transfering modded skyrim from HDD to SSD

moustacheman
Go to solution Solved by Vindola,

Hi everyone

I am wanting to move my modded skyrim folder from my HDD (E) to my SSD ©. However i don't want to move my entire steam folder as their just isnt room. Is their way to make steam recognize and run a single game folder in a separate drive. I seem to remember doing this before and simply dragging and dropping does not seem to work :\. Also does anyone have any ideas how this will effect the way Nexus mod manager enables/disables mods? and a way to get round any problems.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day! :)

Well drag and drop did work for me... somewhat.

What I did is copy the DATA folder to another location, uninstalled Skyrim, told Steam to install onto SSD, installed Skyrim, deleted the new DATA folder, placed the old DATA folder in there. And now all works fine.

Note, if you got Nexus Mod Manager, make sure to change Skyrim's directory in it so that it now where Skyrim is. Also, you don't have to change the mod directory in Nexus. For example in my system I got it like this:

Mod Directory: V:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Mods

Instal Info: V:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Install Info

Skyrim Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim (SSD)

Hi everyone

I am wanting to move my modded skyrim folder from my HDD (E) to my SSD ©. However i don't want to move my entire steam folder as their just isnt room. Is their way to make steam recognize and run a single game folder in a separate drive. I seem to remember doing this before and simply dragging and dropping does not seem to work :\. Also does anyone have any ideas how this will effect the way Nexus mod manager enables/disables mods? and a way to get round any problems.

Cpu:4670k- at stock.... for now Gpu:r9-280x crossfire Cooler:KrakenX40 MB:mpower SP Ram:8gb hyperX beast 

copy the folder

put it somewhere else

remove content from steam

install skyrim on steam

paste the folder that you put somewhere else on steam install

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You might have to setup a new library folder.

Steam>settings>downloads>steam library folders>add library folder. Then try moving the game there and verifying it, if it doesn't work the re install it to the directory, and copy-paste the modded folder over it.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Hi everyone

What I did is copy the DATA folder to another location, uninstalled Skyrim, told Steam to install onto SSD, installed Skyrim, deleted the new DATA folder, placed the old DATA folder in there. And now all works fine.

Note, if you got Nexus Mod Manager, make sure to change Skyrim's directory in it so that it now where Skyrim is. Also, you don't have to change the mod directory in Nexus. For example in my system I got it like this:

ok thanks for the info on NMM. I couldnt just copy my data folder as i was also using ENB and other mystical stuff that i dont really understand :D 

in the end i just used a programme called steammover to move the entire file while living a link to the main steam file. 

Cpu:4670k- at stock.... for now Gpu:r9-280x crossfire Cooler:KrakenX40 MB:mpower SP Ram:8gb hyperX beast 

ok thanks for the info on NMM. I couldnt just copy my data folder as i was also using ENB and other mystical stuff that i dont really understand :D

in the end i just used a programme called steammover to move the entire file while living a link to the main steam file. 

Ahhh, the ENB mater is a bit different since it is installed in the main directory and not the data folder. I got ENB RealVision myself, but I installed after the move. I hope everything is working fine, and in case you need help with reinstalling the ENB if it's not working now, I recommend this video which I have used. The ENB it talks about is RealVision, which I personally think is the best.

Ahhh, the ENB mater is a bit different since it is installed in the main directory and not the data folder. I got ENB RealVision myself, but I installed after the move. I hope everything is working fine, and in case you need help with reinstalling the ENB if it's not working now, I recommend this video which I have used. The ENB it talks about is RealVision, which I personally think is the best.

same video i used, its all good now tho :)