Jake's Home server setup

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Hey man! :D

Here's my current NAS setup:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2670 v3 (12 core)

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SRL-F

RAM: 48GB of 2666MHz DDR4 ECC from Kingston

Case: Rosewill RSV-L4412 (12 bay hotswap)

PSU: Corsair RM1000i w/ sleeved cables (lol)

Cache SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB (random one I had kicking around)

Hard Drives: 4x12TB IronWolf Pro + 2x8TB Seagate Barracuda + 2x4TB Seagate Barracuda + 1x4TB WD Black (these are all random HDDs I've collected over time)

And I'm running Unraid for the OS as I have a mishmash of drives, and don't need it to be super fast or anything.

I was rewatching Linus's 10 gig home networking video and I was wondering what is Jake's Home server. Does anyone seem to know and has he ever posted his home setup? I have seen his pc setup in the best pc setup showcase of lmg team members. 

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2670 v3 (12 core)

Case: Rosewill RSV-L4412 (12 bay hotswap)

PSU: Corsair RM1000i w/ sleeved cables (lol)

Hard Drives: 4x12TB IronWolf Pro + 2x8TB Seagate Barracuda + 2x4TB Seagate Barracuda + 1x4TB WD Black (these are all random HDDs I've collected over time)

And I'm running Unraid for the OS as I have a mishmash of drives, and don't need it to be super fast or anything.

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

On 12/10/2019 at 8:59 PM, jakkuh_t said:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2670 v3

Case: Silverstone GD08

PSU: Cooler Master RM750 (random one I had kicking around)

Hard Drives: 2x8TB Seagate Barracuda + 2x4TB Seagate Barracuda + 1x4TB WD Black (these are all random HDDs I've collected over time)

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/81709/intel-xeon-processor-e5-2670-v3-30m-cache-2-30-ghz.html

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10SRL-F

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KINGSTON-TECHNOLOGY-SERVER-KTD-PE426S8-8G-8GB-ECC-REG-DDR4-2666MHZ-MODULE/352849617897

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=331

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/850evo/

https://www.seagate.com/ca/en/internal-hard-drives/hdd/barracuda/

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-hdd

Good day,

I would like to request some guidance from you. I am a noob nas builder and I recently bought used supermicro

board x10srl-f. I am looking for ram for it atm. I saw that in your configuration your processor supports a max speed of 2133mhz (v3 processors) and the motherboard supports max speed of 2400mhz for (v4 processors) and the ram you are using is 2666mhz. What is the speed of the Ram in your configuration? Did the ram downclock to the speed of your processor? If not what did you do and what was your experience? What speed of ram do you recommend?

Thanks for your response in advance.

Kind Regards

shinta0saint1

2 hours ago, shinta0saint1 said:

Good day,

I would like to request some guidance from you. I am a noob nas builder and I recently bought used supermicro

board x10srl-f. I am looking for ram for it atm. I saw that in your configuration your processor supports a max speed of 2133mhz (v3 processors) and the motherboard supports max speed of 2400mhz for (v4 processors) and the ram you are using is 2666mhz. What is the speed of the Ram in your configuration? Did the ram downclock to the speed of your processor? If not what did you do and what was your experience? What speed of ram do you recommend?

Kind Regards

shinta0saint1

I honestly installed it, booted it up, and didn't even look at it. :P

Just go for whatever is in your price range, for this application and on these older CPUs chances are its not going to make much difference at all.

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

3 hours ago, jakkuh_t said:

I honestly installed it, booted it up, and didn't even look at it. :P

Just go for whatever is in your price range, for this application and on these older CPUs chances are its not going to make much difference at all.

Thank you ?, if you do get a chance, I would really like to know the results of your config.

6 hours ago, shinta0saint1 said:

Good day,

Kind Regards

shinta0saint1

You can't really enable higher speed RAM in these Supermicro server boards (unless you stick an i series CPU in them). They will run at the default speed of the CPU. I have a SuperMicro X10SRA-F and a Intel Xeon E5-2695V3, the RAM runs at 2133MHz.

The old Xeons are kind of getting pointless with how fast Ryzen is now sadly.

1 hour ago, scottyseng said:

You can't really enable higher speed RAM in these Supermicro server boards (unless you stick an i series CPU in them). They will run at the default speed of the CPU. I have a SuperMicro X10SRA-F and a Intel Xeon E5-2695V3, the RAM runs at 2133MHz.

The old Xeons are kind of getting pointless with how fast Ryzen is now sadly.

Thanks for your contribution  ?