I think I broke my pc :(

Go to solution Solved by MikeChungis,

Hi everyone, gonna post a final update so that if someone runs into this weird issue they can fix it: I followed everyones' advice who chimed in, but nothing seemed to work. However, when I booted my PC WITHOUT the cmos battery in I was given the "config has changed" screen finally, recognizing my i5. After this I was able to get my new i7 recognized as well too. I'm not sure why this fixed it as I had removed it for 10 minutes to let it drain the first time (maybe it needed more?), but thank you to everyone who helped me today!

Hey all first time poster here, just trying to get as much info as I can because I think I broke the only good pc I’ve had and wanna know what I can do, I’m gonna copy my original reddit post as it was a good explanation.

I think I broke my computer

Hey everyone, as the title implies I think I broke my desktop. I was upgrading from an i5 4440 to an i7 4790k on my motherboard which is a msi z87 g54. I installed the newest bios for my motherboard, but when I installed everything I was met only with a black screen. So now panicking I install my old cpu back again to try, this time with no fan because I just wanna see if it works. Now the pc still has a black screen with my old cpu in and it stays on for a second before making the turn on sound again. I had to fiddle with it initially when I put my new CPU cooler but I always made sure to ground myself so I don’t think I zapped it. But this is a big deal for me as this is my only pc that I use for all of my games and other media so any help is greatly appreciated

48 minutes ago, MikeChungis said:

fiddle with it initially when I put my new CPU cooler

You didn't have to apply too much pressure or anything?  I once broke a board because the CPU cooler had an insanely bad design and attempting to install it broke a solder joint behind the socket (but that took a lot of force). 

At this point, I would usually pull out the ram and see if the computer gives the standard POST beeps (usually no ram results in the onboard SPKR beeping every second indefinitely).  Also try booting with nothing else plugged in (no GPU, PCI cards, hard drives, just the MOBO/CPU/RAM), clear the BIOS (via the jumper or switch if it has one).  Basically the standard troubleshooting and see if it gives any kicks of life.

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.

My cpu cooler I was installed had a pretty bad design. It was the game max gamma 500 it had a weird clamp design I struggled with getting on before having to use a lot of force. I’m honestly still not sure where the break happened. I’ve tried taking out most things but I’ll try taking out the ram and hdds when I get home. But nothing yet, thanks for the reply!

3 hours ago, 7he404guy said:

You didn't have to apply too much pressure or anything?  I once broke a board because the CPU cooler had an insanely bad design and attempting to install it broke a solder joint behind the socket (but that took a lot of force). 

At this point, I would usually pull out the ram and see if the computer gives the standard POST beeps (usually no ram results in the onboard SPKR beeping every second indefinitely).  Also try booting with nothing else plugged in (no GPU, PCI cards, hard drives, just the MOBO/CPU/RAM), clear the BIOS (via the jumper or switch if it has one).  Basically the standard troubleshooting and see if it gives any kicks of life.

Hey I just got back to try what you suggested. What is the jumper or switch and where would I find that. I tried booting with just CPU, without ram and I didn’t get the beeping sound. Still when I power on the pc I get no signal followed by the computer restarting and making the beep about 15 seconds in, then it just runs indefinitely with no signal. So that was the definitive test to see if it would post right? If it’s not posting with just the cpu or nothing at all it’s probably dead right?

Hi everyone, gonna post a final update so that if someone runs into this weird issue they can fix it: I followed everyones' advice who chimed in, but nothing seemed to work. However, when I booted my PC WITHOUT the cmos battery in I was given the "config has changed" screen finally, recognizing my i5. After this I was able to get my new i7 recognized as well too. I'm not sure why this fixed it as I had removed it for 10 minutes to let it drain the first time (maybe it needed more?), but thank you to everyone who helped me today!

This kind of thing is exactly why I'm reluctant to update BIOS,  I did once because I had to in order for my CPU being recognized but it was a huge pain (thanks MSI!) and I was also greeted with all kinds of errors until I removed the CMOS battery... 

That really shouldn't happen or does it? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity