Hey everybody!

I'm new here. I've been watching Linus' videos for over a year and he's taught me a lot of what I know about computers, and I am so grateful. Tech stuff actually is, little by little, starting to make sense to me.

So, my problem is, I'm trying to run old games/programs. Most are CD-ROMs, but others are from websites like Big Fish Games. A lot of them run on Windows XP, and while I do have a Windows XP computer, I have been advised to not connect to the internet from that computer because it is too old and not supported anymore. So I've been learning about virtualization and emulators, but I'm having a hard time understanding how to emulate properly. Or which emulator to use for Windows XP. Additionally, I want to use an emulator on the newer computer instead of just installing the games on the older computer because I'm wanting to record myself playing these games, and the newer computer has a video recording program installed already.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Do the programs work in 10? Try it?

But running a xp rig is fine for this use. Yea its not that secure, but it doesn't really matter if its only playing old games, and keep a image of a fresh install if something happens.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do the programs work in 10? Try it?

But running a xp rig is fine for this use. Yea its not that secure, but it doesn't really matter if its only playing old games, and keep a image of a fresh install if something happens.

I don't know if they do, but I could definitely try it, you're right! Thank you!

I just edited my post because I realised I didn't mention, I want to record myself playing these games, so I would probably need to run them on the newer computer so that I can use the video recorder that is already installed on the newer computer.

1 minute ago, LusciousLox said:

I don't know if they do, but I could definitely try it, you're right! Thank you!

I just edited my post because I realised I didn't mention, I want to record myself playing these games, so I would probably need to run them on the newer computer so that I can use the video recorder that is already installed on the newer computer.

Did you try running it in a vm?

If it doesn't work in a vm, you may need to get a get a capture card

Did you try running it in a vm?

If it doesn't work in a vm, you may need to get a get a capture card

What is a vm?

4 minutes ago, LusciousLox said:

What is a vm?

Virtual machine, lets you run a os inside anouther os.

Try using hyper-v or virtualbox.

Virtual machine, lets you run a os inside anouther os.

Try using hyper-v or virtualbox.

Cool! Thanks! Would you mind telling me if there are any specific differences between hyper-v or virtualbox? Are there any definitive benefits of using one over the other?

Just now, LusciousLox said:

Cool! Thanks! Would you mind telling me if there are any specific differences between hyper-v or virtualbox? Are there any definitive benefits of using one over the other?

Why not try both? Hyper-y often has more featuers on windows, and is more intergrated. See what works though.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why not try both? Hyper-y often has more featuers on windows, and is more intergrated. See what works though.

Sorry, is it hyper-v or hyper-y? I will try them both out, thank you! Is there a specific way that I need to download virtualbox or the-other-one-whose-name-is-still-unclear to make sure that it's for windows xp or older?

5 minutes ago, LusciousLox said:

Sorry, is it hyper-v or hyper-y? I will try them both out, thank you! Is there a specific way that I need to download virtualbox or the-other-one-whose-name-is-still-unclear to make sure that it's for windows xp or older?

hyper-v. The other was a typo.

They should walk you through it pretty easily. Make sure virtualization is on.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

hyper-v. The other was a typo.

They should walk you through it pretty easily. Make sure virtualization is on.

Okay, thanks!

How do I make sure virtualisation is on?

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

check the motherboard manual.

I don't know if I have the motherboard manual. The computer was sort of a gift, and I haven't opened it up to check out even what motherboard I have.