System refuses to POST with memory at 3600MHz

Tad Bittoomuch
Go to solution Solved by Tad Bittoomuch,

Okay, so I definitely didn't know what I was doing.  Turns out I forgot to enable the DOCP profile for the memory in the BIOS.  I enabled that and voila:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hopefully to the trained eye that is a lot better.

Having not assembled a Ryzen system and familiar with old Intel based systems (think Ivy Bridge/Haswell), I was looking for something resembling 'XMP'.

Thanks for your help though, @Lord Nicoll

Hi all,

I have a 3950x with 64GB of G-Skill Trident Z advertised at 3600MHz, and I can't get the system to POST with the memory set at its advertised frequency.  The most I can get is 3333MHz, with the FCLK set to auto.

This is my first Ryzen processor so I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing anything wrong.

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, Tad Bittoomuch said:

Hi all,

I have a 3950x with 64GB of G-Skill Trident Z advertised at 3600MHz, and I can't get the system to POST with the memory set at its advertised frequency.  The most I can get is 3333MHz, with the FCLK set to auto.

This is my first Ryzen processor so I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing anything wrong.

Cheers!

What's the motherboard? Could be a couple of different things causing it.

Yours faithfully

4 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

What's the motherboard? Could be a couple of different things causing it.

Asus Prime X570-P

3 minutes ago, Tad Bittoomuch said:

Asus Prime X570-P

Well it has 4400 MHz kits listed on the QVL for speed, so 3600 shouldn't be a problem, but maybe your particular kit isn't on the QVL, you can check here for your RAM's model number but I'm guessing it's there. So either the IMC isn't strong enough to run 64GB at 3600 or something else is up. I haven't played with Ryzen memory OC at all really so I can't offer great insight into what the matter is, maybe check the timings to make sure they're what they should be?

Yours faithfully

42 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Well it has 4400 MHz kits listed on the QVL for speed, so 3600 shouldn't be a problem, but maybe your particular kit isn't on the QVL, you can check here for your RAM's model number but I'm guessing it's there. So either the IMC isn't strong enough to run 64GB at 3600 or something else is up. I haven't played with Ryzen memory OC at all really so I can't offer great insight into what the matter is, maybe check the timings to make sure they're what they should be?

The specific model number for my two kits is F4-3600C19D-32GTRS (2x16GB) and upon quick inspection actually isn't on the QVL.  It was sold as 3600MHz ram so the only other thing I can think that it might be is because I'm using 2 32GB kits (albeit exactly the same).

Manufacturer's website here.

I'll also double check the timings in the BIOS, and I'll post a reply if I am any more confused :)

If 3333MHz is all I can get out of them, then I suppose it'll have to do.

EDIT: I downloaded Ryzen Master and this is what it's telling me the memory configuration is:

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Tad Bittoomuch said:

The specific model number for my two kits is F4-3600C19D-32GTRS (2x16GB) and upon quick inspection actually isn't on the QVL.  It was sold as 3600MHz ram so the only other thing I can think that it might be is because I'm using 2 32GB kits (albeit exactly the same).

Manufacturer's website here.

I'll also double check the timings in the BIOS, and I'll post a reply if I am any more confused :)

If 3333MHz is all I can get out of them, then I suppose it'll have to do.

EDIT: I downloaded Ryzen Master and this is what it's telling me the memory configuration is:

spacer.png

Dear god, could you check on CPUz if the timings are what's shown there? If so those are ungodly awful, that'd be a reason it's not working. 

Yours faithfully

Thanks for the reply.

This is what CPU-Z says the timings are.

spacer.png

spacer.png

(As in the above image all memory slots have exactly the same timings)

I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to set them to, there's about a thousand different options in the BIOS for memory timings and control, and I've never actually tinkered with memory before so I really don't know what I'm doing.

If there's an online guide/walkthough/calculator or some first-hand advice you'd be willing to give me I'd be really grateful :)

Okay, so I definitely didn't know what I was doing.  Turns out I forgot to enable the DOCP profile for the memory in the BIOS.  I enabled that and voila:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hopefully to the trained eye that is a lot better.

Having not assembled a Ryzen system and familiar with old Intel based systems (think Ivy Bridge/Haswell), I was looking for something resembling 'XMP'.

Thanks for your help though, @Lord Nicoll

12 hours ago, Tad Bittoomuch said:

snip

I was gonna ask did you enable the DOCP settings, as that memory speeds look so bad and weird. Rookie mistake I guess, the memory was also probably at 1.2v too, .15v lower than it should have been, glad it's all sorted now though, tho CL 20-20-20-40 is still quite loose, you might be able to manually fiddle with it for something like 18-20-20-36 or 18-18-18-34, but hard to say, idk what the IC's are exactly or how they behave. 

Yours faithfully