should i partition my 1TB m.2 nvme ssd

idkwhatimevendoin

like 100GB for windows, and a data drive with about 800GB, for organization u kno. or should i just make my c drive the entire 1TB

i hear some people saying you should put windows seperate from other programs since it could cause it to slow down or something like that.

i've also heard many people say that's entirely bullcrap.

So if you want to organize then sure you can do that but i don't belive it will be nessecary

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

One of the benefits of partitioning is that if you need to reinstall Windows or move to another OS, then you can just wipe the one partition and all of your data remains. (easier to reinstall an OS)

One of the disadvantages is that it is not easy to resize partitions in most cases and resizing can sometimes cause issues or not work correctly, so you are more or less stuck with that amount of space that you partitioned if you run into this issue.

It is easier and less problematic to just have one drive.

I would leave it unpartitioned but that's just me. If you weight up the Pros and Cons then you can decide which method is best for you.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

1 minute ago, Husky said:

One of the benefits of partitioning is that if you need to reinstall Windows or move to another OS, then you can just wipe the one partition and all of your data remains. (easier to reinstall an OS)

One of the disadvantages is that it is not easy to resize partitions in most cases and resizing can sometimes cause issues or not work correctly, so you are more or less stuck with that amount of space that you partitioned if you run into this issue.

I would leave it unpartitioned but that's just me. If you weight up the Pros and Cons then you can decide which method is best for you.

Thank you for this.

7 minutes ago, Husky said:

I'd second this.

Ps Mr Husky might be chuckling at my Afrikaans username, although I'm actually from the Netherlands, aka a Real Dutchman (TM).

The only time I suggest partitioning is to separate System files (OS and programs) from data files. This makes restoring either data or the System much easier. An example is the computer I'm using rght now. It has a System Reserved partition, a C:/ partition, a data partition, and a factory restore partition.

Using partitions to organize data is extremely in efficient. Using folders instead is much easier and far more flexible.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

44 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

The only time I suggest partitioning is to separate System files (OS and programs) from data files. This makes restoring either data or the System much easier. An example is the computer I'm using rght now. It has a System Reserved partition, a C:/ partition, a data partition, and a factory restore partition.

Using partitions to organize data is extremely in efficient. Using folders instead is much easier and far more flexible.

Thank you for this.