Finding The Right Case

2G_Tony
Go to solution Solved by TVwazhere,
Just now, 2G_Tony said:

What do you think, P600S/Evolv X or Lian Li PC-O11D XL?

I've personally always been a fan of the Original PC-O11D, which was the Case of the year in 2018 by multiple Case reviewers. They kept the theme of the XL version the same, just added more space for more stuff including radiators. 

Air cooling GPU's in the O11D can actually be very good if you populate the bottom fan mounts to blow straight upwards into the GPU. No worries there! Between the P600S and the Evolv X, I'l choose the P600S any day simply because you get all the features of the inside, the main difference is the exterior panels. 

The PC-O11D XL layout though simply gives you a completely unique PC case perspective you cant get in many other places. That's probably the case I'd end up with if I was in your position. 

Happy holidays! I recently upgraded my current rig over Black Friday and would like to switch to a new chassis. Sadly it isn't as simple for me as it seems to be for most of you guys; I can't seem to make a decision on which chassis to go with. Starting to lean towards the Dark Base 700 rather than the EVGA DG-86 primarily due to the size. Looking for a chassis that doesn't scream "GAMER" while obviously being an enthusiast-built system. I prefer side panel(s) to be  completely tempered glass with tint. Airflow and noise levels are also very important to me. I'll most likely go with Noctua's NF-12s or NF-A14s to match my color scheme. What do you guys think? This is my current build, apart from the case obviously. 

Here's what I currently have in mind:

Top Picks:

Spoiler

EVGA DG-86/87

Phanteks Enthoo 719

Corsair 500D

Bequiet! Dark Base 700

Possible Contenders:

Spoiler

EVGA DG7

Unaffordable:

Spoiler

Phanteks Enthoo Elite

MBX MKII

Corsair 1000D

Note: I don't have a set budget in mind, but I'd like to keep it under $300

PC: Ryzen 2600X, EVGA 1080 DT, Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 WiFi, Corsair 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold, Phanteks  Enthoo EVOLV ATX

Peripherals: Logitech G502 HERO, Cooler Master ML510, Corsair K68 Cherry MX Red, Dell S2417DG YNY1D 24" 165HZ G-Sync 1440p, Acer XF251Q, 

Audio: AKG K7XX, JBL SLR308 MKI, Scarlett 2i4 (2nd Gen), Sony MDR-7506, Shure SE-215, Audio-Technica AT2020
Server: Dell Poweredge T420 running ESXi, Hosting Plex and Automation services and misc. game servers; 2x Xeon E5-2400, 32GB ECC Memory, ~40TB Storage (Mix of SSDs and HDDs)
Network: Asus RT-AC3100 (Current), Supermicro running pfsense, 10/100/1000/10000 Netgear Switch

Why no Fractal cases? Ultimate "non-gamer" cases with superb airflow, cable management and layout flexibility.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

6 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

Why no Fractal cases? Ultimate "non-gamer" cases with superb airflow, cable management and layout flexibility.

None of them seem to really catch my eye. I had a Fractal before for my first build and wasn't a fan of the build quality.

PC: Ryzen 2600X, EVGA 1080 DT, Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 WiFi, Corsair 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold, Phanteks  Enthoo EVOLV ATX

Peripherals: Logitech G502 HERO, Cooler Master ML510, Corsair K68 Cherry MX Red, Dell S2417DG YNY1D 24" 165HZ G-Sync 1440p, Acer XF251Q, 

Audio: AKG K7XX, JBL SLR308 MKI, Scarlett 2i4 (2nd Gen), Sony MDR-7506, Shure SE-215, Audio-Technica AT2020
Server: Dell Poweredge T420 running ESXi, Hosting Plex and Automation services and misc. game servers; 2x Xeon E5-2400, 32GB ECC Memory, ~40TB Storage (Mix of SSDs and HDDs)
Network: Asus RT-AC3100 (Current), Supermicro running pfsense, 10/100/1000/10000 Netgear Switch

10 minutes ago, 2G_Tony said:

Here's what I currently have in mind:

Top Picks:

Hide contents

EVGA DG-86/87

Possible Contenders:

Hide contents

EVGA DG7

I'm rarely very critical of case choices, but all of EVGA's cases they've released have been absolute garbage. Great motherboards and cards. Absolutely awful cases. 

Your main concerns are Airflow, but the cases you've selected are terrible or decent at best. . For your system (since you mentioned FD cases dont meet your fancy) to suggest looking at the NZXT H710. Best in class cable management and build quality, decent airflow (enough to keep a 360mm AIO well fed) and while it doesnt have sound dampening foam, most noise comes from fans and hard drives, so some fan tuning can go a long way in noise suppression. 

Another great case would be the Phanteks Eclipse P600S which is basically Phanteks's version of the Define R6 and S2, just with a bit edgier aesthetic without going full Gamer. The front face plate can be removed for extra airflow or left on for noise suppression, whichever suits you once the final build is put together. 

Both option have ?USB Type C since you have a motherboard that supports that ;) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Appreciate your input! I haven't heard any negative opinions about the DG-86; does your opinion specifically apply to that case as well or are you unfamiliar with that particular case? I'll be honest, the main reason I'm considering the DG-86 so heavily is  consistency. I also haven't heard many bad things about the Dark Base 700, would you mind noting them for me? 

At the beginning of the year I was nearly positive I would end up with an NZXT, but now they don't seem to give me the same appeal as the Be quiet. As for the Phanteks, I currently have a Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX TG. I like it, but I bought it used and am missing quite a bit of hardware for it and the thermals are hard to control without a custom loop. The P600S just doesn't seem like an upgrade to me. I'm mainly looking for something high-end that I can continue to use for the next few years, can be adequately cooled by air and/or liquid, and offers expand-ability in case I end up getting an additional 2080. 

27 minutes ago, 2G_Tony said:

I'll be honest, the main reason I'm considering the DG-86 so heavily is  consistency. 

The DG-86 came out.... A few years ago? and was EVGA's first case they ever released. While Airflow wise it's actually fine, they did a lot of things with the features of the case that IMO weren't executed well. Looking it up, the price is $269 on amazon, which is better than $319 on newegg (which IIRC is still lower than what it originally launched at) Price wise it makes slightly more sense form a "Getting what you pay for" sense, but I honestly havent seen a review of the case in three years so I cant remember exact details. 

31 minutes ago, 2G_Tony said:

I also haven't heard many bad things about the Dark Base 700, would you mind noting them for me? 

The dark base 700 is a good case. Build quality is good and noise suppression is great. It's airflow that's severely lacking, but thats because the be quiet! cases are targeting silent as possible as cases, which means there's usually a sacrifice in overall airflow that can be achieved. If the goal is both airflow and noise, the best solution is to get a good airflow case and tune the fan speeds to be quiet, or get good quiet fans. be quiet! to their credit makes very good silent fans

41 minutes ago, 2G_Tony said:

As for the Phanteks, I currently have a Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX TG. I like it, but I bought it used and am missing quite a bit of hardware for it and the thermals are hard to control without a custom loop. The P600S just doesn't seem like an upgrade to me. 

The P600s has a front plate that can be removed to increase airflow to the system. Interior wise, the P600S and the new Evolv X are exactly the same. Both are considerable improvements over the Evolv ATX in airflow, though notably theP600S wins when it's front plate is removed. 

43 minutes ago, 2G_Tony said:

I'm mainly looking for something high-end that I can continue to use for the next few years, can be adequately cooled by air and/or liquid, and offers expand-ability in case I end up getting an additional 2080. 

Some cases to consider would be the Coolermaster Mastercase Series (H500, H500P Mesh, H500M) which come with dual 200mm front fans. These fans spin at 600-800RPM which is very slow, but due to their massive size they still move a LOT of air while being very quiet. 

