Old Apple LED cinema display problems

_thomas

I have a 2011 (ish) Apple LED Cinema Display 27". TO be clear, it's the MDP model, not thunderbolt. Recently it's developed this behaviour where it's screen will go black whilst in use. It's always still dectected as a display and it's speakers etc stil work whilst whatever desktop I have extended or duplicated there remains running. 

To get it working I can unplug it from power and then plug it back in again, a few times, and then it'll work constantly (hours and hours) until I power down whatever machine I have it hooked up to. 

IS this a common issue and is there a home spun fix for this? Feels like it could be a power issue but perhaps limited only to the display?

For context it behaves the same way when using any machine plugged into it - currently it is regulary used with a 2010 macbook, a 2014 macbook pro 15" and a couple of Lenovo laptop (a newish thinkpad and an ultrabook).

Any ideas? 

Sounds like either a bad display cable or a dying display panel to me. You should first try a new or different display cable and see if the issue still persists, if it does then it's either the port or the display panel itself my guess is the panel. You can maybe find a replacement panel for it, but with the age and the probable cost of that kind of part (Apple parts if rare or in high enough demand will be expensive even if they're that old), depending on the price of a new panel you may just want to look into getting a new monitor entirely.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |