M-ATX am4 motherboard for sleeper computer

I have a computer case that is sitting around, and wanted to make it into a sleeper pc, the case is a matx hp envy 700 series, and my budget is around $150 (for the board)

32 minutes ago, Chambersofsecret said:

I have a computer case that is sitting around, and wanted to make it into a sleeper pc, the case is a matx hp envy 700 series, and my budget is around $150 (for the board)

standard bang/buck motherboard atm is b450 tomahawk MAX.  X570 doesn’t start till it’s out of your price range.  The b450 has some limitations but they may not matter.  It’s Pcie 3.0, it will take only 1 video card and 1 nvme slot.  Other than that though it’s a high end gaming board.

Re: general thoughts sleepers and that case:

The big thing with sleepers is getting enough airflow without looking like you’re doing it.

the lower cage can go entirely.  Possibly the upper cage too if you’re willing to Not have a dvd that actually works.  This allows you to make some limited use of that not-so-great front air on the sides of the case. 3x120mm liquid cooler fans facing in.  Maybe with a liquid cooler on them maybe not. The high static pressure is needed though because that’s some pretty impeded airflow there.

You also may be looking at some 80mm fans as well because you’ve got the perforations in the one side.

With that case the PSU is part of the airflow too.  It faces down and blows air out the back.  You’ll want a PSU you can use that way.

3x120mm in, 1x120/140 + 3x80mm out plus whatever you get out of the PSU fan.

You might be able to get away without cutting a fan hole in the bottom of the case. (A standard sleeper move)  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Nice, thanks!, with the PSU, I could  just take it and flip the fan to face the right way, or is that bad?

Also wouldn't it be better to use AIO cooler(s) vs a custom loop in a case that small, and with it being a sleeper, no one will see its guts anywho

1 hour ago, Chambersofsecret said:

Nice, thanks!, with the PSU, I could  just take it and flip the fan to face the right way, or is that bad?

Also wouldn't it be better to use AIO cooler(s) vs a custom loop in a case that small, and with it being a sleeper, no one will see its guts anywho

It wouldn’t be if you cut an air inlet hole for it.  The problem is you get a hole and less cooling.

AIO has its good points and bad points.  Modern CPUs don’t run very hot and overclocking them usually sucks, but GPUs produce tons of heat.  Big AIO on the front for the GPU (there are adaptors) and air cool the CPU.  Or maybe AIO it too by cutting that hole in the bottom.  Or a really tight custom loop and do both.  Your gpu is likely to produce twice the waste heat of your cpu though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

40 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It wouldn’t be if you cut an air inlet hole for it.  The problem is you get a hole and less cooling.

AIO has its good points and bad points.  Modern CPUs don’t run very hot and overclocking them usually sucks, but GPUs produce tons of heat.  Big AIO on the front for the GPU (there are adaptors) and air cool the CPU.  Or maybe AIO it too by cutting that hole in the bottom.  Or a really tight custom loop and do both.  Your gpu is likely to produce twice the waste heat of your cpu though.

Ok, do you know of any cpu air coolers that would fit in a case like that?

23 minutes ago, Chambersofsecret said:

Ok, do you know of any cpu air coolers that would fit in a case like that?

Basically all of em.  And that’s the aftermarket stuff.  I’m not super big on aftermarket air coolers atm.  Overclocking doesn’t do what it used to so non stock cpu air coolers are less important. If you go AMD get an “x” version.  It will come with a slightly bigger stock air cooler which should be enough for most things (tropical countries excepted.  If you’re in Egypt or something an aftermarket air cooler will be needed just to maintain temps.  Hot summers)

Oh, one more thing: if you go with an AIO water cooler for the gpu pick the adaptor you can get then a card to fit it then an AIO to fit the adaptor.  The adaptors are the rarest bit and they don’t fit everything.

Edited by Bombastinator
One more thing

not much to add, except everytime i see a pic of a optiplex 7010 i wish i would of had knowhow and means to go this route when i built my new system.  Thermaltake H18s great and all but having a sleeping dragon on your desk ?