Confused...

LavishLinc
3 hours ago, mr moose said:

What  version of windows are you running?  Is it possible it's just the usual windows 7 shuts down on you without notice problem.

Windows 10

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

What  version of windows are you running?  Is it possible it's just the usual windows 7 shuts down on you without notice problem.

Windows 10

3 hours ago, Juular said:

It doesn't startup without cycling the PSU power, that's the issue, it's not software. It's either PSU itself or motherboard VRM.

Ok so after running the stress test for 25 mins it said there was no errors detected

1 minute ago, LavishLinc said:

Ok so after running the stress test for 25 mins it said there was no errors detected

Okay ... go reseat and check PSU cables, see what's model it's exactly and where are intake fan facing to.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Juular said:

Okay ... go reseat and check PSU cables, see what's model it's exactly and where are intake fan facing at.

ok. i will do all of this tomorrow and send you that picture. thanks for your help.

35 minutes ago, Juular said:

It doesn't startup without cycling the PSU power, that's the issue, it's not software. It's either PSU itself or motherboard VRM.

That doesn't mean it isn't a software issue.  It could be anything from a corrupt windows file to a dodgy temp probe. 

@LavishLinc Can you check the windows logs and see if anything is causing the shutdown in software.

https://winaero.com/blog/find-shutdown-log-windows-10/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

That doesn't mean it isn't a software issue.  It could be anything from a corrupt windows file to a dodgy temp probe.

Again, it doesn't even try to boot anything software related because it doesn't start at all until you cycle the PSU power, it's not software, something goes into protection mode, either PSU or motherboard.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

Again, it doesn't even try to boot anything software related because it doesn't start at all until you cycle the PSU power, it's not software, something goes into protection mode, either PSU or motherboard.

An unexpected shutdown does not have to result in a restart without power cycle.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

An unexpected shutdown does not have to result in a restart without power cycle.

See OP comment :

1 hour ago, LavishLinc said:

what is ever weirder is that when it shuts off, i can only turn it back on if i flip the switch next to my power cord to off and then back to on.

It doesn't respond to power-on switch unless you completely cut the power from the PC.

10 minutes ago, Juular said:

See OP comment :

It doesn't respond to power-on switch unless you completely cut the power from the PC.

If the system is suspending to ram or hibernation and then freezing (because there is a software issue) then it won't respond to the power switch until a power cycle has happened.  There are many reasons for these symptoms to occur. a simple check of the windows log will immediately rule out software problems, after that you can go replacing parts.

EDIT: I have also heard people complain of this on older systems when drivers for the south bridge (secondary ide/sata chips) were not installed or were corrupt.   But Until a proper diagnosis of the shut down log is presented I would just be guessing at the issue.

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If the system is suspending to ram or hibernation and then freezing (because there is a software issue) then it won't respond to the power switch until a power cycle has happened.

Hmm, it should respond to reset button and case\CPU cooler fans should spin. @LavishLinc, can you confirm that fans aren't spinning and it doesn't respond to reset button when that happens ?

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

Hmm, it should respond to reset button and case\CPU cooler fans should spin. @LavishLinc, can you confirm that fans aren't spinning and it doesn't respond to reset button when that happens ?

I just assumed he tried the reset button,   If not, holding the power button for 5 seconds should also force a shutdown/reboot if the motherboard and PSU are working. 

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I just assumed he tried the reset button,   If not holding the power button for 5 seconds should also force a shutdown/reboot if the motherboard and PSU are working. 

Yeah, i've assumed the same, in that case a scenario you're talking about are ruled out because it would've helped but if he didn't try that, it may be the case indeed.

Just now, Juular said:

Yeah, i've assumed the same, in that case a scenario you're talking about are ruled out because it would help but if he didn't try that, it may be the case indeed.

I think between the log and telling us what the reset button does (or doesn't do) will point better to the problem.

Just trying to rule out drivers and easy to fix stuff before swapping the PSU (likely culprit, but a PIA if you don't have a spare). 

