New Laptop, need help deciding

I am currently looking at buying a new laptop, i have been looking around and am not entirely sure what is a good choice. I want to buy a machine that can run 4K video comfortably and it up to date. I have been looking at the HP Spectre x360: https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=8NF11EA&opt=ABU&bid=DYN_BUNDLE_0003818_8NF11EA_ABU&sel=NTB but want to see what others on here can come up with

Do you need a 2-in-1? If not, I wouldn't get one.

Take a look at Thinkpads. What's your budget?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Buget is £2000 and not really, it just seemed to come up in a lot of good laptop breakdowns

3 minutes ago, SmallCravey said:

Buget is £2000 and not really, it just seemed to come up in a lot of good laptop breakdowns

Quote me next time if you want to be certain that I see your reply. It's the little arrow underneath my post ;)

It is a good laptop, but I wouldn't go with a 2-in-1 unless you want one. What do you value in a laptop? Performance, screen quality, battery life, build quality/durability, IO?

There isn't a laptop that has everything, but Thinkpads check as many of the boxes as is realistically possible, especially the new X1s and X1 Extremes.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Quote me next time if you want to be certain that I see your reply. It's the little arrow underneath my post ;)

It is a good laptop, but I wouldn't go with a 2-in-1 unless you want one. What do you value in a laptop? Performance, screen quality, battery life, build quality/durability, IO?

There isn't a laptop that has everything, but Thinkpads check as many of the boxes as is realistically possible, especially the new X1s and X1 Extremes.

Mainly at this point i want something that has high end screen quality, ideally QHD/4K that is able to general tasks. Not looking to game on it as i have a custom tower for that but something with good build quality that doesnt feel like its made out of cheep plastic and could snap

2 minutes ago, SmallCravey said:

Mainly at this point i want something that has high end screen quality, ideally QHD/4K that is able to general tasks. Not looking to game on it as i have a custom tower for that but something with good build quality that doesnt feel like its made out of cheep plastic and could snap

Do you have a preference for screen size?

Seems like either an X1 Carbon or X1 Extreme would suit your needs, depending on what you can find for your budget and how big of a screen you want. X1E is faster but bigger, more expensive, and probably doesn't get as good battery life. X1 Carbon is one of if not the best ultrabooks you can buy right now (the latest gen one that is).

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Seems like either an X1 Carbon or X1 Extreme would suit your needs, depending on what you can find for your budget and how big of a screen you want. X1E is faster but bigger, more expensive, and probably doesn't get as good battery life. X1 Carbon is one of if not the best ultrabooks you can buy right now (the latest gen one that is).

X1E has massive QC issues, or did for a very long time.

If you're after an ultrabook, X1 Carbon is a fantastic choice.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

2 minutes ago, SenKa said:

X1E has massive QC issues, or did for a very long time.

Didn't realize that, whoops. 

Even if it was fine I do think the X1C is a better choice for OP. Just throwing out the X1E as an option.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

13" or 15" is what im really looking for to be honest, 17" is just too big and bulky and 11" has always felt flimsy personally, wern't the Dell XPS series in a similar place recently or have they died off again?

2 minutes ago, SmallCravey said:

13" or 15" is what im really looking for to be honest, 17" is just too big and bulky and 11" has always felt flimsy personally, wern't the Dell XPS series in a similar place recently or have they died off again?

XPS series is good but the Thinkpad is...well, it's better. Look up some reviews of both. The big one I know of is that the XPS has thermal issues.

But yeah, get an X1 Carbon.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Didn't realize that, whoops. 

Even if it was fine I do think the X1C is a better choice for OP. Just throwing out the X1E as an option.

The largest issue with the X1E is that Lenovo does (or did) use about 3 different vendors for keyboard and trackpad. Out of each selection there was only 1 truly good option, and you have (or had) no control over what you got.

So, basic statistics tell us that you have 2 independent events, each with a 33% chance of happening, the chance of them BOTH happening (assuming that every option is equally likely) is half of that. You see where I'm going...

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

The big one I know of is that the XPS has thermal issues.

And audio popping.

X1C for an ultraportable, something a little thicker if you want more power. Are you a student OP? Will you be toting it around often?

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, SenKa said:

And audio popping.

X1C for an ultraportable, something a little thicker if you want more power. Are you a student OP? Will you be toting it around often?

no but i do some work from home but on occasion i do need to move around with it thats why i wanted something not too bulky

3 minutes ago, SmallCravey said:

no but i do some work from home but on occasion i do need to move around with it thats why i wanted something not too bulky

X. 1. Carbon.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, SmallCravey said:

Well, X1 Carbon would be great. Also consider the T490 or T590, the difference being T4xx is 14", T5xx is 15". They are a little thicker, but also have more power.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler