Threadripper 3 real-world use cases?

TaylorHu

So there's been a barrage of TR3 reviews today, I've watched a lot of them, and it's all the same story. Really impressive numbers, beats Intel, going over the on-paper specs, etc etc. But what I think a lot of the reviews are missing is the real-world use cases and advantages. Synthetic benchmarks in a vacuum and FPS charts (usually at 1080p, which I get is so that the test is more 'cpu bound' but doesn't seem like an accurate real-world test as many people who are dropping $2000 on a CPU are probably running AT LEAST 1440p monitors) only tell a part of the story. Who is this for? What's the workload of someone who can actually take advantage of all those extra cores and horsepower? What do all those extra PCIe 4.0 lanes actually bring to the table? Etc?

TL;DR reviews are a stream of benchmarks and spec numbers, what does it all mean in the real world for real users?

3 minutes ago, TaylorHu said:

So there's been a barrage of TR3 reviews today, I've watched a lot of them, and it's all the same story. Really impressive numbers, beats Intel, going over the on-paper specs, etc etc. But what I think a lot of the reviews are missing is the real-world use cases and advantages. Synthetic benchmarks in a vacuum and FPS charts (usually at 1080p, which I get is so that the test is more 'cpu bound' but doesn't seem like an accurate real-world test as many people who are dropping $2000 on a CPU are probably running AT LEAST 1440p monitors) only tell a part of the story. Who is this for? What's the workload of someone who can actually take advantage of all those extra cores and horsepower? What do all those extra PCIe 4.0 lanes actually bring to the table? Etc?

TL;DR reviews are a stream of benchmarks and spec numbers, what does it all mean in the real world for real users?

from my understanding people who use autodesk, especially on bigger projects as this can be devistating on a pc (someone inside ltt {i forgot who it was} apparently has a excel file that wont open on any pc with less than 64gb ram, so then you change that to a 3d modeled item that could include 1000+ seperate parts, all with their individual extrusions and sketches)

I know the computers we had at school all had i7 processors and would start chugging when you hit about 7 or 8 parts inside an assembly (this was a few years ago)

for example

Image result for autodesk inventor big build

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

from my understanding people who use autodesk, especially on bigger projects

yeah for business use, not personal use

people are fascinated by day dreaming of some rocket engine nasa spec for personal use

There are loads of real world use cases: 3D work and rendering for film and/or engineering, other engineering or scientific work including simulations of biological, chemical, or physical processes, etc. Video editing and remdering.  Basically anything and everything that's ever benefitted from a high end CPU will be even better with TR3.  If you can't think of anything you would do with it personally, then you're not the target audience.  Anyone for whom this is useful and for whom it's intended will already know exactly what they want it for, and they'll want it bad.

Hell you can even game on it and get 9900k matching or beating performance, that's just not the intended use case though.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

18 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

businesses

video editing

pcie 4 is a gimmick until better gpus come out, in 4 yrs time

PCIE 4.0 has real benefits with SSD storage arrays due to the extra bandwidth.

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO