Ryzen 5 2500U vs 3500U for a laptop

Hi all.

It's been some time since I've been trying to replace my laptop and maybe I'm doing it soon.

I'm just looking for a nice, thin, portable laptop with decent battery life to carry around and take with me to work and on long plane trips to have a lighter device to carry in my backpack while I'll get a more capable machine later on to keep at home.

Moreover, I want it to be a 2 in 1 to try out note taking, drawing and capable for light occasional gaming while traveling.

The best best solutions I've found are the Lenovo Flex 14 and Hp Envy x360 13 2019 both with Ryzen 5 3500U and Vega 8.

From my research I've found this config to be the best regarding price and performance but I have a slight dilemma choosing the processor.

The Vega 8 offers some better gaming performance than crappy Intel iGPU on low to medium settings without breaking the bank and without looking for bonker expensive MX150-250 solutions but shares up to 2 GB of VRAM with the system RAM, so I need to have the most RAM possible in order for the Vega to not eat though my resources.

Getting to the point...I'm leaning preferring more the HP Envy, my question is regarding convenience between getting an older gen Envy with Ryzen 5 2500U wich comes with a config of 16GB and 512 GB SSD Nvme (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RKLJST4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Q1n1Db56SDR34) while the latest gen, 3500U (not even sure if it really is the latest) only comes with 8 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD Nvme (HP ENVY x360 - 13-ar0062nr https://store.hp.com/us/en/vwa/laptops/scrs=13-;proc=AMD;segm=Home;form=Convertible?jumpid=ma_lt_innovation_na_1_190104).

Is there a ton of performance difference between the 2500U and the 3500U? Would it be a smarter choice to go with the latest 3500U?

I have to point out that the Flex seems to allow Ram upgradability while the Envy is soldered on.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Drexo said:

There's not too much of a performance gap.

just make sure the RAM is dual channel at least

pretty much every laptop is going to have some trade offs though.

But for portable drawing on the go you could always pick up a Note 8 or Note 9 and ignore that part of the laptop.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Thanks but I'm gonna need Windows, if I might even consider the tablet possibility I'll go with an iPad pro.

Both these models are single channel Ram only. The Lenovo Flex 14 is interchangable while the Envy is soldered.

The reason desktop people are buying 2600s atm is theyre dirt cheap and can be swapped later if needed. Laptops can’t swap CPUs. I wouldn’t go near a 2600 on a laptop unless the deal was outstanding. 3600u is more power efficient and faster.  10th gen intel is likely with waiting for if you’re not in a hurry.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

The reason desktop people are buying 2600s atm is theyre dirt cheap and can be swapped later if needed. Laptops can’t swap CPUs. I wouldn’t go near a 2600 on a laptop unless the deal was outstanding. 3600u is more power efficient and faster.  10th gen intel is likely with waiting for if you’re not in a hurry.

The CPUs in the Laptop are only Zen and Zen+

1 minute ago, Drexo said:

Thanks but I'm gonna need Windows, if I might even consider the tablet possibility I'll go with an iPad pro.

Both these models are single channel Ram only. The Lenovo Flex 14 is interchangable while the Envy is soldered.

I have no idea why they bother with single channel for an APU as it's performance is literally cut in half.

The Matebook D is probably the best overall AMD Laptop, but naturally there's no touch screen.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I'll be getting this laptop before Christmas so I'm not waiting for 10th gen Intel stuff and moreover I want to stay with a Ryzen solution for the better graphics and lower price 

Just now, Drexo said:

I'll be getting this laptop before Christmas so I'm not waiting for 10th gen Intel stuff and moreover I want to stay with a Ryzen solution for the better graphics and lower price 

Fair enough.  Had to be said.  My knowledge of laptops is limited, but that dell Linus was wielding in a recent video looked like it would fit the bill pretty good for this application.  He seemed to actually like it on top of it being a sponsored product.  It was sponsored so there is a BS factor there but he did seem to actually like the thing too.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Fair enough.  Had to be said.  My knowledge of laptops is limited, but that dell Linus was wielding in a recent video looked like it would fit the bill pretty good for this application.  He seemed to actually like it on top of it being a sponsored product.  It was sponsored so there is a BS factor there but he did seem to actually like the thing too.

