Should I buy a Vega 64 or a 1660 Super?

Go to solution Solved by souvik200,

I have decided to rather go for a RTX 2060 non-super than the Vega 64, because then I wouldn't have to upgrade to a very expensive power supply and a new 550W Corsair should be enough for a card like that.
I could have gone for a 5700 non-XT but here in my country it is more expensive than a RTX 2060 Super. Although an AMD card would have been better for me as my monitor has adaptive sync over HDMI only and NVIDIA cards dont work with Gsync over HDMI.

I have a RX 470 4gb, which is becoming too slow for modern games like Red Dead 2, so I am thinking of upgrading to a new card. Where I live, a Vega 64 (gigabyte gaming OC)and GTX 1660 super are priced the same (Both new cards), Should I go for the Vega 64 as it is faster? but I think it consumes a lot more power.

as much of an nVidia fan as I am...the vega looks to be about 10% better with benchmarks...so it would seem to be great value..are temps/consumption that much of an issue?

Gaming alone: vega it’s much more powerful 

content creation alone: 1660 is a bit slower, but makes up with a better encoder and less power draw

Middle of the line: vega, it can handle both tasks pretty well

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Just now, Pharr Carnell said:

as much of an nVidia fan as I am...the vega looks to be about 10% better with benchmarks...so it would seem to be great value..are temps/consumption that much of an issue?

The vega 64 ran hot, not so hot that you’d outright need to be concerned, but hot nonetheless.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

35 minutes ago, Pharr Carnell said:

I have a pretty bad PSU (Gigabyte PB500 - 500W), But if I get a Vega 64 I think will have to upgrade it to a Corsair CX650. But that would put me closer to the price of an RTX 2060 non-super. 
Temps/noise don't bother me that much.

37 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

Gaming alone: vega it’s much more powerful 

content creation alone: 1660 is a bit slower, but makes up with a better encoder and less power draw

Middle of the line: vega, it can handle both tasks pretty well

I only wish to game with the gpu, but I am concerned about the power draw of Vega for the 10-15% extra performance it offers.

8 minutes ago, souvik200 said:

I have a pretty bad PSU (Gigabyte PB500 - 500W), But if I get a Vega 64 I think will have to upgrade it to a Corsair CX650. But that would put me closer to the price of an RTX 2060 non-super. 
Temps/noise don't bother me that much.

What are the other components of your build, a 500w might still be enough

2 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

What are the other components of your build, a 500w might still be enough

Ryzen 5 2600 (Slight overclock @ 3.85 Ghz), 16gb Ram, B450 Tomahawk Mobo, 1 HDD and 1 Nvme SSD. 
I know 500W must be enough for this, but the Gigabyte PB500 (which I have) is very bad as I have seen in the PSU tier list 4.0 and elsewhere.

Even with the worst case vega 64 using 300w, the rest of the system is around 100w.

4 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

Even with the worst case vega 64 using 300w, the rest of the system is around 100w.

But will the PB500 psu be able to deliver that kind of power? It struggles when I increase the power limit on my RX 470 by +10% using Wattman and red dead 2 just crashes to desktop after 10 mins of stuttery gameplay and wattman resets the settings to defaults.

1 minute ago, souvik200 said:

But will the PB500 psu be able to deliver that kind of power? It struggles when I increase the power limit on my RX 470 by +10% using Wattman and red dead 2 just crashes to desktop after 10 mins of stuttery gameplay and wattman resets the settings to defaults.

In this situation I’d say get a power supply first, gpu second then.

Vega 64 is somewhat faster than 1070 and significantly more power drawing than GTX 1660 Super

I edit my posts more often than not

I have decided to rather go for a RTX 2060 non-super than the Vega 64, because then I wouldn't have to upgrade to a very expensive power supply and a new 550W Corsair should be enough for a card like that.
I could have gone for a 5700 non-XT but here in my country it is more expensive than a RTX 2060 Super. Although an AMD card would have been better for me as my monitor has adaptive sync over HDMI only and NVIDIA cards dont work with Gsync over HDMI.

The Vega 64 is slightly faster, but it runs pretty toasty. If I were in your shoes I'd buy the 1660 and slap a tiny overclock on it to close the gap in performance to the Vega. 

[Intel i7 7700K 4.9GHz][Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz][EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 2100MHz][Samsung 970 Plus 1TB][Samsung Evo 850 1TB][ASUS Hero Maximus IX][EVGA Supernova 1000W G+][Rosewill Cullinan]