer system and had to swap the GPU a couple times, because it didn't support any of the previous cards. I was at the 4th card by the time it supported it. But of course you might be luckier and it may support the first you get.

That is what I hate about upgrading Dell (or Acer, or HP, or Lenovo, etc.) PC's. The uncertainties you have with all the upgrades.

Thankyou! I just have a couple more questions, first of all, I’m confused. Are you saying it is fine to have a dual slot card, if so the blue slot or black (sorry not very good with computers) also, if I have to have a single slot card, there is NONE on the market right now for a low profile single slot 1050ti. You don’t have to but if you know of any can you send link? Thankyou so mutch ?

2 minutes ago, Glossy_Girl said:

You will have to go low profile regardless of how you install it. Low profile refers to the width of the card. Your case has a max width that is just decided by its physical size.

Although looking at this case now, using the black slot (which has less speed, but that is not really important for this level of card) you can probably fit in a dual slot GPU.

Something like this could probably work: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Dw4NnQ/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-oc-low-profile-video-card-gv-n105toc-4gl

But still keep in mind sometimes these prebuilt machines just do not work with another GPU. Buy from a place with a decent return policy. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Ok you have a small form factor  (SFF) case.

This means in that case, you can only install low profile cards (less tall than normal).

You have the pci-e x16 slot (blue), which can take in cards that are 1U thick (because otherwise they'll hit the power supply)

You also have that pci-e x4 slot (black) which you can see it doesn't have end wall, so you can actually insert a pci-e x8 or pci-e x16 card into it, leaving a part of the card connector simply floating in the air. PCI-e slots are designed like that, and it's perfectly safe to have part of the card's connector floating in the air, as long as nothing under it touches the contacts.

This means if you buy a video card that's thicker (2u thick) you COULD install it on the black pci-e x4 slot.

There's other problems with this computer.

1. Your power supply can output maximum 250 watts, which means you should not use a video card that needs more than around 100-120w - basically you can use any video card that needs at most only a single pci-e 6 pin connector.  GT 1050, 1650, maybe 1660 / 1660ti / 1660 super

2. The motherboard may be old enough that modern video card won't run due to bios limitations

My advice would be to borrow a modern video card from a friend, even if it's high profile, just to see if you can get some video output from the video card when you insert it in the slots. ( you can unscrew the high profile brackets from video cards and insert the card in slot without bracket for testing)

If it works, I'd suggest simply buying a mATX or ATX case for around 20-30$ and move the motherboard and everything in the new case.

The motherboard should be mATX or ATX format but a bit longer,  the holes for screws should be in the same locations, so it won't be a problem. You just need a case that would allow you to insert longer motherboards (cases without bent metal or stuff to the right of the 24 pin atx connectors.

The ugly part will be just the power supply which you won't be able to mount it to the case, but you could just leave it on the bottom of the case unscrewed to anything (or you could just use some double sided adhesive tape)

WIth the new case, you'll have more room under the motherboard so you'll be able to insert thicker cards into the pci-e x16 slot and you can also fit high profile video cards, which means you'd be able to buy cheaper and more powerful video cards like GTX 1650

You could go even further and replace the power supply, but you'll need an adapter cable because the motherboard has a custom connector :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-24pin-To-8pin-1000w-Power-Supply-Adapter-Cables-For-DELL-Optiplex-3020-9020/401963824613

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-24pin-To-8pin-1000w-Power-Supply-Adapter-Cables-For-DELL-Optiplex-3020-9020/283556055725

This would allow you to use any ATX power supply to power the computer.

You may think why would I spend 30-40$ on a power supply but you could then spend 70-120$ on a RX470 / RX480 / RX570 / RX 580 that are great for 1080p gaming but need 150-225 watts of power.

17 hours ago, minibois said:

Hey, just wanted to let you know I bought a gtx 1050ti low profile off eBay for $223 AUD ($154 USD), thanks for the suggestion. I have eBay plus so I can get free returns if it dousnt work, but I have found multiple videos with the EXACT same model as me, and it’s been working fine for them. The psu dousnt never changing so that all good. Maybe at some point I will move into new case but we will see :)

B72FF761-B033-4E7A-AED4-066405302F08.png