Backup Win7 on a USB with Win10 install?

TOdom

I have a USB drive with the Windows 10 installation on it. I'm wondering if it's possible to backup the Windows 7 that I'm using now on that same drive. I want to eventually boot a fresh Win10 install from that drive and I'm wondering if it will have problems choosing rather to boot from Win10 or the Win7 backup. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, TOdom said:

I have a USB drive with the Windows 10 installation on it. I'm wondering if it's possible to backup the Windows 7 that I'm using now on that same drive. I want to eventually boot a fresh Win10 install from that drive and I'm wondering if it will have problems choosing rather to boot from Win10 or the Win7 backup. Thanks!

What kind of backup are we talking here? Because I'd assume a regular backup isn't bootable. Does the drive contain an image of Windows 10, or is it an installer created by Microsoft's installation tool?

I'd probably create a second partition and place the backup there, depending on the size of the stick, just to make sure the backup doesn't overwrite or corrupt the installation media in some way.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

On 12/14/2019 at 9:54 AM, Eigenvektor said:

What kind of backup are we talking here? Because I'd assume a regular backup isn't bootable. Does the drive contain an image of Windows 10, or is it an installer created by Microsoft's installation tool?

I'd probably create a second partition and place the backup there, depending on the size of the stick, just to make sure the backup doesn't overwrite or corrupt the installation media in some way.

I downloaded the Win10 installation media from Microsoft's website. It makes sense that a regular backup isn't bootable though but a second partition sounds like a good idiot proof thing to do, thanks!