New Graphics Card Recommendations

So i've just finished building my new computer, and of course it doesn't post. After much trial and error, and borrowing a different graphics card from a friend, i've found out that I need a new graphics card. I suppose that serves me right for trying to save some money and buying it from ebay. The budget for the new card will be at least £450 (the amount I spent on the other card), though I would be willing to spend a bit more. I plan to do custom water cooling later on, so if one card that got similar performance to another will do significantly better when water cooled, i'd want that one more. And of course water cooling costs a lot, so I can't splash out too much.  The card I was going to use was the Radeon VII, I chose it over the 5700xt because as far as I know they perform similarly, and since it was priced similarly as well, I decided I might as well get those extra GB's and honestly I just really liked how it looked in my system (though since i'm gonna be water cooling it anyway I suppose that doesn't really matter now). 

My system specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x - stock cooler (replaced the thermal paste with thermal grizzly kryonaut)

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel Series 16GB (8 x 2) 3733mhz

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus

SSD 1:Sabrent Rocket 512GB M.2 NVME

SSD 2:Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Hard Drive: An old barracuda 1TB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850X

Case: NZXT H510 White

I will mainly be using this system for gaming, though I would like to play around with animation and game development, in a non-professional way.

I could get a new Radeon VII for around £500 overall from newegg, but would that be worth it? Should I just get a 5700xt instead, and if so which model? Or something else? or is something new coming out soon that I should wait for?

Edit: I plan to game at 1440p 144hz on a single curved monitor, though I may add more later. 

Edited by GeoHandle

My current attitude on what to get atm is either the biggest card possible and hope it has the juice to play the stuff that comes out after the consoles hit, or buy as little as possible to get you by till the consoles hit and reevaluate.  If you have a card that works now even if it kinda sucks I would suggest using that and wait for the hammer to drop.  The other option is a 5700 series card if you don’t have artwork to do because it at least has pcie 4.0 capability.  The AMD ray tracing hardware stuff is still black box.  The Xbox series X (the new one that hasn’t come out quite yet) apparently has the navi21 chip in it which may give some idea as to its capacity.  Got to wait for someone to get their hands on one and rip into it to find out though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.