can i use single rank and dual rank ecc ram (of the same size) in the same channel ?

oldnick
i currently have synology nas with 2X2 gb ecc udimm Single Rank (on the same channel)
and single 8gb ecc udimm Single Rank on another channel (i think from my understanding that all of them at this time working on a single channel (is that right ?)

so i want to add another 8gb ecc udimm in dual Rank to the mix 

will all work together on dual channel mode with diffrent capacity and number of ranks ? (all have same speed and cas latency) ? 

10 minutes ago, oldnick said:
i currently have synology nas with 2X2 gb ecc udimm Single Rank (on the same channel)
and single 8gb ecc udimm Single Rank on another channel (i think from my understanding that all of them at this time working on a single channel (is that right ?)

so i want to add another 8gb ecc udimm in dual Rank to the mix 

will all work together on dual channel mode with diffrent capacity and number of ranks ? (all have same speed and cas latency) ? 

Maybe.

ECC RAM is of course, Error Checking and Control (or Correction) and is aimed for servers, which demand perfect results from the RAM.

Servers that I have worked with, do not like you to mix and match RAM (they will throw non-fatal errors about non-matching RAM) but I can't speak directly for the NAS.

IMO, you'd be better off with matched RAM, but if the NAS powers up and accepts the MnM RAM, then consider yourself lucky.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I cannot verify that is it the same across all memory types but from what I know RAM of different ranks cannot be mixed. I tried mixing dual rank with quad rank and no combination of swapping slots allowed it to POST.

Perhaps it's possible with your hardware but the fact it doesn't work on mine isn't a good indicator that it will on yours.