Listening to Xbox One and PC sounds on the same headset plugged into an audio interface

Go to solution Solved by Sarten X,
On 12/1/2019 at 12:47 PM, GR412 said:

So if I were to buy a mixer, i would need to take my Xbox line input cable and split that into the left and right channels on the Yamaha mixer? Or are you talking about my headphone out cable? Or both?

Yes, the XBox cable carries two signals (left and right). To get them into the mixer, they need to split to two separate plugs.

Your XBox audio chain would look like this:

1. XBox (with S/PDIF output through a TOSLINK port)
  2. TOSLINK cable
  3. S/PDIF to 1/8" adapter
  4. 1/8" TRS cable (a common "headphone plug on both ends" cable)
  5. 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TS cable (splits one 1/8" jack into two 1/4" plugs)
  6. Mixer

Your PC audio chain would look like this:

1. PC
  2. USB cable
  3. Mixer

Your output chain would look like this:

1. Mixer (which conveniently has a stereo "phones" jack on it)
  2. 1/4" to 1/8" adapter (probably, unless your headphones have a 1/4" plug on them)
  3. Headphones

Now, you mentioned an XLR microphone... that gets a bit more tricky. The problem is that most mixers (including the MG10XU) are really meant for creating a single stereo mix. Add a microphone to that mix, and you'll be hearing yourself speak, and recording the XBox (and probably the PC, as well). Because you can only set one mix, you have to be hearing exactly what you record. If you're trying to record commentary on gameplay, for example, you'll want your voice to be louder than the game, and that's how you'll have to play, as well. For voice chat during multiplayer, you'd be sending your game sound to your teammates whenever you speak.

A more straightforward setup would still be to put everything into your PC. The microphone's chain would look like this:

1. Microphone
  2. Phantom power injector (only if the mic requires phantom power)
  3. XLR to 1/8" cable
  4. PC (into the "mic" jack)

You don't need separate audio interface hardware for a single microphone, even if it has an XLR connector. 

There should be an option in your PC sound configuration to control whether you hear your own voice, and at what level. The PC usually produces at least two separate mixes:

1. What's sent to the output device
  2. What's sent to software listening for recording

That means that what you hear is separately configurable from what's recorded or used by software. Unfortunately, the details on how to configure the mix depends on your audio hardware and drivers, but it usually hidden in the Sound Control Panel dialog window.

If it were my system, I wouldn't buy anything but adapters. I'd just plug everything into the PC, and spend some time getting familiar with the configuration options available there.

As for delay through your PC audio hardware, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Unless you have some exceptionally buggy drivers, the lag from digital mixing tops out at about a millisecond. There's more delay than that just waiting for the nerves in your ear to perceive the sound.

I would like to be able to listen to both PC sounds and Xbox game sounds while using my headset that is plugged into an audio interface or mixer. You see I like to watch and listen to YouTube videos on my PC while playing on my Xbox One X on another monitor.

1. However I’m wondering if it would be be possible to plug in an Xbox One X audio source using a Toslink to 3.5mm adapter on the Xbox end then plugging the other 3.5mm end into an audio interface or mixer? Which my headset would also be plugged into.

1. Currently I do this by plugging the 3.5mm end coming from the Xbox into the blue ‘line in’ port on my PC’s motherboard. I’m assuming that this would be the same for the audio interface and mixer?

1. I’m thinking of getting the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for an audio interface or the Yamaha MG10XU mixer, but it seems that the Scarlett 2i2 doesn’t have any line input ports, and I’m not sure if the MG10XU has any.

Does that I mean I would have to find an audio interface with line in ports such as the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 instead for this to work as I want?

You are correct that you need to mix audio signals, and it needs to be done properly to avoid damage to the components. However, it also happens to be pretty easy to mix signals. It's just a matter of getting the right signals to the right places at the right power.

You've already found the cheapest and most direct way to mix signals with a PC: Just add an input to the computer's dedicated input ports. The line-in jack is intended for line-level signals, which is exactly what would be coming out of any port intended for headphones. The sound hardware will mix the signals itself, and deliver the output however the OS directs (which I assume would go to your headphones). This is a perfectly good solution, unless it doesn't meet your needs for some reason.

If you need an external mixer, the Yamaha does appear to include line-level inputs, either by using the combination XLR/TRS ports (the big obvious inputs numbered 1 through 4 - they're XLR jacks with an extra large hole in the middle) or by using the dedicated line inputs (ports 5-8). Those all take a 1/4" TS plug. A 3.5mm TRS plug can fit there with a cheap adapter. However, those inputs are mono, and your typical headphone plug is stereo, so you'll also need an adapter that splits the stereo into left and right channels. All that adapting can be done in one part, pretty easily found by looking for "stereo to 1/4 cable".