Another good option is the Lain Li PC-O11D. While the CPU Tower cooler is limited to 155mm, the cooling options in this case are nearly unmatched in fan mount placement, watercooling potential, build quality and price. There's no such thing as the perfect case, but this case for most people is a prime example of a Top Tier case.botho

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

The DG-86 came out.... A few years ago? and was EVGA's first case they ever released. While Airflow wise it's actually fine, they did a lot of things with the features of the case that IMO weren't executed well. Looking it up, the price is $269 on amazon, which is better than $319 on newegg (which IIRC is still lower than what it originally launched at) Price wise it makes slightly more sense form a "Getting what you pay for" sense, but I honestly havent seen a review of the case in three years so I cant remember exact details. 

The dark base 700 is a good case. Build quality is good and noise suppression is great. It's airflow that's severely lacking, but thats because the be quiet! cases are targeting silent as possible as cases, which means there's usually a sacrifice in overall airflow that can be achieved. If the goal is both airflow and noise, the best solution is to get a good airflow case and tune the fan speeds to be quiet, or get good quiet fans. be quiet! to their credit makes very good silent fans

The P600s has a front plate that can be removed to increase airflow to the system. Interior wise, the P600S and the new Evolv X are exactly the same. Both are considerable improvements over the Evolv ATX in airflow, though notably theP600S wins when it's front plate is removed. 

Some cases to consider would be the Coolermaster Mastercase Series (H500, H500P Mesh, H500M) which come with dual 200mm front fans. These fans spin at 600-800RPM which is very slow, but due to their massive size they still move a LOT of air while being very quiet. 

Another good option is the Lain Li PC-O11D. While the CPU Tower cooler is limited to 155mm, the cooling options in this case are nearly unmatched in fan mount placement, watercooling potential, build quality and price. There's no such thing as the perfect case, but this case for most people is a prime example of a Top Tier case.botho

The DG-86 is on sale for $169 on EVGA's site, otherwise it wouldn't be in the cards. I think I'd end up regretting getting such a massive case, though. I really like how similar it is to my Dell T420. The H500s look pretty neat, as well as the NR600. The Lian Li definitely seems like a strong contender as well as the H710i. I ended up digging a little deeper into Fractal's stuff and don't mind the Meshify C Dark TG either. 

Now I'm finding it even more difficult to make a decision lol. I was stuck on the Phanteks Enthoo 719 for a few months (prior to the name switch) but they're hardly in stock anymore and I'm not too sure I want to hop on the custom loop train just yet. I'll keep comparing; trying to order something tonight/tomorrow so I can finish the build before Christmas vacation. 

11 hours ago, 2G_Tony said:

Now I'm finding it even more difficult to make a decision lol. 

Cases can be the hardest thing to decide because it's the thing that theoretically doesnt impact the performance of your build (so long as the airflow is adequate) but is by far the most aesthetic thing of you entire system because you see it more than any other component. Hence the recent emphasis since 2016 for style and looks taking over functionality and practicality. 

$!70 for the DG-86 is actually fairly reasonable, and makes it relatively competitive in todays market price wise, but at the price there's a lot of good options as well. It seems like you've got a good list of parts now, and given your R7 2700 and 2080ti hybrid card, you shouldnt have any trouble keeping any of those cool with the cases you've selected. The Meshify C will be the smallest, the Enthoo 719 by far the biggest. The NR600 should theoretically be the easiest on the wallet, and the H500 has great airflow, but notably unless you get the H500P Mesh or H500M version, you'd only be able to mount the 360 AIO at the front, so that means you'd have to remove the dual 200mm fans (The H500 no suffix only supports 240 rads at the top) The PC-O11D, H710 and 719 would definitely be the three cases to choose from for future custom watercooling due to at least dual 360 rad support for the H710, and triple or even quad 360 rad support (iff some of the rads are slim) for the O11D and 719. 

In the end, whatever you choose will suit your tastes, not compromise you on performance, and satisfy you both in build process and daily use. :)

6 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Cases can be the hardest thing to decide because it's the thing that theoretically doesnt impact the performance of your build (so long as the airflow is adequate) but is by far the most aesthetic thing of you entire system because you see it more than any other component. Hence the recent emphasis since 2016 for style and looks taking over functionality and practicality. 