16 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I think between the log and telling us what the reset button does (or doesn't do) will point better to the problem.

Just trying to rule out drivers and easy to fix stuff before swapping the PSU (likely culprit, but a PIA if you don't have a spare). 

Tomorrow I will look at the logs and see exactly what the system is going through moments before the power off. I can in fact confirm tho after the shut off the fans and everything turn off and aren’t spinning except that for whatever reason a couple things ( like my mic, webcam, and WiFi adapter) are lit up (as if the pc was still on) and the power button doesn’t turn on the pc( I’ve held it down And clicked it multiple times) but only turns on after I cycle it.

10 hours ago, LavishLinc said:

Tomorrow I will look at the logs and see exactly what the system is going through moments before the power off. I can in fact confirm tho after the shut off the fans and everything turn off and aren’t spinning except that for whatever reason a couple things ( like my mic, webcam, and WiFi adapter) are lit up (as if the pc was still on) and the power button doesn’t turn on the pc( I’ve held it down And clicked it multiple times) but only turns on after I cycle it.

@mr moose @Juular

i looked at the events manager and before every "unexpected system shutdown" it said that the process RuntimeBroker.exe has initiated the power off of my computer

21 minutes ago, LavishLinc said:

@mr moose @Juular

i looked at the events manager and before every "unexpected system shutdown" it said that the process RuntimeBroker.exe has initiated the power off of my computer

Hmmm,  the runtimebroker is the program that sits between app permissions and the device,  e.g it checks to make sure each app has legitimate permission to use say the mic or camera on your PC.    I can;t work out why it would be calling for a shut down, it could call for a restart after an update but not generally a shut down.

How long has it been happening?  can you wait a few days and see if it reoccurs, gets worse or better?  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Hmmm,  the runtimebroker is the program that sits between app permissions and the device,  e.g it checks to make sure each app has legitimate permission to use say the mic or camera on your PC.    I can;t work out why it would be calling for a shut down, it could call for a restart after an update but not generally a shut down.

How long has it been happening?  can you wait a few days and see if it reoccurs, gets worse or better?  

so ive had this pc for about 6 months

when i first got it, it used to happen a lot

then i updated my drivers and it stopped

then like 2 months ago it started happening again and i updated my driver and it still happened.

now it happens in the most random times

2 minutes ago, LavishLinc said:

so ive had this pc for about 6 months

when i first got it, it used to happen a lot

then i updated my drivers and it stopped

then like 2 months ago it started happening again and i updated my driver and it still happened.

now it happens in the most random times

Are you pushing the "check for updates" button or just letting windows install the updates?

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Are you pushing the "check for updates" button or just letting windows install the updates?

windows checks for updates automatically and notifies me when i need to update

14 minutes ago, LavishLinc said:

windows checks for updates automatically and notifies me when i need to update

good,  don't use the check for updates button.  Now to work out why the runtime is shutting down your PC without notification.   Sounds to me like a conflict between software and windows.

It still leaves the field open for what the cause could be,  a 6008 (shutdown code for unexpected) can be anything from a hardware fault or over temp issue (but you say everything was fine?) to a hdd drive overheat or sata failure.  But the confusing part is it went away with updates last time. 

I am still leaning towards a corruption, but I must confess at this stage it is getting beyond my area of knowledge.  Trying a different PSU might fix the issue, but I suspect not, a dodgy PSU wouldn't come good with driver updates.    Can you try a clean install of windows and leave out all the unnecessary hardware/software? (including hard drives.

34 minutes ago, mr moose said:

good,  don't use the check for updates button.  Now to work out why the runtime is shutting down your PC without notification.   Sounds to me like a conflict between software and windows.

It still leaves the field open for what the cause could be,  a 6008 (shutdown code for unexpected) can be anything from a hardware fault or over temp issue (but you say everything was fine?) to a hdd drive overheat or sata failure.  But the confusing part is it went away with updates last time. 

