Confused...

LavishLinc

My computer just randomly shuts off from time to time... temperature is fine all fans are working and my drivers are all up to date. I am super confused. I did some research and I saw that when your cpu clock speed is too high this can cause your motherboard to shut off the pc to help save the PC... I looked at CPUZ and my clock speeds are running from 3800mhz-4100mhz. I have a ryzen 5 3600 and don’t know if that’s is normal or not. This is the only thing that I could think of that could be the reason why my PC keeps shutting down. Please help ?

Just now, LavishLinc said:

My computer just randomly shuts off from time to time... temperature is fine all fans are working and my drivers are all up to date. I am super confused. I did some research and I saw that when your cpu clock speed is too high this can cause your motherboard to shut off the pc to help save the PC... I looked at CPUZ and my clock speeds are running from 3800mhz-4100mhz. I have a ryzen 5 3600 and don’t know if that’s is normal or not. This is the only thing that I could think of that could be the reason why my PC keeps shutting down. Please help ?

Btw this has happened like 3 times and it only really happens when I am playing apex legends. When I play fortnite it forza horizon 4 it hasn’t happened (yet)!

Your other PC parts (PSU, motherboard) ? Any OC present (RAM, CPU, GPU) ? How it shuts off exactly and when ? Like in games, in browser or just randomly even when idle ? And it's just straight up shut-down, it's restart without BSOD, or it's BSOD ?

My bet that it's RAM (if it's OC'd). But it may be faulty PSU or motherboard VRM. It has nothing to do with CPU frequency, at least directly if thermals are normal.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

9 minutes ago, Juular said:

Your other PC parts (PSU, motherboard) ? Any OC present (RAM, CPU, GPU) ? How it shuts off exactly and when ? Like in games, in browser or just randomly even when idle ? And it's just straight up shut-down, it's restart without BSOD, or it's BSOD ?

My bet that it's RAM (if it's OC'd). But it may be faulty PSU or motherboard VRM. It has nothing to do with CPU frequency, at least directly if thermals are normal.

no OC present, i reset my bios just in case because i thought about that too and it still happened. 

its just so random, but only happens when i am gaming.

yesterday i played the entire day, apex and fortnite, and it didn't shut down at all

today i was playing apex for about 2 hours and it shut down mid game

and when it shuts off. everything powers off except my WiFi adapter light stays on and my microphone light stays on as well, so i am assuming my psu inst the problem because these things remain on after it shuts off...

So it doesn't even power back ? That's real strange ... You still didn't provide your entire specs.

Also, bring up Windows Event Manager and see if there's any errors or warning around shutdown time on system log.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

So it doesn't even power back ? That's real strange ... You still didn't provide your entire specs.

no it doesnt. what is ever weirder is that when it shuts off, i can only turn it back on if i flip the switch next to my power cord to off and then back to on.

sorry, my specs are:

cpu: ryzen 5 3600

gpu: radeon rx 5700 xt

psu: EVGA 750W

16 GB ram DDR4

msi b450 gaming plus motherboard

Since you say that you didn't OC anything and complete shutdown instead of restart isn't characteristic for OC instability anyway, my next guess is motherboard VRM or PSU.

Did you try to run CPU stress tests and see if it shutdowns any faster ? Like OCCT or CPU-Z internal benchmark in stress test mode.

Just now, Juular said:

Since you say that you didn't OC anything and complete shutdown instead of restart isn't characteristic for OC instability anyway, my next guess is motherboard VRM or PSU.

Did you try to run CPU stress tests and see if it shutdowns any faster ? Like OCCT or CPU-Z internal benchmark in stress test mode.

no i have not, should i try?

2 minutes ago, LavishLinc said:

what is ever weirder is that when it shuts off, i can only turn it back on if i flip the switch next to my power cord to off and then back to on.

That i was afraid of, it sounds like PSU goes into protection mode, what PSU you have exactly, model, what's on the label ?

no i have not, should i try?

Yep.

Just now, Juular said:

That i was afraid of, it sounds like PSU goes into protection mode, what PSU you have exactly, model, what's on the label ?

Yep.

how do i do that?

Yep.

i don't know exactly what psu i have

i just know its a 750w EVGA

i can look if that will help

1 minute ago, LavishLinc said:

how do i do that?

Stress testing ? OCCT has combined CPU+GPU stress test for this purpose.

i don't know exactly what psu i have

i just know its a 750w EVGA

i can look if that will help

Look, chances are it's some rather crappy unit, cheapest EVGAs aren't very good.

ok let me download it and run it and i will get back to you

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

how long should i run the test for?

Also, try reseating all PSU cables and look if all contacts are fine, without black\colorful stuff on them and cables haven't melted.

Just now, Juular said:

Also, try reseating all PSU cables and look if all contacts are fine, without black\colorful stuff on them and cables haven't melted.

ok

1 minute ago, LavishLinc said:

how long should i run the test for?

Dunno, 30 min should suffice i guess. What's your ambient temperatures also and where and how are PSU mounted in your case, on the down or up, with intake fan to the right position, it may be just overheating.

My house is about 70 degrees Fahrenheit 

my my psu is on the bottom and honestly I don’t know where my intake fan is 

( sorry don’t really know that much about PCs)

2 minutes ago, LavishLinc said:

my my psu is on the bottom and honestly I don’t know where my intake fan is

It should be mounted so it can intake fresh 'cold' air, better (if there's grille on the bottom of the case below it) from the outside but if you don't have PSU shroud, taking air from the inside of the case is acceptable too. It's definitely not good if it's mounted with fan down but there's no grille or if it's mounted fan up and you have PSU shroud.

I really don’t know what any of that is. Can I take a pic and send it to you through direct message tomorrow?

3 minutes ago, LavishLinc said:

I really don’t know what any of that is. Can I take a pic and send it to you through direct message tomorrow?

Yeah, why not.

What  version of windows are you running?  Is it possible it's just the usual windows 7 shuts down on you without notice problem.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

What  version of windows are you running?  Is it possible it's just the usual windows 7 shuts down on you without notice problem.

It doesn't startup without cycling the PSU power, that's the issue, it's not software. It's either PSU itself or motherboard VRM.