Actually used Origin Refund service

exyia

So the whole Sims 3 series is on sale on Origin right now, if you haven't seen. You can get Sims3 for just 5 bucks, or Sims3 + Late Night (one of the better xpac from the reviews I see) for just 15. As well as one item pack is currently free.

I got it because I played all 3 games when I was little and loved the games. (in the very early double digit ages, maybe ~14 years old? can't remember). I was reluctant to try the game again because I just faintly remember that I stopped playing the game for a reason - probably just because I overplayed it when I was little.

Ordering process was still TERRIBLE. First order failed - but it stays on your order history as a failed payment. On my second try it finally linked to Paypal correctly. (seriously even when trying to give EA money, they can't do it right). 

Decided to get it. Installed (took a while). Within minutes I realized how boring it was (for me). Whatever appeal this game has - has been long gone from already playing the heck out of this game when I was younger.

I only spent $15, so it wasn't that big of a deal. I was more dissappointed in myself for thinking that this game would feel fresh or nostalgic enough to enjoy. But I remember that whole news splash of Origin offering returns within 24 hours. So I googled to see if this policy was worth dealing with.

First off - this is literally what comes up with google. I am not kidding...........

returnlolorigin_zps437bc15e.jpg

I just find that hilarious - like they're prepared for dissatisfied customers.

Anyway, as I feared - you pretty much open a case like you were calling customer service. The usual process of 'submit your refund request, it will be processed and reviewed, and then we will process your refund'. I was really hoping it wasn't like this - I was just hoping it would be a quick pain-free service if purchase time was still within 24 hours....but no - had to send a request.

Funnily, when you fill in the blank of "I'm returning because...." - there are some pretty laughable reasons. The first one being "game wasn't fun" (or something a long those lines, but using the words not fun). Other funny ones like "Didn't work", "DRM". 

It was only $15 bucks, so I could care less really. If this process is too much of a headache, I'm not going to bother chasing $15.

Got my confirmation that they received my request

Thank you for ordering from the Origin Store. We’re sorry to hear this game didn’t work out for you, and we’re happy to help make this right. Here is a summary of your refund request: 

Your request is under review and we will get in touch with you within 48 hours. In the meantime, you can find your case number, request status, and any other details you may need in My Cases

Thanks again for being an Origin customer. 

Cheers,

The Origin Team

another email:

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for submitting your inquiry. Case Number 11696990 has been created and tied to your question, and a game expert will contact you shortly. 

We sincerely appreciate your patronage and patience, and look forward to getting in touch. 

Regards,

EA Customer Experience

Ughhhhhh....this really was starting to feel like more hassle than it's worth. I'm sure I'll get customer service calling now asking if there was anything wrong or if they could do anything to NOT give me back my money.

4 minutes later - I received my refund automatically, even Paypal emailing me confirming a return balance on transaction.

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

not bad not bad. obviously EA's infrastructure is obnoxious, but hey....at least the refund process wasn't as bad as I thought.

Just sharing in case anyone is wondering. I might actually "try" games I'm on the fence now since this refund process is pretty seamless.

TL;DR - Bought game, didn't like, sent "return request", took 5 minutes and it was just an automated return

cheers for letting us know. I was curious on how it would turn out.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

at least the service works

now if steam had a similar service......

Probably won't happen.

The Gabe Newell/Valve cultists prevent that sort of thing.

I've only brought one game on origin, that being Battlefield 4, and tbh the platform hasnt caused me any issues at.

neither has steam

so i dont quite understand the hate for origin, granted i have 116 games in my steam library versus 1 in origin.

Looking for a job

I think it's great that they have a system like this in place at all, don't see the reason for the negativity through the entire post until the end. 

I think the reason why it requires you to send a request even after 24 hours is to prevent abuse, some games can be finished in less than that and there are definitely some out there that tried to take advantage of the service. Outside of this im glad it works relatively pain free (much better than getting a refund on Steam which I found out it is much easier to have them remove a game from your account than get a refund back to whichever payment method you have used)

NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | Asus Z87-A (don't ask why I have a Z mobo with a non k cpu, have my reasons)| Intel Core i7 4770 | XGIMATEK Dark Knight II| 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 120GB SKHynix | 2tb WD Green | Gigabyte GTX 770 OC | OCZ 750W ZT | Logitech DiNovo Edge | Logitech G602

I can understand reason for so many emails. Some people (seen those in these forums also) get impatient really fast. So if they happen to have high traffic with email service or customer service, multiple emails should reduce angry customers. At least some of them. 

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yeah, I don't get all the Origin hate either. I have never had an issue with it and I have several games through the service. The fact they have a clear and easy refund policy in place, and honor it, is a huge plus in my book.

I know people don't care for EA for various reasons, often tied to "greed", but I really don't get that either. Most of the things people hate on them for, are done every day by countless other companies (cough *Activision* cough). haha

Anyway, I am glad you got your refund. I actually just picked up all of the Sims 3 expansions and extra content for my wife, the ones she did not have yet. I set her up with Origin, activated the keys she had from her physical copies, then picked up the expansions, installed, done. She was up late enjoying her Sims.

=P

I used it for crysis 3 that game was a piece of absolute garbage.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I can understand reason for so many emails. Some people (seen those in these forums also) get impatient really fast. So if they happen to have high traffic with email service or customer service, multiple emails should reduce angry customers. At least some of them. 

I don't mind the amount of emails - I was just dreading an involved and lengthy process just for a refund

if their policy is "full refund within 24 hours", I want that to be hassle free. if I have to go through practically an RMA process - submit, talk to someone, get an approval, then WAIT for slow people to process it - it's too much of a hassle for me to care; to the point where I'll just pass on a potential purchase next time

so thankfully it was seamless here (despite many indications that it wouldn't be). definitely will keep it in mind next time I see a game I "might" want - especially since the age of demo's is over.....man I miss demo's

Can't return, complains, can return, complains the process is too long.

They do this in exchange for more research, so

a ) they can say that XX% of returns are caused by Y in some interview or other blog post and brag about how good it is.

b ) hopefully see what's the common reasons are and attempt adjusting.

And you ARE going through an RMA process. You bought something, you want to return it, you fill in a form, and you get approved.

People take too much stuff for granted.