Mobo recommendation for (new) AMD Ryzen 5 3600

(new to me)

So my open air design build is getting pushed aside. Time for a new build.

In the Amazon cart: 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz

Already have: gtx 1070FTW, EVGA 600w

Mobo's I'm kinda lost at now, so that's were I'd appreciate your help ?

AND one important thing to me - back in the day this was no bueno. But today, will I be able to just take out my 2tb hdd and plug her in (without MS looking at hardware identifiers etc)?

THANKS a ton, you've all been great help in the past and I appreciate it!

** Here on the West Coast USA **

B450 tomahawk max

And if you mean if you need to reinstall windows, yes you should

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

B450 tomahawk max

Or B450 Steel legend, inferior bios but it looks great. Decent VRM and not that costly either 

B450m Aorus if you need a M-ATX but you need to update the bios with older chips or ask the retailer to update it for you

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

B450 tomahawk max

OK gotcha. https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Crossfire-Motherboard-B450-Tomahawk/dp/B07WF6ZQST/

Ram speed says max 4133(OC). So I assume this 3600 would be of choice?

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-PC4-28800-1-35V-Desktop-Memory/dp/B07FBVYFKH/ 

And please tell me I could just take out my 2tbhdd and go straight into the new build.

Over a year of massaged W10 and install's that were pain staking. ?

5 hours ago, Bender Blues said:

OK gotcha. https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Crossfire-Motherboard-B450-Tomahawk/dp/B07WF6ZQST/

Ram speed says max 4133(OC). So I assume this 3600 would be of choice?

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-PC4-28800-1-35V-Desktop-Memory/dp/B07FBVYFKH/ 

And please tell me I could just take out my 2tbhdd and go straight into the new build.

Over a year of massaged W10 and install's that were pain staking. ?

Yes 3600mhz ram would be good. You should get 3600mhz cas 16 memory. Trident z neo rgb 3600 mhz cas 16 could be good choice, it does not cost that much either.

Download windows media creation tool and copy your os to usb  (check guide online) and get an ssd and copy your windows to that ssd (very cheap m.2ssd would go, like 128gb a-data m.2 ssd 30-40bucks).

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

1 hour ago, SavageNeo said:

Yes 3600mhz ram would be good. You should get 3600mhz cas 16 memory. Trident z neo rgb 3600 mhz cas 16 could be good choice, it does not cost that much either.

Download windows media creation tool and copy your os to usb  (check guide online) and get an ssd and copy your windows to that ssd (very cheap m.2ssd would go, like 128gb a-data m.2 ssd 30-40bucks).

OK on the ram, will get the cas 16

When your talking about Windows Media Creation. I wasn't leaning to just hanging on to the OS. But the entire drive....

Thats why I need to know if I can just take out my 2tb drive from my other build, and inject it into the new build. Like I said, theres many programs that are custom installs, specific add ons etc.etc.etc and tons of others over the past year and a half.

Its not just a matter of re-installing programs and being done.

Thats why I need to know if I'll be able to take the drive out and put it in the new build. Back in the day you couldn't.

But can you today?

1 hour ago, Bender Blues said:

OK on the ram, will get the cas 16

When your talking about Windows Media Creation. I wasn't leaning to just hanging on to the OS. But the entire drive....

Thats why I need to know if I can just take out my 2tb drive from my other build, and inject it into the new build. Like I said, theres many programs that are custom installs, specific add ons etc.etc.etc and tons of others over the past year and a half.

Its not just a matter of re-installing programs and being done.

Thats why I need to know if I'll be able to take the drive out and put it in the new build. Back in the day you couldn't.

But can you today?

Is this the same drive your OS is on? Or is it a seperate drive for programs and data?
i did this last time i reinstalled windows. Most of my applications and games are on a seperate drive, and I did not wipe it. Most apps are working as they should, only a few thing broke, but it was an easy fix. 
Just beware to copy your document folder where your save games etc are located, wouldn't want to lose those! 