$!70 for the DG-86 is actually fairly reasonable, and makes it relatively competitive in todays market price wise, but at the price there's a lot of good options as well. It seems like you've got a good list of parts now, and given your R7 2700 and 2080ti hybrid card, you shouldnt have any trouble keeping any of those cool with the cases you've selected. The Meshify C will be the smallest, the Enthoo 719 by far the biggest. The NR600 should theoretically be the easiest on the wallet, and the H500 has great airflow, but notably unless you get the H500P Mesh or H500M version, you'd only be able to mount the 360 AIO at the front, so that means you'd have to remove the dual 200mm fans (The H500 no suffix only supports 240 rads at the top) The PC-O11D, H710 and 719 would definitely be the three cases to choose from for future custom watercooling due to at least dual 360 rad support for the H710, and triple or even quad 360 rad support (iff some of the rads are slim) for the O11D and 719. 

In the end, whatever you choose will suit your tastes, not compromise you on performance, and satisfy you both in build process and daily use. :)

I got irritated at myself and ended up ordering the P600S, but now I'm starting to second guess my decision. I feel like I should've gotten the Evolv X for the aesthetic; either one I get the front dust filters would be removed so the airflow would be pretty similar. I clean my computer on a regular basis so I'm not too concerned about dust particles. 

The PC-O11D looks great, it just doesn't seem like it would offer nearly as good performance for an air and AIO setup. If my GPU's AiO rad could be mounted to the position in the back of the case I would've already bought it. Aestheticially it's pretty good looking and I like how the fan/rad mounts are on the right side rather than on the front of the case; that would be ideal for my current desk layout as it would offer far better airflow than a case with fans in the front panel and it would probably far quieter as the fans would be pulling/pushing air from behind my desk. 

I'll probably return the P600S, though. It just doesn't fit the premium look I'm going for, I guess. Plus it'd require modifications for a dual system setup, which is another thing I could see myself doing in the relatively near future. The Lian Li sounds like a decent system, I'm just not sure it'd be the right fit for my lack of water cooling. Maybe I should just prepare for a full custom-loop as I'd have a lot more options for cases. 

3 minutes ago, 2G_Tony said:

The PC-O11D looks great, it just doesn't seem like it would offer nearly as good performance for an air and AIO setup. If my GPU's AiO rad could be mounted to the position in the back of the case I would've already bought it.

They did just release the PC-O11D XL which allows a 120mm fan in the rear of the case ?‍♂️

On 12/10/2019 at 2:49 PM, TVwazhere said:

They did just release the PC-O11D XL which allows a 120mm fan in the rear of the case ?‍♂️

That's the best compromise from what I can tell. How well do you think it would perform with my current setup (being mainly air and AiO)? Not sure how loud and cool the Lian Li would be able to get compared to the P600S. Gamers Nexus has some details but it doesn't quite answer my question. Whatever case I end up with, I'll be throwing in as many NF12/NF-A14 PWM chromax.Black.swaps as I can. For the P600S it would come out to 4x NF-12s and 3x NF-14s. I also plan to get the Phanteks Halos LED frames for most, if not all, fans. 

Just now, 2G_Tony said:

I've personally always been a fan of the Original PC-O11D, which was the Case of the year in 2018 by multiple Case reviewers. They kept the theme of the XL version the same, just added more space for more stuff including radiators. 

Air cooling GPU's in the O11D can actually be very good if you populate the bottom fan mounts to blow straight upwards into the GPU. No worries there! Between the P600S and the Evolv X, I'l choose the P600S any day simply because you get all the features of the inside, the main difference is the exterior panels. 

The PC-O11D XL layout though simply gives you a completely unique PC case perspective you cant get in many other places. That's probably the case I'd end up with if I was in your position. 

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I think I'm going to go ahead and get teh O11 XL (Black). Wish I could've canceled the P600S sooner, kinda feel bad considering they delivered the case so quickly. Appreciate all your help!