Ryzen 3800x Wraith Prism too loud

Undecided

Finished my new build with Ryzen 3800x stock cooler on a Gigabyte Elite x570 with 4 sticks of Crucial 3000 and a Corsair TX-750M PSU. I have not closed my case yet so it is open to the air but the Wraith Prism keeps spinning up and down from about 1298 RPM to 2490 RPM.

I am looking at CPU temps of 33c to 63c and

CPU VCORE voltage from 0.192 to 1.488,

CPU VDD voltage from 0.2 to 1.5

all the settings on the board are set to 'Auto'.

I do have a leftover Cryorig H7 but it doesn't have the AM4 bracket. I asked Cryorig to send me one. The Cryorig kept my old i7 from 2012 cool without a fan, I had a case fan blowing through it.

Anything that can be done with the prism to keep it from spinning past 1500 rpm?

Would the cryorig be better? I would need to remove the MB to put the bracket in.

Thx

33c to 63c

At idle ?

Cryorig H7

Yes.

Anything that can be done with the prism to keep it from spinning past 1500 rpm?

There should be some 'Smart Fan' or smth in the BIOS, you can make RPM\temperature curve in there for CPU cooler fan.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

At idle ?

Yes.

There should be some 'Smart Fan' or smth in the BIOS, you can make RPM\temperature curve in there for CPU cooler fan.

Here's a screenshot from HWMonitor. This is during normal use, no gaming.

image.png

19 minutes ago, Undecided said:

Finished my new build with Ryzen 3800x stock cooler on a Gigabyte Elite x570 with 4 sticks of Crucial 3000 and a Corsair TX-750M PSU. I have not closed my case yet so it is open to the air but the Wraith Prism keeps spinning up and down from about 1298 RPM to 2490 RPM.

I am looking at CPU temps of 33c to 63c and

CPU VCORE voltage from 0.192 to 1.488,

CPU VDD voltage from 0.2 to 1.5

all the settings on the board are set to 'Auto'.

I do have a leftover Cryorig H7 but it doesn't have the AM4 bracket. I asked Cryorig to send me one. The Cryorig kept my old i7 from 2012 cool without a fan, I had a case fan blowing through it.

Would the cryorig be better? I would need to remove the MB to put the bracket in.

Thx

So, ive builded a system last week with the Ryzen 7 3800x aswell, the only diffrence i have is Watercooling, However i want to inform u that HWinfo is a + 10 degrees instead of using the Ryzen Master (CPU software) itself so for example my system is between 35-45 degrees Idle on watercooling in HwInfo but when i open Ryzen master it says my Cpu is only 25-35 Degrees.

Also what i have experienced my self is that the CPU is an well lets say Hotter CPU then an intell, so it is completly normal they can go up to 100 Degrees celcius so you should be fine. If you really want to go a bit cooler like me then go for a good watercooling system cud be a costum either an Ready to go system.

Also keep in mind that if you're case is still open the air flow isnt optimal for the case so it could be a little cooler when it is closed 

16 minutes ago, Undecided said:

ok, HwInfo64

image.png

Undecided, Try the official software for you're CPU, Ryzen Master as i already posted above for me there was a 10 Degrees diffrence between HwMonitor/Hwinfo64 and Ryzen Master.

Hwmonitor and Hwinfo64 kept saying my CPU was around 35-45 Degrees on watercooling wich i tought was hot however after installing the Ryzen Master software (wich is for you're CPU) HwMonitor and Hwinfo64 still where saying 35-45 Degrees however Ryzen Master says 25-35 Degrees. I belive Ryzen Master is correct because since after i installed that my Cooling system stopped from going Rogue.

Also what i noticed with my Ryzen 3800X is that when i was installing games + googleing and doing some youtube my CPU temp raised about 5-7 degrees (since the CPU is busy) keep in mind that if you're installing game's or doing anything else you're temps could indeed go up with a bigg amount, after i installed al drivers and all game's etc where done my Ryzen 7 3800x is Idle on 25-35 Degrees liquid cooled so youre's with air cooling cud indeed be around 35-50 degrees while beeing idle that, is normal in ryzen master you can see that since it also give's you an percentage on the temprature.

I can give you one more hint to show you the temprature's arent weird, search for any benchmark vid on YT and you will see that if they are on AIR COOLING some CPU's go up to 76-85 Degrees while gaming some even get hotter.

