PC randomly restarts itself without warning

KhorCS

Posted in troubleshooting section but I couldn't manage to find any fixes for my PC randomly restarting itself (no blue screen or anything). 

Motherboard: Asrock B450 Steel Legend 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

CPU cooler: stock cooler that came 

RAM: 8GB 2133 g. Skills (from old system) 

GPU: GTX 1060 6gb (from old system) 

Storage: Sandisk 240GB SSD boot drive and ADATA 960GB SSD

PSU: Corsair Cx550m bronze rated

Case: NZXT H500

Ok so far I've basically tested everything possible to try and pinpoint the cause with no avail. 

Tests I've done

1. Updated GPU driver
  2. Ran a full system scan for possible malware
  3. Removed GPU and tested it in previous system 
  4. Changed out the RAM stick with another one from older system 
  5. Swapped out PSU with PSU from previous system 
  6. Checked for loose front I/O cables or other cables that might cause system to short out
  7. Checked PC temperature in ryzen master
  8. Formated the boot drive and did a clean reinstall of windows 10
  9. Updated windows 

But the PC still randomly manages to restart itself. Basically running out of options here on, not even sure what could be the cause of this at this point. Which I think the last thing I could possibly do is reseting the motherboard back to factory default settings but I'm not sure if that'll cause any problems. 

So my question is if anyone could possibly know a way to fix it, please help. Also if the worst case scenario happens and I have to try and reset a (ryzen 3000 ready sticker on the box) B450 motherboard back to factory default settings, will it still be ryzen 3000 series ready after the reset or will it just become the original B450 that only supports 1st and 2nd gen ryzen ? 

PS: in event log, it says something along the lines of The DistributedCOM Error 10016 not sure if that could be causing the issue here but thought I might as well include it. 

Thanks in advance for replies.

7 minutes ago, KhorCS said:

The DistributedCOM Error 10016

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-error-distributedcom-10016/

The article above might show a solution. A fresh windows install might be another option. Resetting the motherboard would certainly help. It will stay on the same bios version, it just changes any settings you may have changed to default settings.

You could also try your ram stick in a different slot.

9 minutes ago, KhorCS said:

But the PC still randomly manages to restart itself.

when does it happen? is it often? is it in a specific app? is it under load or random?

@boggy77 built the PC a month ago to replace my i5 6400 prebuilt, it was running fine without any issues until like last Friday when it started to randomly restart the PC. 

1 minute ago, KhorCS said:

@boggy77 built the PC a month ago to replace my i5 6400 prebuilt, it was running fine without any issues until like last Friday when it started to randomly restart the PC. 

sounds like a software problem. you've installed something or windows updated something and it's not playing nice anymore. try the steps in the article I linked or repair/reinstall windows

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

sounds like a software problem. you've installed something or windows updated something and it's not playing nice anymore. try the steps in the article I linked or repair/reinstall windows

Could be but I format the boot drive already, I don't think there's anything that can clean it even further 

25 minutes ago, KhorCS said:

Formated the boot drive and did a clean reinstall of windows 10

oh yeah sorry, I missed that. I'm not sure what else you can do other than monitor and try to find a pattern. when is it restarting? when you open some app, under heavy load etc.

@boggy77 sometimes it restarts as I login, sometimes I can manage like 2h of gaming on it before it does that, sometimes even just casually using chrome or discord can lead to a restart, seemingly random. In terms of temperature, I've yet to see CPU go over 60 C during gaming. So not sure what else is the cause here

12 minutes ago, KhorCS said:

@boggy77 sometimes it restarts as I login, sometimes I can manage like 2h of gaming on it before it does that, sometimes even just casually using chrome or discord can lead to a restart, seemingly random. In terms of temperature, I've yet to see CPU go over 60 C during gaming. So not sure what else is the cause here

maybe psu?

Small update, I ripped out the entire system and laid it out on a cardboard box for trouble shooting, still randomly restarting, guess I can say the case wasn't causing pc to short out

• 8 months later...
On 4 December 2019 at 12:34 AM, KhorCS said:

Small update, I ripped out the entire system and laid it out on a cardboard box for trouble shooting, still randomly restarting, guess I can say the case wasn't causing pc to short out

hye there. its seem we got the same problm here. i just happend try trobstng my pc with basic (powr supply + ram and processor.. keyboard) and let its run on bios mode. but the same issue occur..  maybe i shld fnd a new maboard.

so.. can i know what hppd to your pc now😅

sorry for my annoying english