Motherboard installation doozies

SanJoseSharks

Can I install my RAM and CPU on my motherboard and then install it in my case or is there some hazard in doing that?

Yup it's perfectly fine to do so.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

No, that's the main way of doing it. There are no hazards if you ground yourself before installation of both components, touch the case first before installing the parts. :D

Do it in anyway that pleases you. Just make sure to ground yourself prior to touching any component with an exposed PCB.

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

That is fine, but PLEASE ground yourself before doing it. If you were like me and not confident you have grounded yourself just go buy a anti Static strap, or something like that, I was sure I wouldn't damage anything but got one to help me feel more confident, and safe. I managed to get one really cheap for £1 ($1.80).

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

That is fine, but PLEASE ground yourself before doing it. If you were like me and not confident you have grounded yourself just go buy a anti Static strap, or something like that, I was sure I wouldn't damage anything but got one to help me feel more confident, and safe. I managed to get one really cheap for £1 ($1.80).

Except an anti-static wrist strap doesn't really work. Think about it, how does it transfer any static on you to the ground?

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Except an anti-static wrist strap doesn't really work. Think about it, how does it transfer any static on you to the ground?

I didn't use it for it to work, I just used it to make myself feel more confident, knowing I am doing what I can to reduce the risk. I actually only wore it while unboxing the case, took it off then forgot about it, and hasn't moved from my draw.

You wear it and connect it to something grounded, as the whole thing is mental it also grounds you. 

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

I usually use that method (it usually makes life easier) and I have never had any problems doing it that way. Regarding static which most people are talking about here, I usually ground myself by touching an exposed metal object every few minutes, and have never had any problems doing this either.

Check out my video work at youtube.com/SuperUserTech

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

i plug the psu in (already installed in the case) then clip the static strap to the case...grounded