51 minutes ago, GR412 said:

I would like to be able to listen to both PC sounds and Xbox game sounds while using my headset that is plugged into an audio interface or mixer. You see I like to watch and listen to YouTube videos on my PC while playing on my Xbox One X on another monitor.

1. However I’m wondering if it would be be possible to plug in an Xbox One X audio source using a Toslink to 3.5mm adapter on the Xbox end then plugging the other 3.5mm end into an audio interface or mixer? Which my headset would also be plugged into.

1. Currently I do this by plugging the 3.5mm end coming from the Xbox into the blue ‘line in’ port on my PC’s motherboard. I’m assuming that this would be the same for the audio interface and mixer?

1. I’m thinking of getting the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for an audio interface or the Yamaha MG10XU mixer, but it seems that the Scarlett 2i2 doesn’t have any line input ports, and I’m not sure if the MG10XU has any.

Does that I mean I would have to find an audio interface with line in ports such as the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 instead for this to work as I want?

1. Yes, that should work, but you will have to set the XBox audio settings to be compatible with the adapter. Keep in mind that a Toslink to 3.5 is a active adapter with a DAC, it will directly effect audio quality and might introduce a slight delay. It would be better to look for an interface or mixer that has a Toslink input (if possible, that might be hard to find without getting into too high of price points).

2. Same idea, but very different. The Line-in port on a computer is taking analog, converting it to digital, sending that into the Windows audio mixer and then back out to the audio out. A mixer does everything in real-time with no software or lag.

3. The Scarlett 2i2 has two inputs on the front that you can use for Left and Right, you just need the right cable, because they are pro-audio interfaces, this would work...

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Splitter-Compatible-Computer-Multimedia/dp/B00ZKM3S4S/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=1%2F4+ts+to+3.5+trs&qid=1574878654&sr=8-3

Having said that, the Yamaha is more general purpose and flexible. The Scarlett is for a more specific purpose and not really meant for what you are trying to do.

On 11/27/2019 at 6:21 PM, Sarten X said:

You are correct that you need to mix audio signals, and it needs to be done properly to avoid damage to the components. However, it also happens to be pretty easy to mix signals. It's just a matter of getting the right signals to the right places at the right power.

You've already found the cheapest and most direct way to mix signals with a PC: Just add an input to the computer's dedicated input ports. The line-in jack is intended for line-level signals, which is exactly what would be coming out of any port intended for headphones. The sound hardware will mix the signals itself, and deliver the output however the OS directs (which I assume would go to your headphones). This is a perfectly good solution, unless it doesn't meet your needs for some reason.

If you need an external mixer, the Yamaha does appear to include line-level inputs, either by using the combination XLR/TRS ports (the big obvious inputs numbered 1 through 4 - they're XLR jacks with an extra large hole in the middle) or by using the dedicated line inputs (ports 5-8). Those all take a 1/4" TS plug. A 3.5mm TRS plug can fit there with a cheap adapter. However, those inputs are mono, and your typical headphone plug is stereo, so you'll also need an adapter that splits the stereo into left and right channels. All that adapting can be done in one part, pretty easily found by looking for "stereo to 1/4 cable".

So if I were to buy a mixer, i would need to take my Xbox line input cable and split that into the left and right channels on the Yamaha mixer? Or are you talking about my headphone out cable? Or both?

On 11/27/2019 at 6:24 PM, sphbecker said:

1. Yes, that should work, but you will have to set the XBox audio settings to be compatible with the adapter. Keep in mind that a Toslink to 3.5 is a active adapter with a DAC, it will directly effect audio quality and might introduce a slight delay. It would be better to look for an interface or mixer that has a Toslink input (if possible, that might be hard to find without getting into too high of price points).

2. Same idea, but very different. The Line-in port on a computer is taking analog, converting it to digital, sending that into the Windows audio mixer and then back out to the audio out. A mixer does everything in real-time with no software or lag.

3. The Scarlett 2i2 has two inputs on the front that you can use for Left and Right, you just need the right cable, because they are pro-audio interfaces, this would work...

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Splitter-Compatible-Computer-Multimedia/dp/B00ZKM3S4S/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=1%2F4+ts+to+3.5+trs&qid=1574878654&sr=8-3

Having said that, the Yamaha is more general purpose and flexible. The Scarlett is for a more specific purpose and not really meant for what you are trying to do.

Well I intend to use a mixer or audio interface to plug in an XLR Microphone, so if i were to get the Scarlett 2i2 I don't think there would be enough in line ports to split into stereo with that adapter you linked, as one of the XLR ports would be occupired with a Microphone. So I assume i'd need a mixer or audio interface with two in line ports for left and right channels? Meaning probaly the Scarlett 4i4 in this case?

On 12/1/2019 at 12:47 PM, GR412 said:

Yes, the XBox cable carries two signals (left and right). To get them into the mixer, they need to split to two separate plugs.

