i5 8600k overclock. HELP.

Mahbub

I have an i5 8600k paired with Gigabyte Z370M D3H-CF motherboard. I am looking to overclock. can someone tell me whats the safe OC limit and safe voltage limit for i5 8600k on this mobo, i have a be quiet dark rock pro 4 cooler. Thank You.

I would be more concerned with safe mobo voltage than CPU voltage. 

I would go for 4.6-4.7Ghz, set voltage to 1.3v, middle LLC level and go from there. Honestly I wouldn't dare going with higher number on your board.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

2 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I would be more concerned with safe mobo voltage than CPU voltage. 

I would go for 4.6-4.7Ghz, set voltage to 1.3v, middle LLC level and go from there. Honestly I wouldn't dare going with higher number on your board.

but i am already stable on 4.7 without even touching voltage.. should i increase voltage? like i wont go any higher then.. but even if i keep it at 4.7 should i increase voltage to 1.3 or meddle with the llc thing?

4 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

but i am already stable on 4.7 without even touching voltage.. should i increase voltage? like i wont go any higher then.. but even if i keep it at 4.7 should i increase voltage to 1.3 or meddle with the llc thing?

In this case you can go to 4.8 without touching the voltage. If you crash, bump up the voltage and see if its stable.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

1 minute ago, PopsicleHustler said:

In this case you can go to 4.8 without touching the voltage. If you crash, bump up the voltage and see if its stable.

thanks.. btw can i do all this without llc thing? i donno wat it is.. i can inc d volage.. but the llc thing i donno.. m a noob at oc.. also u said mobo temps would be concerning... like its related to cpu temp right? after oc if cpu temp is less than 75 degree.. then is that fine? or like mobo temp is different thingwhich isint related to mobo temp?

1 minute ago, Mahbub said:

thanks.. btw can i do all this without llc thing? i donno wat it is.. i can inc d volage.. but the llc thing i donno.. m a noob at oc.. also u said mobo temps would be concerning... like its related to cpu temp right? after oc if cpu temp is less than 75 degree.. then is that fine? or like mobo temp is different thingwhich isint related to mobo temp?

LLC (Line Load Calibration) tries to maintain stable voltage during high loads. Physics work in such way that when you push voltage through loaded CPU, it drops it. So when PC pushes 1.3V across its CPU, voltage drops to lets say 1.27v which can cause instability and crash the system. To compensate for that, LLC boosts voltage during high CPU load to compensate for the voltage drop in the CPU. Overclockers call this drop "VDroop" 

Motherboard and CPU temps are 2 different things. Motherboard has something called "VRM" (Voltage Regulator Module). It is responsible for what I've described above - supplying voltage to the CPU. You have a very low end motherboard that is not designed for high overclocking. High end motherboards have high quality VRMs that can easily maintain high voltage supply to the CPU thanks to high quality components and good cooling. 

Your motherboard got low end VRMs. If you push too much voltage through them, they will most likely overheat and die. So be careful with high voltages. 

20 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

LLC (Line Load Calibration) tries to maintain stable voltage during high loads. Physics work in such way that when you push voltage through loaded CPU, it drops it. So when PC pushes 1.3V across its CPU, voltage drops to lets say 1.27v which can cause instability and crash the system. To compensate for that, LLC boosts voltage during high CPU load to compensate for the voltage drop in the CPU. Overclockers call this drop "VDroop" 

Motherboard and CPU temps are 2 different things. Motherboard has something called "VRM" (Voltage Regulator Module). It is responsible for what I've described above - supplying voltage to the CPU. You have a very low end motherboard that is not designed for high overclocking. High end motherboards have high quality VRMs that can easily maintain high voltage supply to the CPU thanks to high quality components and good cooling. 

Your motherboard got low end VRMs. If you push too much voltage through them, they will most likely overheat and die. So be careful with high voltages. 

well i guess then i am better off at 4.7 without any voltage or llc meddling.. additionally m not being able to increase ram freq by enabling xmp.. any idea why? i select profile1 instead of auto in xmp profile n ram frequemcy still shows 2400mhz

34 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

well i guess then i am better off at 4.7 without any voltage or llc meddling.. additionally m not being able to increase ram freq by enabling xmp.. any idea why? i select profile1 instead of auto in xmp profile n ram frequemcy still shows 2400mhz

Again, it could be down to low end motherboard not being able to OC the RAM.