15 hours ago, GJERDE said:

Is this the same drive your OS is on? Or is it a seperate drive for programs and data?
i did this last time i reinstalled windows. Most of my applications and games are on a seperate drive, and I did not wipe it. Most apps are working as they should, only a few thing broke, but it was an easy fix. 
Just beware to copy your document folder where your save games etc are located, wouldn't want to lose those! 

Yes its the same drive, the only drive. A 2tb with W10 and installed programs.

So I'll be able to remove this from the old build and insert it into the new build and it should all be OK?

I am enjoying my ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming. Worked out of the box with the correct bios and I haven't had any issues so far in 6-months of ownership.

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming || AMD Ryzen R5 3600 || Cooler Master Hyper 212+ || 16GB G. Skill RAM 3133Mhz (OC) || Samsung 850 || Seagate 500GB &1TB HDD || EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW || Cooler Master 500w power supply || Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed - Blackout Edition

24" Dell S2340M + Apple Cinema Display || Corsair K65 RGB || Logitech G602

3 hours ago, cnelson3225 said:

I am enjoying my ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming. Worked out of the box with the correct bios and I haven't had any issues so far in 6-months of ownership.

I see your build listed there ;) So you just dropped in your AMD Ryzen 5 and no bios tweaks / updates?? 

As you can see above, same CPU in my amazon dumpster.

Was there an issue with other mobo's and bios' with AMD 5's?

cheers!

On 11/15/2019 at 2:25 AM, Slottr said:

B450 tomahawk max

Agreed on both points 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

I am running 3200mhz 15-18-18 on my 3600 with an MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon. I would suggest the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon. My B350 will run any and all ram. I was able to boot @ 3600mhz but my ram is DDR4 3000mhz. The Other suggestion is the Asus ROG Strix X470-F

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Agreed on both points 

So @cnelson3225 mentions the ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming with no fuss bios updates.

And @Slottr mentions the MSI  B450 tomahawk max. Both $10 dollars in difference, dont care about that......

So between the two, does one have a number of advantages over the other? And what would be the deciding factors to chose one over the other?

Specs look dead on. Does the MSI take BIOS updating? The only thing I don't like about the tomahawk is the MSI red, but thats not a decision maker.

ThanksYou much all.

Well, since you are using Ryzen 3600, I think X570 motherboard are better. But if you are on a budget, I guess any B450 motherboard or X470 will do.

By the way, look for the label that says Ryzen 3000 series ready. This is because the old BIOS couldn't identify the new processor.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Tomahawk max definitely won't need a bios update, and it's well known to be one of the best b450 boards.

2 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Well, since you are using Ryzen 3600, I think X570 motherboard are better. But if you are on a budget, I guess any B450 motherboard or X470 will do.

By the way, look for the label that says Ryzen 3000 series ready. This is because the old BIOS couldn't identify the new processor.

No reason to buy an x570 board unless you need PCIe 4 or crossfire/sli

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

6 hours ago, Bender Blues said:

So @cnelson3225 mentions the ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming with no fuss bios updates.

And @Slottr mentions the MSI  B450 tomahawk max. Both $10 dollars in difference, dont care about that......

So between the two, does one have a number of advantages over the other? And what would be the deciding factors to chose one over the other?

Specs look dead on. Does the MSI take BIOS updating? The only thing I don't like about the tomahawk is the MSI red, but thats not a decision maker.

ThanksYou much all.

Our of those boards my vote goes for the tomahawk Max. Works out of the box (although updating bios to latest stable version is always recommendable) and good VRM heatsinks. 
B450 tomahawk Max best board to grab for a decent price for a 3rd gen Ryzen without going up to a X570 board

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

3 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

all B450 MAX boards work out of the box. The non Max versions need a bios update before it works with a 3xxx Ryzen. MSI boards are good as they have bios flashback via usb. So no need for a older gen Ryzen to update