2. TOSLINK cable
  6. Mixer

1. PC
  2. USB cable
  3. Mixer

2. 1/4" to 1/8" adapter (probably, unless your headphones have a 1/4" plug on them)
  3. Headphones

Now, you mentioned an XLR microphone... that gets a bit more tricky. The problem is that most mixers (including the MG10XU) are really meant for creating a single stereo mix. Add a microphone to that mix, and you'll be hearing yourself speak, and recording the XBox (and probably the PC, as well). Because you can only set one mix, you have to be hearing exactly what you record. If you're trying to record commentary on gameplay, for example, you'll want your voice to be louder than the game, and that's how you'll have to play, as well. For voice chat during multiplayer, you'd be sending your game sound to your teammates whenever you speak.

A more straightforward setup would still be to put everything into your PC. The microphone's chain would look like this:

1. Microphone
  3. XLR to 1/8" cable

You don't need separate audio interface hardware for a single microphone, even if it has an XLR connector. 

There should be an option in your PC sound configuration to control whether you hear your own voice, and at what level. The PC usually produces at least two separate mixes:

That means that what you hear is separately configurable from what's recorded or used by software. Unfortunately, the details on how to configure the mix depends on your audio hardware and drivers, but it usually hidden in the Sound Control Panel dialog window.

If it were my system, I wouldn't buy anything but adapters. I'd just plug everything into the PC, and spend some time getting familiar with the configuration options available there.

As for delay through your PC audio hardware, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Unless you have some exceptionally buggy drivers, the lag from digital mixing tops out at about a millisecond. There's more delay than that just waiting for the nerves in your ear to perceive the sound.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:45 AM, Sarten X said:

2. TOSLINK cable
  6. Mixer

1. PC
  2. USB cable
  3. Mixer

3. Headphones

1. Microphone
  3. XLR to 1/8" cable

Okay that's really helpful, thanks a lot. I see a lot of Twitch streamers using mixers and audio intefaces so i wasn't sure if i needed them or not for that reason. The other reason i thought about getting a mixer or audio interface is to potentially improve audio quality, especially if i ever get some high end headphones. I read for some headphones with higher impedance I might need a more powerful DAC / amplifier, so i thought about getting one of the scarlett audio interfaces so i could have improved audio quality and a port to plug in an XLR mic.

19 hours ago, GR412 said:

Okay that's really helpful, thanks a lot. I see a lot of Twitch streamers using mixers and audio intefaces so i wasn't sure if i needed them or not for that reason. The other reason i thought about getting a mixer or audio interface is to potentially improve audio quality, especially if i ever get some high end headphones. I read for some headphones with higher impedance I might need a more powerful DAC / amplifier, so i thought about getting one of the scarlett audio interfaces so i could have improved audio quality and a port to plug in an XLR mic.

My rule of thumb is to do as much as I can with existing equipment... and given how much audiophile hyperbole is out there, I won't recommend any upgrades without trying the minimum setup first. The reality is that all built-in audio hardware is amazingly high quality compared to the standard-setting equipment from the '70s and '80s. An external interface might be an improvement, but generally I'd say it's only worth it if there's added features (like surround sound speakers, extra mixing buses, or working around a broken or underpowered built-in system.

Since you mention high-impedance headphones, I'll share my own story. I recently bought a pair of cheap headphones (on sale for $50), and the Amazon listing said they needed a high-power amp. I plugged them in anyway, and... they work just fine. They're a little quieter (maybe 3dB) than my old headphones, but I had plenty of room on the Windows volume adjustment. It turns out my motherboard's built-in amp is just as powerful as a "high-power" external amp, but ASRock apparently didn't feel the need to boast about it.

The moral of the story is that minimal solutions usually work. Try the cheap route first.

4 hours ago, Sarten X said:

My rule of thumb is to do as much as I can with existing equipment... and given how much audiophile hyperbole is out there, I won't recommend any upgrades without trying the minimum setup first. The reality is that all built-in audio hardware is amazingly high quality compared to the standard-setting equipment from the '70s and '80s. An external interface might be an improvement, but generally I'd say it's only worth it if there's added features (like surround sound speakers, extra mixing buses, or working around a broken or underpowered built-in system.

Since you mention high-impedance headphones, I'll share my own story. I recently bought a pair of cheap headphones (on sale for $50), and the Amazon listing said they needed a high-power amp. I plugged them in anyway, and... they work just fine. They're a little quieter (maybe 3dB) than my old headphones, but I had plenty of room on the Windows volume adjustment. It turns out my motherboard's built-in amp is just as powerful as a "high-power" external amp, but ASRock apparently didn't feel the need to boast about it.

The moral of the story is that minimal solutions usually work. Try the cheap route first.

Yeah I think I will do a bit of research on my own motherboards soundcard, thanks for the advice regarding that. I'm very new to audio and it's quite daunting with all this equipment. I suppose i can always buy external equipment if it turns out i actually need it.