Unraid help

Daemonpro

hi everyone i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction 

so i have a unraid server with 2 power supplies and im trying to find a way to have unraid perform a proper shutdown when one of the power supplies fails

one psu is connected to the wall AC while the other is on a UPS however my UPS is not a smart UPS so no way to interface with it

any help would be appreciated ive been stuck on this for a few days 

thanks !!

1 hour ago, Daemonpro said:

hi everyone i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction 

so i have a unraid server with 2 power supplies and im trying to find a way to have unraid perform a proper shutdown when one of the power supplies fails

one psu is connected to the wall AC while the other is on a UPS however my UPS is not a smart UPS so no way to interface with it

any help would be appreciated ive been stuck on this for a few days 

thanks !!

I might try THEIR forums for this one... Pretty "out there" goal.

As Linus insinuated, this is going to be a bit of a challenge. Without the hardware/software interconnect a SmartUPS and OS that has a supported driver offers you would basically need to create this layer yourself. Now something like a Pi or Arduino that could check if line power is gone then trigger a relay to short the pwr pins on the motherboard for say 250ms or 500ms that'd work great but outside of this I can't think of anything else.

Best of luck.

Maybe just find a used very small capacity cheap smart UPS that you don't connect the server PSUs to just connect the USB or network interface to issue the shutdown commands. That's the least effort solution I can think of.

The other option is if your server has functioning IPMI (iLO, iDRAC w/e) is just query the hardware status of the PSUs through that then if one is not powered shutdown the server. A basic scheduled task/cron job will be able to do this.

4 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

As Linus insinuated, this is going to be a bit of a challenge. Without the hardware/software interconnect a SmartUPS and OS that has a supported driver offers you would basically need to create this layer yourself. Now something like a Pi or Arduino that could check if line power is gone then trigger a relay to short the pwr pins on the motherboard for say 250ms or 500ms that'd work great but outside of this I can't think of anything else.

Best of luck.

Yeah I think its doable maybe a wemos D1 mini tied to the power switch pins on the mother board then a script/sketch with one of those amp clamps on each power supply or better yet a power monitoring Sonoff integrated with home assistant flashed with tasmota would be an option but I admit you have a bit of research to do but I think its doable and at a reasonable cost

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

okay thanks everyone for the advise ill try unraid forums see if theres anything, i enventually plan on getting a smart ups for the server its a old dell poweredge with 2 750 watt psu in it 

• 2 months later...

Hey, not sure thiws is of any use but I also have a similar situation. I have a Poweredge T410 with a 2 socket + redundant PSUs of 750w each. I also have both idrac cards 6th gen.

I got into unraid a few month ago as i realized i had all this power and windows server os just didnt give me enough or without too many hoops to pass into for runnung VMs that run off linux. Here is what i have learned, idrad is not a system meant for OS access. You can utilize the tools available to access the drac interface but its the same as remote access. Because of the age of your server and i assume the version of drac, like for me, running custom scripts was a challenge a lot bigger than you might think as you'd have to have them accessible at boot using the flashcard slot of the drac. Unraid can access pretty much the same things as windows, mostly IPMI information and logs. I dont know how much more you can do with a newer server but pretty much any 12G server and before is not as integrated with the OS for everything thats the remote access controller