Router suggestions

Bruno_A

Hello all,

I am on the look for a Wireless Router. The one I'm most interested in, so far, is the Linksys WRT3200ACM AC3200 MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi Router, as it has an open source OS, which means I have lots of options for what I need, probably. Does anyone know if this is a good option, or have better suggestions for the price? My budget is up to £150 and I need something that provides good range, stability, allows multiple users to connect without saturating bands, create a VPN server, have parental control options and that's all I can think, so far. Also, given that I have a VDSL connection, I need something to "convert" VDSL to an ethernet output. Could I use a router as a modem-only and connect the new router to it? I want either a router I'll provide, probably something cheap, to connect to my ISP, but I want the new router to handle everything else (DNS, DHCP, etc...).

Many thanks,

Bruno.

EDIT: I'll be buying from Amazon, as I have a gift card, and they are doing Black Friday sales.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

6 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

which means I have lots of options for what I need,

If you want to pick your routher os of choice, id just get  x86 pc,  and run pfsense, or untangle, or anay of the other many router oses.

7 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

I need something to "convert" VDSL to an ethernet output. Could I use a router as a modem-only and connect the new router to it?

Depends on the router, some can, but id just get a stand alone modem. Ask your isp for what works best.

9 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

range

about how big is your place?

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you want to pick your routher os of choice, id just get  x86 pc,  and run pfsense, or untangle, or anay of the other many router oses.

Depends on the router, some can, but id just get a stand alone modem. Ask your isp for what works best.

about how big is your place?

The house itself is quite big. There is a garden as well, which I'll want to have some coverage on, as well. The total area would be 600-700m2. Also, how would I add wireless capabilities to pfsense? This could be a good option, actually.

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

5 minutes ago, Bruno_A said:

ow would I add wireless capabilities to pfsense

Wireless Access point is what you would use. Or a router in AP mode. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Wireless Access point is what you would use. Or a router in AP mode. 

I would prefer an actual router, though. Thinking about it, I'd need to get a computer, first, set it up with pfsense, and I'd still need a router.

9 minutes ago, Bruno_A said:

I would prefer an actual router, though. Thinking about it, I'd need to get a computer, first, set it up with pfsense, and I'd still need a router.

Its just that PFsense checks all the boxes. Some of those features you need, might be shitty implemented by Linksys or who ever you go with. I have USED open source firmware. DDWRT, and its probably just as difficlut to setup correctly as PFsense. Heres the other thing. Most routers use some kinda of ARM chip, they tend to be underpowered. My DLink DIR835 with DDWRT had to be activly cooled other wise I honestly think it could have died prematurly or caught fire. Because DDWRT made the CPU work a hell of a lot harder. 

If you go with an all in one type of device, be ready to make comprmises. Though if you want a suggestion. I have a Synology RT2600 AC, is a good procut, not sure how parrental controls work, but it handles my traffic fine. You might find its little brother cheaper as the one I have is the more expensive one at $200 USD. But the lower end model is cheaper, maybe with in your budget. Though it doesnt offer Open Source firmware. So you cant put DDWRT on this. 

23 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Its just that PFsense checks all the boxes. Some of those features you need, might be shitty implemented by Linksys or who ever you go with. I have USED open source firmware. DDWRT, and its probably just as difficlut to setup correctly as PFsense. Heres the other thing. Most routers use some kinda of ARM chip, they tend to be underpowered. My DLink DIR835 with DDWRT had to be activly cooled other wise I honestly think it could have died prematurly or caught fire. Because DDWRT made the CPU work a hell of a lot harder. 

If you go with an all in one type of device, be ready to make comprmises. Though if you want a suggestion. I have a Synology RT2600 AC, is a good procut, not sure how parrental controls work, but it handles my traffic fine. You might find its little brother cheaper as the one I have is the more expensive one at $200 USD. But the lower end model is cheaper, maybe with in your budget. Though it doesnt offer Open Source firmware. So you cant put DDWRT on this. 

I will definitely mess around with PFSense. It honestly sounds very interesting, and will see what I could do with it by creating a VM on my desktop. I ended up purchasing the Lynksys router, which is "ready" for open source software, and, after a quick research, it seems like I can actually install PFSense on the Lynksys router.

5 minutes ago, Bruno_A said:

a quick research, it seems like I can actually install PFSense on the

Thats intresting considering I thought PFsense only runs on x86 and the router only uses an ARM CPU. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats intresting considering I thought PFsense only runs on x86 and the router only uses an ARM CPU. 

That is interesting indeed. I hope I didn't misunderstand anything, as it was indeed a very quick research.