Bought a 2700 from Microcenter. Guy said all the game codes were used up

I bought a Ryzen 2700 for my nephew for his new computer. We were going to use the free code to get Borderlands so he and I could play it, as I got it for free from my 3600X. I paid for it, and then the guy looked at my receipt and said, "It looks like all of the inventory on those game codes were used up." What? I already bought the CPU though. I would have bought the 2600 for less money if I would have known this is even a thing. They're still advertising the promotion on Amazon and Newegg though. How can they advertise the promotion there and then Microcenter says they are all used up? 

Anybody have any thoughts? 

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

Even if they weren't used up, it is difficult to redeem them so it's better to not factor them into your buying decision. Sorry I can't be more help but that's my experience.

2 minutes ago, robotsalad said:

Even if they weren't used up, it is difficult to redeem them so it's better to not factor them into your buying decision. Sorry I can't be more help but that's my experience.

Well I got a copy of The Outer worlds with it which I just got the code for but since I already have it I'm just looking to sell it. Where is a good place to sell it?

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

2 minutes ago, Thready said:

Well I got a copy of The Outer worlds with it which I just got the code for but since I already have it I'm just looking to sell it. Where is a good place to sell it?

On some category here or reddit would be my top pick i think.

Eh, that sucks, but 2700x is way more solid 2nd gen Ryzen then 2600 for longevity and general use, don't feel too bad about it.  For example even if they upgrade to better cpu later you ended up with decent cpu cooler you can carry over if its say a 3600, 3600x or such, buying a hyper 212 etc would of cost you similar

Theres no huge reason to feel too bad, unless you paired it with like 2133 ram in which case feel real bad