What the fuck did I do.

So I have a 15" dell g3 with a 8300H i5, 16gb ram(up from 8gb stock), gt630 and a gtx 1050 ti, and a 256 gb m.2 ssd.  It was giving me some weird troubles in windows which was the dell g3 specific instillation (I found it was my error after the fact, had to go into cmd and activate the admin user) and I decided to reinstall windows with a fresh instillation.  No big deal.  So I pull the ssd and put it in my tower and wipe it.  No problems.  Put it back in the laptop and install windows, nothing weird other than a couple black screen half second flashes which I dismissed as windows looking for drivers for the integrated graphics and dual dedicated cards.  I went about the usual installations of steam, discord, chrome, etc. Everything went fine.  Was using youtube for a couple hours and it then bluescreens (windows needs to restart blah blah) and I'm like um ok thats a little weird and about half an hour later it did it again then a little while after it hard crashes.  Black screen, loud static from speakers, the whole nine.  (this was about a year and a half old windows instillation disk (usb) so I made a new disk and tried that.  Nothing wrong then a couple hours pass and I get a hard crash again but this time it is bars of black probably about 16 of them in equal widths over my desktop which is locked.  Am I correct in thinking my ssd went bad somehow?  I haven't tried to reseat it but I will soon after I post this.  I do have a console pc/test bench that I can rob an sata ssd from to test too. I also couldn't find the dell g3 specific windows online just a generic dell one.

9 minutes ago, thunderwolf7478 said:

So I have a 15" dell g3 with a 8300H i5, 16gb ram(up from 8gb stock), gt630 and a gtx 1050 ti, and a 256 gb m.2 ssd.  It was giving me some weird troubles in windows which was the dell g3 specific instillation (I found it was my error after the fact, had to go into cmd and activate the admin user) and I decided to reinstall windows with a fresh instillation.  No big deal.  So I pull the ssd and put it in my tower and wipe it.  No problems.  Put it back in the laptop and install windows, nothing weird other than a couple black screen half second flashes which I dismissed as windows looking for drivers for the integrated graphics and dual dedicated cards.  I went about the usual installations of steam, discord, chrome, etc. Everything went fine.  Was using youtube for a couple hours and it then bluescreens (windows needs to restart blah blah) and I'm like um ok thats a little weird and about half an hour later it did it again then a little while after it hard crashes.  Black screen, loud static from speakers, the whole nine.  (this was about a year and a half old windows instillation disk (usb) so I made a new disk and tried that.  Nothing wrong then a couple hours pass and I get a hard crash again but this time it is bars of black probably about 16 of them in equal widths over my desktop which is locked.  Am I correct in thinking my ssd went bad somehow?  I haven't tried to reseat it but I will soon after I post this.  I do have a console pc/test bench that I can rob an sata ssd from to test too. I also couldn't find the dell g3 specific windows online just a generic dell one.

First off, please format your post as I really had a hard time reading the above wall of text.

Second, did you reinstall all the drivers from Dell's website after installing a clean version of Windows, or did you just "trust" that Windows wouldn't fudge it up when you allowed Windows to try to find all the right drivers? Asking because although Windows 10 is way better at finding drivers these days, I'd still want to install all the correct drivers from Dell's website for your particular laptop model.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I have only one possible which may mean nothing.  It’s kind of a shot in the dark.

This ram upgrade interests me.  Crashes in the middle of normal use I understand is associated often with ram problems.  Was this ram upgrade done and running for a while previous to the new problems?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

First off, please format your post as I really had a hard time reading the above wall of text.

Second, did you reinstall all the drivers from Dell's website after installing a clean version of Windows, or did you just "trust" that Windows wouldn't fudge it up when you allowed Windows to try to find all the right drivers? Asking because although Windows 10 is way better at finding drivers these days, I'd still want to install all the correct drivers from Dell's website for your particular laptop model.

Good point drivers would probably help duh.  I'll install those right now.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I have only one possible which may mean nothing.  It’s kind of a shot in the dark.

This ram upgrade interests me.  Crashes in the middle of normal use I understand is associated often with ram problems.  Was this ram upgrade done and running for a while previous to the new problems?

Yeah it was done and working for a couple weeks before I did this windows reinstall

22 minutes ago, kirashi said:

its bluescreened 3 times while trying to start up support assist to detect drivers so

1 minute ago, thunderwolf7478 said:

its bluescreened 3 times while trying to start up support assist to detect drivers so

So don't use support assist? Download the drivers individually from Dell's support site and see how that goes.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

39 minutes ago, kirashi said:

So don't use support assist? Download the drivers individually from Dell's support site and see how that goes.

after battling with the bluescreen for half an hour I finally got the intel storage driver on lol.  Seems to be working for now but we will I suppose.  Thanks.

On 12/15/2019 at 11:13 PM, thunderwolf7478 said:

after battling with the bluescreen for half an hour I finally got the intel storage driver on lol.  Seems to be working for now but we will I suppose.  Thanks.

Yeah so drivers didn't work.  Haven't had a bluescreen but I got another hard crash today.  I'm thinking ssd...

5 minutes ago, thunderwolf7478 said:

Yeah so drivers didn't work.  Haven't had a bluescreen but I got another hard crash today.  I'm thinking ssd...

Is there an overclock involved in this?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Is there an overclock involved in this?

Not on the laptop no.  I only really overclock my desktop.

Temptation is to hard erase the SsD. Write zeros on everything and then checksum to make sure you actually got all zeros.  Maybe too much work.  Also kinda scorched earth.  Very possibly not the best plan or even a good one.  Something one might do with a much much smaller drive.  I dunno.  I’ve been up too long perhaps.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Temptation is to hard erase the SsD. Write zeros on everything and then checksum to make sure you actually got all zeros.  Maybe too much work.  Also kinda scorched earth.  Very possibly not the best plan or even a good one.  Something one might do with a much much smaller drive.  I dunno.  I’ve been up too long perhaps.

I wiped it fully once before and that didn't help it's a m.2 256gb I am going to try another sata ssd that I have laying around and see if I get the same problem and if not I'm going to buy a 500gb Samsung Evo, I'll let you know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Gah so bad plan. I’m hopefully more awake this time.  Didn’t notice the laptop bit before.  Goes back to a laptop possibly having special drivers.  Laptops tend to be built weird.  They often have to have stuff built just for them.  This  could well be a factor of the Dell install and win10’s obnoxious habit of installing anything it thinks is “the most current” whether it makes the computer actually work or not.  Maybe go to the Dell website and download every driver and special patch they got for your model, stop the win10 auto update for everything except security patches (there are apparently several ways) and then install all the Dell stuff.