Advice for a photographer

ApusDot

I've never done an event as a photographer, but I would like to start to look for small gigs asap. Does anyone here have experience in terms of arranging an event photography with a client? Like going to an event and photographing it. If you could help me know which are the questions I should ask my future clients when it comes to things like photos size they want, their format, how to deliver the photos to the client, and such? Basically a short run down as to how the conversation should go (overall) when asking the client for what they want when it comes to the photos I will be taking. Basically what are the things I should ask the client and the things I should know when it comes to doing a professional job at an event photography gig. I have searched the internet, but I can't find anything clear. Thank you in advance.

26 minutes ago, ApusDot said:

I've never done an event as a photographer, but I would like to start to look for small gigs asap. Does anyone here have experience in terms of arranging an event photography with a client? Like going to an event and photographing it. If you could help me know which are the questions I should ask my future clients when it comes to things like photos size they want, their format, how to deliver the photos to the client, and such? Basically a short run down as to how the conversation should go (overall) when asking the client for what they want when it comes to the photos I will be taking. Basically what are the things I should ask the client and the things I should know when it comes to doing a professional job at an event photography gig. I have searched the internet, but I can't find anything clear. Thank you in advance.

Rather than immediately jumping in solo and trying to land a client, I would make the recommendation that you first look for work for another photographer or company as a second shooter/assistant covering one of their events. You'll get a clearer picture of what you need to be looking for, and you'll have an inside view of how all the photos are handled.

4 hours ago, ApusDot said:

small gigs asap

I was a concert photographer for many years (specifically heavy metal)

Gotta build up a portfolio first. Start hitting up the local music venues and talking with the bands, most are more than happy to trade a free ticket in to the show for pics.

After you can show what you can do, then you can approach booking/talent agencies and show off your abilities

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

What photography have you done? If you've typically shot wildlife or landscapes, then you need to transition into shooting people before you even think about doing events. Family gatherings with your own family are a great place to start without a massive amount of pressure and plenty of room to experiment.

Once you're comfortable in that arena, then follow @LyondellBasell's suggestion and work with another photographer to get an idea of what all goes into the paid gigs beyond the pressure, client demands, and time constraints. All of this will be for building a portfolio you can use to sell yourself to prospective clients.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6