EDIT: Cryorig H7, You could also try this indeed it could go down a little bit in degrees however, probably you're best option is to go water cooling, i was on a limit aswell and for little bit less then 100$ i got myself a Coolmaster ML240R wich is doing pretty good, my max temp is 60-62 Degrees while playing a heavy game.

29 minutes ago, UsernameAndPassword said:

Undecided, Try the official software for you're CPU, Ryzen Master as i already posted above for me there was a 10 Degrees diffrence between HwMonitor/Hwinfo64 and Ryzen Master.

Hwmonitor and Hwinfo64 kept saying my CPU was around 35-45 Degrees on watercooling wich i tought was hot however after installing the Ryzen Master software (wich is for you're CPU) HwMonitor and Hwinfo64 still where saying 35-45 Degrees however Ryzen Master says 25-35 Degrees. I belive Ryzen Master is correct because since after i installed that my Cooling system stopped from going Rogue.

Also what i noticed with my Ryzen 3800X is that when i was installing games + googleing and doing some youtube my CPU temp raised about 5-7 degrees (since the CPU is busy) keep in mind that if you're installing game's or doing anything else you're temps could indeed go up with a bigg amount, after i installed al drivers and all game's etc where done my Ryzen 7 3800x is Idle on 25-35 Degrees liquid cooled so youre's with air cooling cud indeed be around 35-50 degrees while beeing idle that, is normal in ryzen master you can see that since it also give's you an percentage on the temprature.

I can give you one more hint to show you the temprature's arent weird, search for any benchmark vid on YT and you will see that if they are on AIR COOLING some CPU's go up to 76-85 Degrees while gaming some even get hotter.

EDIT: Cryorig H7, You could also try this indeed it could go down a little bit in degrees however, probably you're best option is to go water cooling, i was on a limit aswell and for little bit less then 100$ i got myself a Coolmaster ML240R wich is doing pretty good, my max temp is 60-62 Degrees while playing a heavy game.

Thx for the suggestion but i am not a fan of water cooling. I think proper air cooling is sufficient.

The wraith pris is a stock cooler, and the 3800x uses more power than 3700x resulting to more heat resulting to higher fan rpm resulting the cpu cooler to be louder.

First thing first. Use ryzen master to put your peak voltage to 1.375, over 1.4V is way higher than it should be.

Try different clock in ryzen master, oc your cpu to 4.5ghz and see what happens, does anything change (do not put more voltage).

Try "speed fan" software to control your cpu fan, if you cannot control it from there, control it from bios.

Screenshot your ryzen  master plz.

You should get better cooler for your cpu. Artiz freezer 34 esport duo is pretty good for under 40 bucks.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

So, I went into manual mode and smoothed out the fan curve for the cpu. Using Ryzen Master I set the clock to 4500 and voltage to 1.375.

That blue screened. It is however doing fine at 4450 all cores at 1.375 and the fan stays at around 1500 rpm with temp at 48c. I still don't like the noise this fan makes I almost hear the ball bearing noise. Has anyone fitted a different fan on the Wraith? I have a nice Noctua 1200 PWM 120mm, I think it will be worth while attempting that.

On 12/7/2019 at 9:17 PM, Undecided said:

So, I went into manual mode and smoothed out the fan curve for the cpu. Using Ryzen Master I set the clock to 4500 and voltage to 1.375.

That blue screened. It is however doing fine at 4450 all cores at 1.375 and the fan stays at around 1500 rpm with temp at 48c. I still don't like the noise this fan makes I almost hear the ball bearing noise. Has anyone fitted a different fan on the Wraith? I have a nice Noctua 1200 PWM 120mm, I think it will be worth while attempting that.

What are you using the all-core clock for?  It'll be worth testing that clock for at least an hour and see what the temps are after.  I've got a 3700x (although I've hooked mine up to a D15) and before I edited the curve the fans were all over the place. At boosted load in AIDA64 ( I didn't overclock) mine settled at 82C after 2 hours with a max fan speed of 60% to keep the noise down.

I wouldn't try to overclock with that Wraith if you're concerned over noise.

On 12/7/2019 at 1:17 PM, Undecided said:

Has anyone fitted a different fan on the Wraith? I have a nice Noctua 1200 PWM 120mm, I think it will be worth while attempting that.

If you're referring to the NF-S12B Redux, it would probably perform much worse due to the lower rpm and fan design that's not as optimized for static pressure. 

There's no harm in trying though. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I disabled the turbo boost at bios and everything runs fine!