College Dorm Wifi Router Ethernet HELP!

QueenObama
Go to solution Solved by sphbecker,

Check this one out, great price for the latest WiFi 6 chipset, and its an Intel chipset, they are basically the king of WiFi right now. You also get BlueTooth (but it requires an internal USB header for BT).

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GC-Wbax200-802-11Ax-Bluetooth-Expansion/dp/B07VNBC5PS/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=ax200&qid=1574201346&sr=8-8

Okay here is the situation, 

1) I move into college and don't bring my PC ( still on its way from Germany) so i use my PS4 and play games like NBA 2K, Madden, and COD

2) My computer comes, I move it into my dorm room and since My room luckily enough has a router ( it goes every other room has a router) I undo the router, plug in my ethernet cord into the second port next to the port that has the internet line fed into from the wall. There is only two options one port that says "Console" other one is the "port two" or something like that.

3 Go to plug into my computer, turn it one, log in, and get the no internet sign. Not like the one that is Red or yellow with some warning thing on it, but the one that looks like a globe and stuff and says no internet.

4) hmm i think, what could be wrong, try using trouble shoot, try using different cord, try using the other port, the console one, no dice.

5) Go to SDSU website Rezcon, says " We don't offer Ethernet only wifi" Im like shiiiiit.

6) How the Wifi works is that ether it connects automatically, you have to log on with you College ID and Password ( so they can monitor you / see who's on the network ) So im like shit i dont have a Wifi card built into my computer or pre installed on the Motherboard, so I use some trial and error + Google, and use my Razor Blade Laptop 15 that has Ethernet port, plug my ethernet cable between laptop and computer, connect to wifi using laptop, and bridge the connection to the school wifi and the computer, and i basically have a laptop acting as a router for my PC.

7) Speeds are actually not bad, 30 - 40 ping, and like 200Mb down and 100Mb up or something, would work perfect except for the ping spikes

8) Tried to play csgo and well about every 25 seconds BOOM lag spike or almost disconnect, csgo is like my favorite game 3k hours+ (yes i know that's 1/2 year of my life spent playing a video game)

9) This made me relies that buying a wifi card for my computer probably wont fix the lag spikes since I mean basically its going to lag and throttle on the wifi anyways so might as well not spend 30 bucks.

10) So this brought me here where if a solution will come itll be thought of by someone here

My ideas

1)Call Rezcon Every day for the next month and try to get a way to get ethernet or something i mean jeez im paying like 2k a month for housing let me get my ethernet, 

2) Split the Ethernet cord coming out of the wall, tie the copper wires to another ethernet cord and then do that whole process of putting the cord back together, and plug in directly from the wall and fuck over my neighbors and roommates with poor wifi connection cause the gotta connect to farther router.

3) Buy a router, see if I can plug the ethernet from wall into that then set it up and a new network, or plug another router into the default router and set it up and then use ethernet to my computer

4) Give up gaming for a year and focus on School

5) Come to Linustechtips.com and make a post and hopefully someone knows 

Listen, Smile, Agree. 

Then do whatever the fuck you were going to do anyway

18 minutes ago, QueenObama said:

Okay here is the situation, 

1) I move into college and don't bring my PC ( still on its way from Germany) so i use my PS4 and play games like NBA 2K, Madden, and COD

2) My computer comes, I move it into my dorm room and since My room luckily enough has a router ( it goes every other room has a router) I undo the router, plug in my ethernet cord into the second port next to the port that has the internet line fed into from the wall. There is only two options one port that says "Console" other one is the "port two" or something like that.

3 Go to plug into my computer, turn it one, log in, and get the no internet sign. Not like the one that is Red or yellow with some warning thing on it, but the one that looks like a globe and stuff and says no internet.

4) hmm i think, what could be wrong, try using trouble shoot, try using different cord, try using the other port, the console one, no dice.

5) Go to SDSU website Rezcon, says " We don't offer Ethernet only wifi" Im like shiiiiit.

6) How the Wifi works is that ether it connects automatically, you have to log on with you College ID and Password ( so they can monitor you / see who's on the network ) So im like shit i dont have a Wifi card built into my computer or pre installed on the Motherboard, so I use some trial and error + Google, and use my Razor Blade Laptop 15 that has Ethernet port, plug my ethernet cable between laptop and computer, connect to wifi using laptop, and bridge the connection to the school wifi and the computer, and i basically have a laptop acting as a router for my PC.

7) Speeds are actually not bad, 30 - 40 ping, and like 200Mb down and 100Mb up or something, would work perfect except for the ping spikes

? Tried to play csgo and well about every 25 seconds BOOM lag spike or almost disconnect, csgo is like my favorite game 3k hours+ (yes i know that's 1/2 year of my life spent playing a video game)

9) This made me relies that buying a wifi card for my computer probably wont fix the lag spikes since I mean basically its going to lag and throttle on the wifi anyways so might as well not spend 30 bucks.

10) So this brought me here where if a solution will come itll be thought of by someone here

My ideas

1)Call Rezcon Every day for the next month and try to get a way to get ethernet or something i mean jeez im paying like 2k a month for housing let me get my ethernet, 

2) Split the Ethernet cord coming out of the wall, tie the copper wires to another ethernet cord and then do that whole process of putting the cord back together, and plug in directly from the wall and fuck over my neighbors and roommates with poor wifi connection cause the gotta connect to farther router.

3) Buy a router, see if I can plug the ethernet from wall into that then set it up and a new network, or plug another router into the default router and set it up and then use ethernet to my computer

4) Give up gaming for a year and focus on School

5) Come to Linustechtips.com and make a post and hopefully someone knows 

Their network their rules. Generally they can control access of devices connected. So if the Ethernet wont work, they probably have a white list of devices that are connected to Ethernet. If you keep pushing them they might leave you without internet access or ask you to leave. My advice is to buy a WiFi card for your computer. Because attempting to tap in to the Ethernet network could get you expelled from the school. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Their network their rules. Generally they can control access of devices connected. So if the Ethernet wont work, they probably have a white list of devices that are connected to Ethernet. If you keep pushing them they might leave you without internet access or ask you to leave. My advice is to buy a WiFi card for your computer. Because attempting to tap in to the Ethernet network could get you expelled from the school. 

Well damn, any recomendations for best wifi card that might allow most consistancy for games like csgo any other game wont really matter 

Listen, Smile, Agree. 

Then do whatever the fuck you were going to do anyway

5 hours ago, QueenObama said:

Well damn, any recomendations for best wifi card that might allow most consistancy for games like csgo any other game wont really matter 

WiFi is a crap shoot. Its not just the WiFi card that matters. Its the wireless standard the AP uses. Its any restrictions they have on the network. Your best bet is just look for a WiFi 5 (Wireless AC) card. And if you can use 5Ghz, as it will give the best exprience. TPLink and ASUS have some pretty OK cards. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Check this one out, great price for the latest WiFi 6 chipset, and its an Intel chipset, they are basically the king of WiFi right now. You also get BlueTooth (but it requires an internal USB header for BT).

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GC-Wbax200-802-11Ax-Bluetooth-Expansion/dp/B07VNBC5PS/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=ax200&qid=1574201346&sr=8-8