Final build! - Thoughts?

wittydavid

STAY AWAY FROM THAT INTEL SSD

it’s qlc and you’re gonna have a horrible time

edit: back from vomiting up the thought of someone buying an intel 660p, essentially it’s slower than a hard drive. If you want a proper nvme, spend the extra money

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

the board seems kinda expensive for what it is . same with that gpu. not much storage space either 1800$ but maybe you don't have much to store idk

Personally, I think you might be overdoing it with the corsair ram. You can find G Skill memory for almost half the price for the same config (including voltage)

Here's what I'm referring to on pcpartpicker.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cf98TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb

Of course, there is the question of brand reliability, but I've had good luck with G Skill so far.

Best of luck!

Good build, it just sucks that the Noctua cooler destroy the look of the PC. Maybe check for the all black version of the cooler?

6 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

can i just say whatever i think of that?

bullshit

qlc isn't even reached without big files, and it's far from hdd speeds if you do reach it

14 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

edit: back from vomiting up the thought of someone buying an intel 660p, essentially it’s slower than a hard drive. If you want a proper nvme, spend the extra money

wow you really dislike intel ssd's - may you please explain what's wrong with qlc ssd and the 660p? Anything else you'd recommend?

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

can i just say whatever i think of that?

bullshit

qlc isn't even reached without big files, and it's far from hdd speeds if you do reach it

Yeah this.

Its a good drive for an OS and some files.  AS long as you aren't using to move 4K video projects around or something like this you'll be fine.

Just now, wittydavid said:

wow you really dislike intel ssd's - may you please explain what's wrong with qlc ssd and the 660p? Anything else you'd recommend?

So qlc has an issue where if it’s at 50% capacity, it slows down to slower than a hard drive. Now some manufacturers are working on a solution, but intel just lied and released the same drive and so I don’t want you to give money to their scam. A tlc nvme is about 50% more expensive, just check the product description and you’ll be safe.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

1 minute ago, Jumballi said:

So qlc has an issue where if it’s at 50% capacity, it slows down to slower than a hard drive. Now some manufacturers are working on a solution, but intel just lied and released the same drive and so I don’t want you to give money to their scam. A tlc nvme is about 50% more expensive, just check the product description and you’ll be safe.

Got a link to that info?  

19 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

What is the system being used for ?

If you are going with the D15 then I would get the Chromax version. No price listed but it should be available (It is out in the UK).

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/84MTwP/noctua-nh-d15-chromaxblack-8252-cfm-cpu-cooler-nh-d15-chromaxblack

Aim

Programming - Running multiple Virtual machines in parallel , multiple Containers parallel, general dev-ops work.
Gaming - AAA titles - Total War Warhammer 1/2, Battlefield, The witcher 3, Red dead redemption 2, GTA V.

Unfortunately the chromax version isn't available where I'm from so I'd have to deal with the iconic tan brown fans, unless there is a different cpu fan that preforms and is reliably as well as the nh-d15  

22 minutes ago, Juular said:

Looks good except for SSD, get Team MP34.

Never heard of Team MP34 - how reliable are they?

Aim

Programming - Running multiple Virtual machines in parallel , multiple Containers parallel, general dev-ops work.
Gaming - AAA titles - Total War Warhammer 1/2, Battlefield, The witcher 3, Red dead redemption 2, GTA V.

Unfortunately the chromax version isn't available where I'm from so I'd have to deal with the iconic tan brown fans, unless there is a different cpu fan that preforms and is reliably as well as the nh-d15  

Are you able to buy from Amazon UK ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/noctua-NH-D15-chromax-black-dual-tower-cooler/dp/B07Y87YHRH/ref=pd_sbs_147_img_0/257-3180734-9961021?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07Y87YHRH&pd_rd_r=424036ec-75cc-4249-b1df-e1813f973feb&pd_rd_w=2nDqy&pd_rd_wg=NWygT&pf_rd_p=e44592b5-e56d-44c2-a4f9-dbdc09b29395&pf_rd_r=G4F8RFT4RQ5S1QFNJMCH&psc=1&refRID=G4F8RFT4RQ5S1QFNJMCH

If not then look at the BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 as an alternative.

23 minutes ago, emosun said:

the board seems kinda expensive for what it is . same with that gpu. not much storage space either 1800$ but maybe you don't have much to store idk

It's one of the most recommended x570 boards i've seen online - anything else you'd recommend?

It's one of the most recommended x570 boards i've seen online - anything else you'd recommend?

The board is fine. If it fits your budget then stick with it.

3 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Got a link to that info?  

the intel 665p is the rerelease I’m talking about, but all you need to know is that it just updated the controller and not the nand.

24 minutes ago, Cpaz said:

Personally, I think you might be overdoing it with the corsair ram. You can find G Skill memory for almost half the price for the same config (including voltage)

Here's what I'm referring to on pcpartpicker.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cf98TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb

Of course, there is the question of brand reliability, but I've had good luck with G Skill so far.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your reply!
I did opt to go with corsair because i've seen that their more popular. Also the price difference is pretty negligible here.

8 minutes ago, wittydavid said:

Never heard of Team MP34 - how reliable are they?

Same controller and NAND combination as on Corsair MP510 which is very acclaimed SSD, it doesn't necessarily mean that they will perform exactly the same but there are reviews on Team MP34 too, go check them, it's a very good SSD.

25 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

80% full drive :

qkS1CTf.png

And OS becomes REALLY unresponsive at that. That SSD is my regret of the year, i've seriously considered to replace it several times already, just can't justify it, i really don't move files that big often, but buying it new when there's way better options for the same price is a different case.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

26 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

Good build, it just sucks that the Noctua cooler destroy the look of the PC. Maybe check for the all black version of the cooler?

Yea you're no the first to mention that haha 

Unfortunately the chromax version isn't available where I'm from so I'd have to deal with the iconic tan brown fans, unless there is a different cpu fan that preforms and is reliably as well as the nh-d15

11 minutes ago, wittydavid said:

Unfortunately the chromax version isn't available where I'm from so I'd have to deal with the iconic tan brown fans, unless there is a different cpu fan that preforms and is reliably as well as the nh-d15

What's that build for by the way ? If it's just for gaming then you can go with R7 3700X with still a plenty of 'future proofing' (it's pointless) and some less giant and ugly cooler like Scythe Fuma 2.

I see, maybe an AIO is the way to go then ? Look for Eisbaer 280\360mm AIO, they seem to be pretty cheap in EU.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

9 minutes ago, wittydavid said:

What Country are you in ? 

23 minutes ago, wittydavid said:

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition is pretty good. Or the Be Quiet Dark Rock. 

52 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

Most drives are QLC or TLC now. Also the intel 660p is not slower than an HDD when over  50% usage. The write speeds are slow, but it is perfect for something like a steam drive. However I wouldn't recommend using it as the boot drive. There are SSDs that are slightly more expensive and give better sustained performance.

I just ran a 32mb benchmark on my near 70% full 660p and as you can see it is much faster than a hard drive. 

Capture.PNG