Is The Intel QX6700 Good for an XP Gaming Rig

avrona

So I'm slowly piecing everything together for a new rig, and from looking around it seems like the QX6700 seems like a good choice from that time frame. Will it be a decent CPU for such a rig? And what other hardware should I pair with it?

Qx6700 is not a new cpu.  It’s a quite old one.  Lga775.

are you trying to piece together a new rig out of old parts?  What do you want to do with this computer?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

What do you want to do with this computer?

His title says it all : Is The Intel QX6700 Good for an XP Gaming Rig

6 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

His title says it all : Is The Intel QX6700 Good for an XP Gaming Rig

Yeah, but does that mean running games from the era of xp or running modern games that still function using XP?

For the era the QX was really fast.  Compared to modern stuff though it’s not.  It will still run a lot of it though.  Just not very fast.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I have a way better PC already for running current games, that one I will mainly use for "era-appropriate" games.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah, but does that mean running games from the era of xp or running modern games that still function using XP?

1 minute ago, avrona said:

I have a way better PC already for running current games, that one I will mainly use for "era-appropriate" games.

Ah.  Then yes.  The QXes were hot hot for their time.  So hot it can even run more modern stuff to a degree.  There was the 6700 and the 9ntysomething hundred.  The 6700 was still mighty quick though.

No, i wouldn't use it. 

It's a 130w TDP processor with average performance.

Socket AM3+ has drivers for Windows XP, and FX processors are cheap.

I'd suggest going with an AMD FX-6300, around 40$ on eBay.... about 2x the performance of that Intel cpu and only 95w TDP.

FX-4300 is quad core and around 25$

These were released around 2012.

If you want even older, you can go with Phenom II x4 or x6, which were released around 2009-2010

phenom ii x4 955 is around 19$ on eBay, has about same performance as that qx6700 cpu.

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

No, i wouldn't use it. 

I'd suggest going with an AMD FX-6300, around 40$ on eBay.... about 2x the performance of that Intel cpu and only 95w TDP.

If you want even older, you can go with Phenom II x4 or x6, which were released around 2009-2010

phenom ii x4 955 is around 19$ on eBay, has about same performance as that qx6700 cpu.

Ahh.. fastest chip that will RUN XP.  Sorry.  I misunderstood the question.

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

No, i wouldn't use it. 

Those are way newer than what I am aiming for, plus if I wanted to use that for XP gaming I'd just go with my fx-8350 based PC I also have around.

3 hours ago, avrona said:

So I'm slowly piecing everything together for a new rig, and from looking around it seems like the QX6700 seems like a good choice from that time frame. Will it be a decent CPU for such a rig? And what other hardware should I pair with it?

Xp was so awful.  Try win 2000sp4. The phenom II are ok but with the wrong graphics card you will be stuck at 60fps. Core 2 duo/quad is a bit more future proofed. Ive seen it do pushing 300fps on minecraft.You should look for one with a 12mb cache. You can play doom 95, battlefield 1942, Duke nukem 3d, e.t.c on windows 10. Windows 10 is basically windows vista sp5million at this point. Tech is stagnant. We're still waiting for amd to create 128bit so we can throw all this stuff away and start over just like y2k. Core 2 duo makes a decent win 10 machine.

This thread is giving me ideas.

I have an old Q9450 and I wonder if that would make a good xp retro gaming system....

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

28 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

This thread is giving me ideas.

I have an old Q9450 and I wonder if that would make a good xp retro gaming system....

There was a time I wanted one of those very very badly.

At any rate, I’m assuming the target motherboard is LGA775.  The Q6700 was not as fast as the Q9450.  It was only like 20% slower though iirc.  It was a 4/4 chip rather than  a 2/2 (Theres was no hyperthreading) and had  very good single core clocks.  The 9450 had better ones.  The 4/4ness of the thing allowed it to survive into the generation of early “I” stuff.  It is not impossible that that series is immune to specter/meltdown simply because it hasn’t got predictive multitasking.  I still wouldn’t let one near an internet connection though.

I used to have one.  Still might I need to look.  I wound up upgrading to a 4770k which I still got