Modding an AIO

Hey Guys! I wanna mod my old Corsair H115i (I know, bad Idea you're not gonna talk me out of it) and replace the radiator with a 360 to fit in my new case. My question is copper or aluminium rad? What's on the block? Or is there already copper and aluminium mixed inside the pump/block combo?

13 minutes ago, Sh3ld0r said:

Hey Guys! I wanna mod my old Corsair H115i (I know, bad Idea you're not gonna talk me out of it) and replace the radiator with a 360 to fit in my new case. My question is copper or aluminium rad? What's on the block? Or is there already copper and aluminium mixed inside the pump/block combo?

Factory wise it is a copper block with an aluminium radiator. If you're doing it anyway I would personally get a copper radiator.

Doesn't the H115i have a weaker pump than the H150i? Or at least the software that controls the pump is going to work as if it using only a 280, would you have to do some software tweaking as well to get it to work well with the 360 rad? Depending on the cost of materials/parts and the time involved wouldn't it be cheaper in both time and money to just buy a 360 AIO?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Thanks Guys!

4 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Doesn't the H115i have a weaker pump than the H150i? Or at least the software that controls the pump is going to work as if it using only a 280, would you have to do some software tweaking as well to get it to work well with the 360 rad? Depending on the cost of materials/parts and the time involved wouldn't it be cheaper in both time and money to just buy a 360 AIO?

As I said not gonna talk me out of it :D

23 minutes ago, Sh3ld0r said:

Ngl I think that’s dumb for many reasons which I reckon you’ll ignore.

but from a science perspective copper is better than aluminium and you want it to be black as that dissipates more heat.

im not sure what you mean by the mixed inside pump block I help with what I can.

7 minutes ago, Sh3ld0r said:

Thanks Guys!

As I said not gonna talk me out of it :D

Not trying to talk you out of it, just asking a few questions. I really don't care if you are going to try it or not. :D 

I was genuinely curious about the pumps and if software tweaking is needed. Also to me seems like it will either be a little over or pretty much the same cost as just buying a 360 AIO new.

Is there any reason you're doing it or just doing it test it out?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

You will 100% be fine, as long as you aren't driving a 10 foot run with vastly differing elevations this wont hurt it at all.  Im doing the same with a H100i GTX Im putting off cause I haven't grabbed up a GPU to add into that loop as well (using the pump/block, adding a reservoir and putting in 3 rads + GPU block and controlling it with iCUE - have a 10 fan splitter off a 4 pin extension to use on the block that's powered by molex I have everything but the GPU atm, probably will order over the next 3 days kind of waiting for black Friday deals)

EDIT - if you use Aluminum radiator I suggest using Prestone 50/50 premix radiator fluid with their patented Cor-Guard (its what I use in my mixed metals loops)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

3 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Not trying to talk you out of it, just asking a few questions. I really don't care if you are going to try it or not. :D 

I was genuinely curious about the pumps and if software tweaking is needed. Also to me seems like it will either be a little over or pretty much the same cost as just buying a 360 AIO new.

Is there any reason you're doing it or just doing it test it out?

I just wanna try it out. And I have the 280 already lying around and the radiator is cheaper than buying new, if it works. If it doesnt I can still buy the 360 and just send the rad. back.

BTW would anyone of you happen to know the tube diameter of the h115? Don't wanna get surprised after opening it :)

Think most of them use an odd size but traditional stuff still works fine. Should be good to use 3/8id hose. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

12 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Think most of them use an odd size but traditional stuff still works fine. Should be good to use 3/8id hose. 

Thanks

hey man, when its done can we get a picture and some temps updates ? That would be cool ! :)

6 minutes ago, chen57 said:

hey man, when its done can we get a picture and some temps updates ? That would be cool ! :)

Yeah, If I remember. Just moved out and blew 3 grand on my drivers licence tho so Im gonna need to save a bit before modding my PC again.

I have done this mod, and it works. Though custom water cooling works better.

Only problem I had was with bleeding the system.

The pump isn't that powerful, and is placed relatively high in the loop, so filling it wasn't easy.

But the temps were decent.

Good luck.

20190612_201950.jpg

24 minutes ago, MiniMike DK said:

I have done this mod, and it works. Though custom water cooling works better.

Only problem I had was with bleeding the system.

The pump isn't that powerful, and is placed relatively high in the loop, so filling it wasn't easy.

But the temps were decent.

Good luck.

20190612_201950.jpg

Looks cool

I love the corsair aio blocks. I think in my case the pump should be plenty powerful since I'm only swapping the rad and not adding a gpu block and res