AMD FirePro W5000 Bridged

So I was given 2 old workstations from work they both are exactly the same. I was wondering if its possible to run both of the FirePro W5000 with the crossfire bridge cable. I've gathered that these graphics cards are not made for gaming but will they be decent if both are being used?

mother board: Asus Z87-pro

cpu: i7-4770

gpu: AMD FirePro W5000

I understand this isn't a great setup but free is free. Just wondering if it would be a good starter machine for gaming or if I can upgrade something to make it run better??

I don't think you need a crossfire bridge cable to run cards in Crossfire.

If the cards are supported, the option should appear in the drivers.

The minimum if i remember correctly is to have them in a pci-e x4 slot or higher.

They're basically HD 7770 like in performance, which isn't that great to begin with.

I remember I had a 7750 Ghz edition and it started to show its age with modern games. Vulkan based games like Doom were running at 5-10fps at 1280x720 , while regular games ran a bit better if they had DX 9 rendering paths.

Keep in mind that not all games support Crossfire, and it's not enabled automatically for all games. But you can try.

13 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I don't think you need a crossfire bridge cable to run cards in Crossfire.

If the cards are supported, the option should appear in the drivers.

The minimum if i remember correctly is to have them in a pci-e x4 slot or higher.

They're basically HD 7770 like in performance, which isn't that great to begin with.

I remember I had a 7750 Ghz edition and it started to show its age with modern games. Vulkan based games like Doom were running at 5-10fps at 1280x720 , while regular games ran a bit better if they had DX 9 rendering paths.

Keep in mind that not all games support Crossfire, and it's not enabled automatically for all games. But you can try.

Are there any decent graphics card options that are compatible with the Asus Z87-Pro motherboard that would run newer games ? I don't know much about this stuff.

AMD RX 570 cards are very cheap these days (often under 100$) and they'll run modern games at full hd (1080p) with medium-high quality settings.

That's the lowest I would recommend buying these days.

From nVidia, the alternatives would be GTX 1650 or GTX 1660. Gtx 1050 maybe, but I think it has poor value for the money... too expensive for the performance it has.

Amazon.com: PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 570 AXRX 570 4GBD5-3DHD/OC: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Sapphire 11266-34-20G Radeon Pulse RX 570 ITX 4GB GDDR5 HDMI/ DVI-D/ DP (UEFI) PCI-E Graphics Card: Computers & Accessories

20 minutes ago, mariushm said:

AMD RX 570 cards are very cheap these days (often under 100$) and they'll run modern games at full hd (1080p) with medium-high quality settings.

That's the lowest I would recommend buying these days.

From nVidia, the alternatives would be GTX 1650 or GTX 1660. Gtx 1050 maybe, but I think it has poor value for the money... too expensive for the performance it has.

Amazon.com: PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 570 AXRX 570 4GBD5-3DHD/OC: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Sapphire 11266-34-20G Radeon Pulse RX 570 ITX 4GB GDDR5 HDMI/ DVI-D/ DP (UEFI) PCI-E Graphics Card: Computers & Accessories

Thanks for the help! looks like I have a friend that has a AMD RX 570 laying around so he is giving it to me! So far PC gaming is working out great! haha