Brave 1.0 - New web browser that blocks ads and trackers

Pachuca

There's a new web browser out called Brave and it claims to be the best when it comes to privacy. They even offer to pay you for watching privacy friendly ads. I haven't had time to get into the details of this and was hoping someone might know more on this topic, but here's an article about it in case you don't know what I'm talking about. What browser are you using now and would you consider switching from it to try out Brave 1.0?

No because Chrome is great. I don't care about the whole privacy thing or whatever because extensions are useful. The integration is also nice.

Like the only way to stay private in this day and age is to pinch yourself and stop dreaming because at this point you aren't changing anything.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

No because Chrome is great. I don't care about the whole privacy thing or whatever because extensions are useful. The integration is also nice.

Like the only way to stay private in this day and age is to pinch yourself and stop dreaming because at this point you aren't changing anything.

I like chrome too, but all the built-in security works better in Brave. 

"

The problem with some browser security features is that they can interfere with a website to such a degree that you can't access the content you came to the site for. For security-minded users, that means we may have to go through an often obnoxious process of disabling each of our security plugins or on-board features, one at a time, until we figure out which one is causing the hiccup. 

The best part of Brave's privacy suite is that it eliminates this game of broken website whack-a-mole, and makes it faster and less annoying to have a secure browsing experience. A single click on the Brave icon on your address bar allows you to see a small menu with simplified toggles that underlie the extensive, customizable security panel in the browser's settings pages.  "

I'd love to get off of chrome but other browsers don't support Google integration. I don't want to give up my synced history, bookmarks, passwords, ability to send to phone, casting, etc.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Been out about a year now IIRC, haven't tried it other than a quick install on my phone though.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

I'd love to get off of chrome but other browsers don't support Google integration. I don't want to give up my synced history, bookmarks, passwords, ability to send to phone, casting, etc.

I recently setup Brave on my desktop and it was able to get all that information from chrome with a click of a button, but as for syncing the information across devices I don't know if there's an option for it yet.

doesnt one of these pop up every so often, in different flavours?

i've taken peace with the fact that these days tracking is nearly unavoidable. or in the way bryan lunduke put it so nicely: "caring about it makes me tired.."

Just now, Pachuca said:

I recently setup Brave on my desktop and it was able to get all that information from chrome with a click of a button, but as for syncing the information across devices I don't know if there's an option for it yet.

if it's a security minded browser, syncing will either never happen, or require the end user to set up their own synchronisation service. sync between devices relies on sending information to the browser developer. (i suppose that could be encrypted and blabla, but honestly who will bother?)