HDMI Splitter and soundbar

Paul Siu

I have an older tv with HDMI but no HDMI-ARC. It's currently connected to a Roku through HDMI. I want to add a soundbar but pass through the dolby digital plus signal sent by streaming service, which optical output won't support and isn't downmixed by the TV (the tv does not support dolby digital Plus, only plain DD). The soundbar does support dd+.

I want to solve this problem by adding a HDMI splitter so that the in part will be connected to the roku, and the output will be to the TV and the soundbar. The idea is that the DD+ will got to the soundbar while the video will go to the TV. Will this work? Will this cause a picture issue (since the soundbar isn't going to show up as a tv) or audio? Will there be picture/sound sync issues? Most post are about trying to hook up two monitor, not a tv and a soundbar.

Paul

Just want to follow up that I have installed the HDMI splitter and it appears to work fine. Basically, the roku stick is plugged into the splitter. One of the split output then goes to the TV, while the other one goes to the soundbar.

Paul