Filesystem/backup service/accessibility and compatibility issues

NetherRealm

I am looking to set up a server locally and not remotely to cut costs to backup and store EVERYTHING that I have on ALL of my drives, phones, laptops, and VMs all into one place to combat my ever duplicating file/folder structures and to make everything I have easier to access as well as make backing up easier and with fewer steps of copying data around from drive to drive, and from device to device...

I have God knows how many files in an obscene number of folders, and folders buried DEEEEEEEP within a MASSIVE folder-sub-folder-sub-foldersub-foldersub-folder... storage structure where I tend to get a LOT of issues with windows not liking to put up with me and my long path name bulls#!t and this makes managing, moving, transferring etc. my files a god awful pain.

There has got to be a better way to manage, access and store my files, but I. NOT willing to alter ANY parts of my storage structure since I am afraid of windows absolutely crumbling and *ucking up my files, not moving them or completely losing them outright.

What feature I am (desperately) searching for:

- Super long path names (and filenames)

- The ability to access my files from any device, doesn't need to be exactly through the built in file managers though that would be convenient.

- Easy to manage and modify my files on numerous devices.

- Easy to move EVERYTHING from one storage device to another for future storage expansions.

- *file revisions (this is not necessary but would be a godsend for when I make yet another stupid mistake and corrupt my bootloader/ cause Linux/windows to not boot.)

To explain a bit better, I want the version history of git, with the ability to modify and view my files in a file explorer/manager, on a filesystem that I can access (relatively) easily on both Windows and Linux, that I can also access remotely and be able to view & modify my files, view & manage revisions, as well as access the filesystem/service remotely from both Windows and linux (and Android).

Am I just overthinking everything? I currently use a Linux VM to host my ftp server, which I log into to view and manage my files, but when it comes to copying my files I to and out of that VM it gets a little *um messy. I have 2 VHDs one for ext(#whatever) and one for NTFS, but Linux software for managing an NTFS partition while not triggering windows into thinking it's using roughly 200GB more than it actually used is a major issue...

What do?

Feel free to ask ANY questions to help me figure out what I need to do and what I should actually be doing.

16 minutes ago, NetherRealm said:

Super long path names (and filenames)

how long? id try to keep it under 256 chars if you can.

17 minutes ago, NetherRealm said:

The ability to access my files from any device, doesn't need to be exactly through the built in file managers though that would be convenient.

Most devices will mount and deal with smb(andriod, windows, ios, linux, osx)

17 minutes ago, NetherRealm said:

*file revisions (this is not necessary but would be a godsend for when I make yet another stupid mistake and corrupt my bootloader/ cause Linux/windows to not boot.)

zfs and others can show their snapshots over smb with shadow copies.

How much storage are you thinking?