HELP with choosing mechanical keyboard!

Hi guys,

I would like your help in selecting a keyboard please, it'll be my first mechanical keyboard too :)

I am currently considering but feel free to add any other brands/models: Corsair Vengenace k70 and Tesoro Colado Saint G3NL

- I am not a heavy gamer, occasionally i do game - so I'm only considering Cherry mx Browns or Blues (your thoughts on the two?)

- I do alot of assignment writing for uni, hence a good typing keyboard is neccessary

- I do prefer the silver/chrome aluminium look but its not 100% compulsary

- I do prefer a blue or white LED backlight - it does not need to be individually backlit

- a multimedia panel on top would be great!

- Also, your thoughts on palm rests or wrist rests? I heard in one of Linus vids that they were detrimental??

I do prefer the Corsair k70 as it not only looks appealing, its supposedly a great keyboard - however i read alot of review on newegg/amazon/general google that ppl's LEDs are breaking within 3months or so - has anyone had this experience since owning a k70??

boop

have you also considered what key you may want? 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

It depends. Maybe you should get something cheaper to start off with like a Ducky Zero. I picked one up for significantly cheaper than any other mechanical keyboard and I love it. I'll upgrade next time it's due in for an upgrade, but so far it's great. 

Blue vs. Brown is whether you want the audible click or not. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

I have considered the Ducky Shine 3 - as I prefer the backlit feature!

thoughts on the Shine 3?

k70. its amazing.

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

It depends. Maybe you should get something cheaper to start off with like a Ducky Zero. I picked one up for significantly cheaper than any other mechanical keyboard and I love it. I'll upgrade next time it's due in for an upgrade, but so far it's great. 

Blue vs. Brown is whether you want the audible click or not. 

He said he wanted a back light, but also yep, blues vs browns you are completely correct... I prefer blues =3

Hi guys,

I would like your help in selecting a keyboard please, it'll be my first mechanical keyboard too :)

I am currently considering but feel free to add any other brands/models: Corsair Vengenace k70 and Tesoro Colado Saint G3NL

- I am not a heavy gamer, occasionally i do game - so I'm only considering Cherry mx Browns or Blues (your thoughts on the two?)

- I do alot of assignment writing for uni, hence a good typing keyboard is neccessary

- I do prefer the silver/chrome aluminium look but its not 100% compulsary

- I do prefer a blue or white LED backlight - it does not need to be individually backlit

- a multimedia panel on top would be great!

- Also, your thoughts on palm rests or wrist rests? I heard in one of Linus vids that they were detrimental??

I do prefer the Corsair k70 as it not only looks appealing, its supposedly a great keyboard - however i read alot of review on newegg/amazon/general google that ppl's LEDs are breaking within 3months or so - has anyone had this experience since owning a k70??

I'm sure you'll love a K70 :D

thoughts on the Shine 3?

GOD LIKE D:

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I love my ducky shine 3, comes in many different LED colors and switches.

i7 4770k/Asus GTX 1080 TI/Asus RX5500 XT/Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB/Samsung 840 Pro 256GB/Seagate Barracuda 3TB/AX860i/ASUS Z87 PRO/Fractal Design Define R4/HD 598

SirReallySam

Are blues really that noisy??

Blues are quite noisey, but unless anyone else is in the room with you when you're typing or if you hang out on skype/teamspeak/whatever alot, it is not really a negative. Some people even enjoy the click sound it makes.

If you can, try every switch (or as many as possible) out, in store or something. It's all personal preference, and going with the wrong switch can result in a bad mechanical keyboard experience.

THE signature

Blues are quite noisey, but unless anyone else is in the room with you when you're typing or if you hang out on skype/teamspeak/whatever alot, it is not really a negative. Some people even enjoy the click sound it makes.

If you can, try every switch (or as many as possible) out, in store or something. It's all personal preference, and going with the wrong switch can result in a bad mechanical keyboard experience.

Yeah i thought it would be a bit noisy, leaning towards a brown switch i think.

anyone had experience with browns?

Linus reviewed the Tt Poseidon, it has a very cheap price point for the features it brings in comparison to other keyboard prices on the market.

You can find the video here.

SirReallySam

Are blues really that noisy??

Yes. I have blues, they make quite a bit of noise compared to browns, but they're a very enjoyable typing experience.

Yeah i thought it would be a bit noisy, leaning towards a brown switch i think.

anyone had experience with browns?

I'm typing on one right now (Ducky DK2108s), what do you want to know?

THE signature

For me im in Love with blues and all the other mechanical switchs (inc.brown) feel like membering 

as for the keyboard;

FANCY Light effects and solid build quality = Ducky Shine III

Really Nice looks (personally) = K70 & CM Storm Mech & Razer Blackwidow & Logitech G700+

I'm typing on one right now (Ducky DK2108s), what do you want to know?

how louds are they and are they comfortable to type on for long periods of time??

For me im in Love with blues and all the other mechanical switchs (inc.brown) feel like membering 

as for the keyboard;

FANCY Light effects and solid build quality = Ducky Shine III

Really Nice looks (personally) = K70 & CM Storm Mech & Razer Blackwidow & Logitech G700+

I like your list :)

although ever heard of k70 and problems with LEDs dying? :( as thats my only concern prior to buying

k70. its amazing.

although ever heard of k70 and problems with LEDs dying? :( as thats my only concern prior to buying

how louds are they and are they comfortable to type on for long periods of time??

They are louder than your average membrane keyboard, that's for sure. My microphone is not really good enough to give you an idea about the sound, but you probably can find something on youtube about it.

And they are amazing to type on, I will never go back to membrane ever again. Beware that you will hate typing on membrane after you own a mechanical keyboard. 

Browns are one of the lightest switches (after reds I think) and give a nice click, so for me they're not really fatiguing. 

But like I said, it's all personal preference. I'm quite biased because after extensive testing I found out I prefer browns. Someone who prefers blacks for example will tell you blacks are the way to go.

THE signature

He said he wanted a back light, but also yep, blues vs browns you are completely correct... I prefer blues =3

Yeah, backlit looks pretty cool, but I'll admit that in terms of practicality, unless you don't touch type, it's not useful. Personally, I never look at my keyboard. 

Anyway, the K70 and Ducky Shine 3 are both very expensive, so I was just suggesting that something cheaper will be a good choice for a first mechanical keyboard. Remember that the construction of the Ducky Zero is like a tank. Mine is still, no flex or whatever. 

For me, the blues have a slightly higher actuation force than the browns. For some people, they are more used to typing with a lighter actuation force, so for them the browns would be better. However, I pretty much grew up on the standard desktop dome keyboards rather than a notebook keyboard, so I literally hammer the keys. I have a Cherry MX Blue Ducky Zero, I like the clicky sound too, it actually sounds quite nice. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Yeah, backlit looks pretty cool, but I'll admit that in terms of practicality, unless you don't touch type, it's not useful. Personally, I never look at my keyboard. 

Anyway, the K70 and Ducky Shine 3 are both very expensive, so I was just suggesting that something cheaper will be a good choice for a first mechanical keyboard. Remember that the construction of the Ducky Zero is like a tank. Mine is still, no flex or whatever. 

For me, the blues have a slightly higher actuation force than the browns. For some people, they are more used to typing with a lighter actuation force, so for them the browns would be better. However, I pretty much grew up on the standard desktop dome keyboards rather than a notebook keyboard, so I literally hammer the keys. I have a Cherry MX Blue Ducky Zero, I like the clicky sound too, it actually sounds quite nice. 

Yeah I have a Zero built like a beast indeed, I don't look at my keyboard either BUT it just looks so shiny :D

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

thoughts on the Shine 3?

I'm using a shine 3 with black switches. Holy shit, it's amazing. It's a really solid keyboard. Fairly heavy but if your not transporting it much, that's a good thing cause it feels like the only way it would only break if it was run over with a tank. Also, the LED backlights are very good. 

As for switch choice, I find that browns feel very plasticy and cheap. My friends like them but they're probably my least favourite by far. I don't really like blues either but I can see why people like them if they want a tactile switch. Before you buy a keyboard, definitely at least try out blacks and reds. You might find that you love them even if you're not a gamer. Plus they're much more quiet.

The only bad thing is that it doesn't come with a wrist rest. You can buy one separately but there's no way to attach it to the keyboard so you might find it moving around a bit. However, Ducky's wrist rests are very nice. 

HI, welcome to the forums!

To make sure you get the best help this forum can offer, I've moved your question to the Peripherals section of the forum.

In regard to the K70: I've been running a K90 for over a year now. Hardware-wise, the thing is immaculate. Software-wise, though, it's absolutely horrible.

I like your list :)

Well... one of my friends has the silver/blue version and i just asked him (like 5 mins ago) if he had any dead LEDs or any problems and all he said was ''Solid'' also the K70 and most (probs all of them) of the keyboards on that list has 2 Year-Warranty and warranty includes RMA on dead LEDs (altough im not 100% sure)

If the K70 is an option, It is THE option.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Well... one of my friends has the silver/blue version and i just asked him (like 5 mins ago) if he had any dead LEDs or any problems and all he said was ''Solid'' also the K70 and most (probs all of them) of the keyboards on that list has 2 Year-Warranty and warranty includes RMA on dead LEDs (altough im not 100% sure)

that warranty does sound better, as I live in Australia I'm stuck with ordering online and the sites only state one yrs warranty. so I'm guessing if I had any problems, I would need to ship to the online store and they send to corsair?