BenQ monitor and a new video card/PC

neolithic3

Hi,

I recently got a new Monitor (BenQ 24" - GL2450HT Widescreen LCD Monitor). It came with a cord that I plugged in to my old video card (ATI Radeon 5800 series). The ends of the cable are blue which I think means it is a VGA cable. It is my understanding that VGA is a low quality format and that I should be using a newer type such as HDMI or DVI (am I correct in this?) I will be getting a new computer next week that will feature a Geforce 770 video card so I am wanting some input into what I should get as far as a cord for my monitor and my new computer. Also, do I need to do anything other than literally just plug the cable into the video card and back of the monitor?

Thanks very much!

You are correct in saying hdmi and dvi are the HD cables while VGA is analog which gives it a low quality feel.

use DVI if at all possible because it provides the best qulity.

My rig: Case: Cooler master storm scout

CPU: I5 3570k - Ram:  8Gb Kingston HyperX Blu

GPU: GTX 660 - Sorage: 2-1TB WD black;  120 GB samsung 840

get like a 2 meter (or whatever it is in feet) long DVI-D cable and you should be fine.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Thanks for the replies. So, can I just select any DVI cable the store sells and that will work fine? Also, my monitor supposedly has speakers built into it but no sound comes through is that because I have a VGA cable and not one of the newer cables?

Thanks for the replies. So, can I just select any DVI cable the store sells and that will work fine? Also, my monitor supposedly has speakers built into it but no sound comes through is that because I have a VGA cable and not one of the newer cables?

Well DVI is just HDMI but without audio so hook it up with HDMI and the speakers should work or plug in your own speakers if the monitor has a 3.5mm jack

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

Thanks, Nix. I have separate speakers so I don't really care if the monitor ones work or not, I was just mainly curious as to why they were not working. When I get my computer next week I will pick up a dvi cable too. Thanks!