Do I, or do I not need a GPU

kodiak211
Go to solution Solved by kodiak211,

Thanks for the help, and suggestions, greatly appreciate it...

I am a noob to building.

Configuration I'm planing

-AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

-Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard

-AMD stock air cooler

-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory

-Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

I have no plans to overclock, or tinker with this computer, after it's built, aside from cleaning it from time to time.

This computer will be my daily driver, work station, art studio, etc. While simultaneously being a Plex server.

Multiple devices running 1080p content, with future plans to upgrade to 4K devices, and streaming 4K content.

With the option of playing games.

The motherboard has a HDMI port, so I'm assuming a graphics card isn't necessarily needed.

I'm also assuming, in order for me to play games, and watch 4K content on my monitor, I'll need a graphics card.

Not looking to spend a lot, if needed, what's the best graphics card for this configuration, and my needs? Of course while keeping consistent in performance with the overall configuration.

11 minutes ago, kodiak211 said:

Ryzen 7 3700X

This CPU doesn't have built-in Radeon graphics, dedicated GPU is needed.

I have no plans to overclock

Consider getting non X version, save a few bucks, even if you were to overclock, X version offers very little benefits even then.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

The 3700x has no integrated gpu.  You need A gpu if you want the machine to have a screen you can see.  It would be possible to log into it from another machine that did have one and run the machine as a “headless” pc so in theory no.  In practice though generally yes.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

you motherboard has a hdmi for the case you are using a cpu with a  built in graphics chip. the 3700x doesn't have a built in graphics chip, so you will definitely need a dedicated gpu.

to complement your build, I'd go for a rx5700xt or a 2070 super.

the rest of your builds looks good. i would save some money by getting a cheaper ssd than samsung. something like a corsair mp510, a silicon power a80, sabrent rocket.

I am a noob to building.

Configuration I'm planing

-AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

-Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard

-AMD stock air cooler

-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory

-Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

I have no plans to overclock, or tinker with this computer, after it's built, aside from cleaning it from time to time.

This computer will be my daily driver, work station, art studio, etc. While simultaneously being a Plex server.

Multiple devices running 1080p content, with future plans to upgrade to 4K devices, and streaming 4K content.

With the option of playing games.

The motherboard has a HDMI port, so I'm assuming a graphics card isn't necessarily needed.

I'm also assuming, in order for me to play games, and watch 4K content on my monitor, I'll need a graphics card.

Not looking to spend a lot, if needed, what's the best graphics card for this configuration, and my needs? Of course while keeping consistent in performance with the overall configuration.

Which gpu to buy depends a lot on what exactly you want to do and how much money you can spend on a GPU.

The use cases seem to be general communications device art of some kind, and games of some kind.

-general communications requires almost nothing. For that alone, A $20 used video card would be fine.

-“art” will require more gpu.  At this point the type of art done has an impact on what is needed

-“games” has a similar but slightly different impact.  What kind of games also needs to be defined.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

-“art” will require more gpu.  At this point the type of art done has an impact on what is needed

In this area, I can be all over the place, using different programs, for different things. Tho, generally, I'm using adobe Ai, and Ps. Depending on what I'm doing, I'll dabble in some 3D programs, like blender.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

-“games” has a similar but slightly different impact.  What kind of games also needs to be defined.

Currently, due to the restraints of my current set up. I usually play Cities Skylines. This game seems to be heavy on RAM, I have no real issue running it on my Dell inspiron 7547, with an i5, not sure what GPU, other then it being a Intel(R) HD Graphics.

But I would like to play shooter games, COD, and things like that.

I'm guessing, I'm really just looking to build something well rounded. And of course long lasting.

4 minutes ago, kodiak211 said:

In this area, I can be all over the place, using different programs, for different things. Tho, generally, I'm using adobe Ai, and Ps. Depending on what I'm doing, I'll dabble in some 3D programs, like blender.

Currently, due to the restraints of my current set up. I usually play Cities Skylines. This game seems to be heavy on RAM, I have no real issue running it on my Dell inspiron 7547, with an i5, not sure what GPU, other then it being a Intel(R) HD Graphics.

But I would like to play shooter games, COD, and things like that.

Best options would be 5700xt or a 2070 super imo. Stating how much you can spend on it would help.

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Best options would be 5700xt or a 2070 super imo. Stating how much you can spend on it would help. 

My budget is $1500. Currently, I'm looking at spending 966.96, while needing a GPU, and case left to consider.

2 minutes ago, kodiak211 said:

My budget is $1500. Currently, I'm looking at spending 966.96, while needing a GPU, and case left to consider.

5700xt or a 2070 super then fits your budget, I would lean towards 5700xt personally, but if you want to play with RTX, go team green/2070 super.

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

5700xt or a 2070 super then fits your budget, I would lean towards 5700xt personally, but if you want to play with RTX, go team green/2070 super.

Eh I'd get a 2070 Super, just because he also uses stuff like blender so the better CUDA stuff will help there.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

6 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

Eh I'd get a 2070 Super, just because he also uses stuff like blender so the better CUDA stuff will help there.

Yeah, you are right, but both cards are good options, in my area 2070 is way more expensive, if that's the case where op lives, 5700xt will work.

1 minute ago, Adorable Cat said:

Being that I have a Nvidia shield, I'll probably go with a Nvidia brand, being that you can stream games from your PC, using a Nvidia GPU.

Thanks for the help, and suggestions, greatly appreciate it...