2018 Dell XPS 13 vs 2016 MacBook Pro 15

kookburr_

I’ve currently got a Dell XPS 13(i7-8550U, 8GB RAM, 256GB NVMe)

However I need to write a lot of code for my course at uni and the screen size gives me sore eyes every time I try and code for more than maybe an hour. I’ve been considering the MacBook Pro line as I already own an iPhone and an iPad so Sidecar could help me out with getting a second screen when I need and the iPhone just slots in nicely with the whole ecosystem. 
I’ve found a MacBook Pro 2016(i7-6920HQ, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 450, 1TB SSD) for around £700 and I was wondering if anyone’s got an idea on whether it’s worth buying the Mac or just using an external display whenever I need to code?

Coding doesn’t require horsepower.  Sounds like it’s all  about the screen.  Mac uses BSD rather than MSDOS for command line stuff which may matter.  The Mac would be portable whereas the external monitor wouldn’t.

i got very little opinion.  Part of it is the money difference which isn’t mentioned.  Part of it is while I suspect someone coding would be interested in Unix command line but I don’t know because I don’t code.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Coding doesn’t require horsepower.  Sounds like it’s all  about the screen.  Mac uses BSD rather than MSDOS for command line stuff which may matter.  The Mac would be portable whereas the external monitor wouldn’t.

i got very little opinion.  Part of it is the money difference which isn’t mentioned.  Part of it is while I suspect someone coding would be interested in Unix command line but I don’t know because I don’t code.

Thanks for the reply!

The reason that all the machines are so overspeced for coding is that I also edit photos and sometimes video so colour accurate screens are important. I already own the XPS and I could sell for more than the cost of the Mac. 

57 minutes ago, kookburr_ said:

Thanks for the reply!

The reason that all the machines are so overspeced for coding is that I also edit photos and sometimes video so colour accurate screens are important. I already own the XPS and I could sell for more than the cost of the Mac. 

The question then is performance, and time of useful service between the two machines for what you do.  Coding is about screens and keyboards.  Might want to try the 2016 keyboard.  Image editing is more complex.  There should be benchmarks.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.