m.2 SSD good values?

Hi all,

I started to wonder if these are good m.2 SSD values. I am not going to say the brand yet as I want to know the values based on your experience, not brand opinion.

Please also explain why you are thinking that the values are good or not so.

Thanks!

I.PNG

T.PNG

2 minutes ago, Buurvrouw said:

I am not going to say the brand yet as I want to know the values based on your experience, not brand opinion.

????

Well how should I judge this SSD that is likely an Intel 660p or Crucial P1 512GB/1024GB in that case???

It's good for an SSD that is rated for 1800MB/s / 1800-1500MB/s read/write sequential. Of course random performance will suffer on this likely QLC memory drive.

Not all M.2 are made equal, so I am really not sure what I should judge this at. Is this drive and its speed fit for your purpose? Yes? Good. No amount of anyone judging it will make it worse or better for you personally.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The values are good for a cheap NVMe SSD and bad for a high-end one... So it really depends on what model you have and what type of slot it's attached to (e.g. PCIe gen 2/3/4). Whether a more expensive/faster SSD would make a practical difference, that depends on your use case.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

It's odd that the first drive has worse 4K random write performance at QD32 with 16 threads than it does at QD1 with 1 thread.

The second one shows a more typical pattern, with much higher random 4K performance (both read and write) at high queue depth. That's hardly relevant to consumer use though.

Both are doing well above 10K IOPS in random 4K read QD1, which is the rule of thumb for good performance in consumer usage. Along with the decent sequential speeds, you would never be able to tell the difference between these drives and a truly top of the line SSD in normal usage. You don't have ridiculously high sequential speeds, but they basically don't matter anyway.

2 hours ago, minibois said:

????

Well how should I judge this SSD that is likely an Intel 660p or Crucial P1 512GB/1024GB in that case???

It's good for an SSD that is rated for 1800MB/s / 1800-1500MB/s read/write sequential. Of course random performance will suffer on this likely QLC memory drive.

Not all M.2 are made equal, so I am really not sure what I should judge this at. Is this drive and its speed fit for your purpose? Yes? Good. No amount of anyone judging it will make it worse or better for you personally.

There you are 50% correct sir. The first one(1tb) is an intel 600p. The second is a Transcend TS512GMTE510T

What I mainly do on my laptop is gaming, browsing the web, hearing music, watching movies on Netflix and maybe I am going to edit some photo's, but I am not sure yet about the last one.

So I guess in my use case these SSD's are more then enough.

Thanks for all of your comments, highly appreciated!

14 minutes ago, Buurvrouw said:

What I mainly do on my laptop is gaming, browsing the web, hearing music, watching movies on Netflix and maybe I am going to edit some photo's, but I am not sure yet about the last one.

So I guess in my use case these SSD's are more then enough.

In most cases even a SATA SSD won't make that much of a (noticeable) difference in these cases. You're probably looking at a second difference in startup times for Windows/Games. You'll mostly notice the difference when doing productive work and loading (very) large files.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply