CPU Cooler for M900 Desktop (ThinkCentre) - Type 10FC - Model 10FCS0KU00

The_Geek

I have this desktop: M900 Desktop (ThinkCentre) - Type 10FC - Model 10FCS0KU00

I am using this desktop for my security cameras, but the OEM cooler is not able to keep up.

I wanted to replace it with an after market cooler, I tried Scythe Big Shuriken 3 Low Profile 120mm Air CPU Cooler, but the holes of the MB mount and the cooler do not match.

Need a suggestion for an aftermarket CPU cooler, low profile if possible that will fit the MOBO holes for the install.

44 minutes ago, The_Geek said:

I have this desktop: M900 Desktop (ThinkCentre) - Type 10FC - Model 10FCS0KU00

I am using this desktop for my security cameras, but the OEM cooler is not able to keep up.

I wanted to replace it with an after market cooler, I tried Scythe Big Shuriken 3 Low Profile 120mm Air CPU Cooler, but the holes of the MB mount and the cooler do not match.

Need a suggestion for an aftermarket CPU cooler, low profile if possible that will fit the MOBO holes for the install.

Huh?  That thing has tons of different adaptors.  That thing should fit every standard intel and AMD socket for the past 15 years.  None of them worked? 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I know right?

The thing is that MOBO is designed in a way that the capacitors are right nest to the CPU mount, so the mount although fits the holes( You have to force it), but when you start to tighten the Cooler, that screw hits the capacitors early in the tightening process. So now you cannot fasten the cooler to the Mobo...without damaging or bending the capacitors..

M900MOBO.JPG

How tall is the casing clearance? I think there are some cpu coolers that have a narrow bottom that can fit that.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Is something like pic below gonna work? It’s a bit raised and worst case scenario if mounting bracket is colliding with capacitors then you can trim it

5237F673-0CAB-4F34-AA65-A078F32B7566.jpeg

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

image.png.9c950d55dff0c7852c393ece3e89fe34.pngIt is not the bottom of the cooler.. that is high enough for the capacitors, what the issue is that the bracket is not straight.. it has a curve, and the curve goes over the capacitors exactly where you would screw in the cooler to the MoBo... If the bracket was straight, it might work.

There is a straight bracket in the package as well, but it does not match the mounting holes on the MoBo...

These OEM's create such non-standard boards that it is not even funny...

Edited by The_Geek

One thought is that if it used to keep up but isn’t anymore that you might be able to get away with replacing just the fan.  Intel stock coolers are usually one piece though.  Might have to replace everything with new, and not get any better cooling than you had, which is annoying.

bracketless mounts exist for some coolers for some socket types.  They tend to be a lot pickier as to which socket they fit on.  I don’t know socket types well enough to tell which one that is from the pic just by looking, and Lenovo doesn’t want to give me any info about anything without a serial number.  Which socket or cpu is that?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Attached a screenshot of the CPU-Z

I am not sure if this would help, even if the Socket is known, the freaking construction of the MoBo is what is hindring the install.

Lenovo Socket.JPG

2 minutes ago, The_Geek said:

Any Ideas...???

Go animal and use zip ties for mounting?  It’s a not unheard of one for mounting water blocks to GPUs. One advantage is holes don’t even need to line up exactly.  Also it’s cheap.  It’s got its issues.  You did say ANY ideas.

• 2 years later...

Have this exact same tower and in the process of making it a sleeper thus not utilizing the OEM motherboard (Went with a B550M TUF Gaming Plus Wifi)

Am curious of the maximum CPU height clearance from the side panel though. Given the casing is 175mm across total, taking away the standoffs and inset of the side panel, even using a 120mm cooler may prove to be a tight squeeze.