Yeah I watched that video too, you mean that one about the Lenovo right? I was actually researching that model even before the video was released, I appreciated the timing though and yeah, the review looked quite reassuring even if I still prefer the 2019 Envy x360, it's way sleeker looking and 13 but at the end it matters little since I'll be using it mostly for work and travel. The Flex comes in cheaper and with a pen included like all manufacturers should do.

50 minutes ago, Drexo said:

Yeah I watched that video too, you mean that one about the Lenovo right? I was actually researching that model even before the video was released, I appreciated the timing though and yeah, the review looked quite reassuring even if I still prefer the 2019 Envy x360, it's way sleeker looking and 13 but at the end it matters little since I'll be using it mostly for work and travel. The Flex comes in cheaper and with a pen included like all manufacturers should do.

I think it was a dell. There were two nearly identical ones. An intel and an AMD.  He Pepsi challenges the two and the AMD beat the 8th gen intel.  Could have been Lenovo I guess.  I’m not in the laptop market though so you’ll know more about it than me based solely on attention.  I don’t know if it’s allowed to link Linus videos in here or I’d go find it.

1 hour ago, Drexo said:

Lenovo Flex 14 and Hp Envy x360 13 2019

Open to other options?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Open to other options?

Yeah of course, I forgot to mention it.

If you can suggest me any other models with similar characteristics I'd be thankful.

Summarizing characteristics:

- Use for productivity, media consumption, occasional light gaming.

- Ultrabook or anything fairly portable.

- Display FHD in the 13 to 14 inches range, preferibly 13".

- Decent battery life (at least 5 hours).

- 2 in 1 with pen support.

- Capable of light occasional gaming with a RX Vega 8 or anything better.

- At least with 8 GB of RAM and preferibly capable of upgrading RAM slots.

- At least 256 GB of SSD Nvme.

- Preferebly with Windows hello either by face or finger print unlock.

- Price range <800$.

- Anything available right now, I'm not waiting around for upcoming specs.

The models I've found so far are:

- Lenovo Flex 14 with Ryzen 5 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TWHYTSQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ybs1Db75JFNEV)

- HP Envy x360 13 2019 with Ryzen 5 (https://store.hp.com/us/en/vwa/laptops/scrs=13-;proc=AMD;segm=Home;brand=ENVY?jumpid=ma_lt_featured_na_5_180720).

Looking forward for your suggestions, thanks

Was going to suggest business grade convertible but since you need Vega 8 or better, that's not an option

Are you from US? Mind low sRGB display?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

3 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Was going to suggest business grade convertible but since you need Vega 8 or better, that's not an option

Are you from US? Mind low sRGB display?

Not from the US but that's the least of my troubles since I'm going to import it from there with the help of a friend anyway.

About the GPU could be anything just not an Intel HD 620.

I'm not an artist even if I do some graphics designing time to time so of the screen is color accurate or not it doesn't matter, just hoping it looks good and it's well lit.

Today I found this one, it's the Asus Zenbook Flip 14 with and MX150 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QR6DKHV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CKs1DbM3RTYSC).

I've known this model for sometime already but looks like it's finally affordable in my price range if I buy it used. Ticks all my boxes so far, but if you still have something to suggest go ahead, thanks.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:28 AM, Drexo said:

Not from the US but that's the least of my troubles since I'm going to import it from there with the help of a friend anyway.

About the GPU could be anything just not an Intel HD 620.

I'm not an artist even if I do some graphics designing time to time so if the screen is color accurate or not it doesn't matter, just hoping it looks good enough for media consumption, games and well lit.

Today I found this one, it's the Asus Zenbook Flip 14 with and MX150 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QR6DKHV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CKs1DbM3RTYSC).

I've known this model for sometime already but looks like it's finally affordable in my price range if I buy it used. Ticks all my boxes so far, but if you still have something to suggest go ahead, thanks.

I watched again some reviews on the Zenbook flip and It doesn't look good, finger print reader doesn't work, drawing experience is clunky and fails to pick the first strokes and thermal throttles like no other. I'm back at my first 2 choices.

Usually models with low sRGB display has upgradeable RAM, like Flex 14. The power limit configuration in that model is pretty decent too

Desktop specs:

Spoiler