I am still leaning towards a corruption, but I must confess at this stage it is getting beyond my area of knowledge.  Trying a different PSU might fix the issue, but I suspect not, a dodgy PSU wouldn't come good with driver updates.    Can you try a clean install of windows and leave out all the unnecessary hardware/software? (including hard drives.

I am gonna talk to the geek squad at my local Best Buy to see what it could be. I may just buy a new power supply and hope that’s the issue 

Just now, LavishLinc said:

I am gonna talk to the geek squad at my local Best Buy to see what it could be. I may just buy a new power supply and hope that’s the issue 

Thanks for your help! 

3 minutes ago, LavishLinc said:

Before you do that,  @GoodBytes knows his way around windows, maybe he can shed some light.   I hate to see you buy parts only to find the problem was software related.

15 hours ago, LavishLinc said:

My computer just randomly shuts off from time to time... temperature is fine all fans are working and my drivers are all up to date. I am super confused. I did some research and I saw that when your cpu clock speed is too high this can cause your motherboard to shut off the pc to help save the PC... I looked at CPUZ and my clock speeds are running from 3800mhz-4100mhz. I have a ryzen 5 3600 and don’t know if that’s is normal or not. This is the only thing that I could think of that could be the reason why my PC keeps shutting down. Please help ?

Base on your description, your PSU or motherboard is faulty.

From experience of, well, experiencing this, it is the PSU. With the exception of old computers where it was capacitors on the motherboard that are failing. So while it could happen on a new board where 1 or more capacitors are fault, it is unlikely in my opinion, even on cheapo brands.

Another variation, which may affect you, is the system randomly shutsdown... but only at your place. Take it somewhere else for over a week, and no issue could be replicated. Sound like a curse, but but the reality it has to do with the power from the wall variation which trigger the issue from the PSU or not.

Why the motherboard might be faulty? Because a short can occur due to a faulty component (or external element like a metal shard containing the board) and shorts thing, making the system shutdown to try and avoid damage.

Avoid Best Buy unless you enjoy poor fixes done with glue, possibly months delay, have fine hardware replaced because they don't actual diagnose problem or have experience, but rather forced to follow scripts.

I would try the PSU first, especially that it is the easy part. If you have another system, you can use its PSU just to see if your system is OK or not.

Warning, if you swamp PSU with another one where both have modular power cables, be SURE to change the power supply cable. Those are PSU specific, doesn't mean it fits that it will necessary work. You will most likely fry something. 

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Base on your description, your PSU or motherboard is faulty.

From experience of, well, experiencing this, it is the PSU. With the exception of old computers where it was capacitors on the motherboard that are failing. So while it could happen on a new board where 1 or more capacitors are fault, it is unlikely in my opinion, even on cheapo brands.

Another variation, which may affect you, is the system randomly shutsdown... but only at your place. Take it somewhere else for over a week, and no issue could be replicated. Sound like a curse, but but the reality it has to do with the power from the wall variation which trigger the issue from the PSU or not.

Why the motherboard might be faulty? Because a short can occur due to a faulty component (or external element like a metal shard containing the board) and shorts thing, making the system shutdown to try and avoid damage.

Avoid Best Buy unless you enjoy poor fixes done with glue, possibly months delay, have fine hardware replaced because they don't actual diagnose problem or have experience, but rather forced to follow scripts.

I would try the PSU first, especially that it is the easy part. If you have another system, you can use its PSU just to see if your system is OK or not.

Warning, if you swamp PSU with another one where both have modular power cables, be SURE to change the power supply cable. Those are PSU specific, doesn't mean it fits that it will necessary work. You will most likely fry something. 

If it were a dodgy PSU why would updating his drivers have fixed the issue last time?

@mr moose @GoodBytes

9 hours ago, LavishLinc said:

process RuntimeBroker.exe has initiated the power off of my computer

There's whole bunch of people having the same problem all over the internets. You may try to disable RuntimeBroker. This is most likely not PSU issue but i still advice to check PSU cables just in case.