Faster Storage and CPU time

It's a small question but I always wanted to know if having programs on an SSD or M.2 save CPU time. This made sense in my head because the CPU has to waste less time loading things from storage.

Hi, I am from Brazil and I pretend on building a Ryzen 2200G build. (to convert to Brazil's currency look up <your currcency> to BRL)

3 minutes ago, Trigonomancer said:

It's a small question but I always wanted to know if having programs on an SSD or M.2 save CPU time. This made sense in my head because the CPU has to waste less time loading things from storage.

Do you mean it will load faster?  Yes.

At least compared to a hard drive.

I'm not sure why this happens but seems like you've got things wrong on how CPU behaves. A slow storage means the CPU indeed has to wait longer before it gets all the info needed to launch the application, but during the wait the CPU doesn't do much if at all. In other words, using an SSD instead of a spinning disk HDD doesn't save CPU time, but it saves your time.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Do you mean it will load faster?  Yes.

At least compared to a hard drive.

I just mean if having to wait less for things to load will save me some CPU time.

Hi, I am from Brazil and I pretend on building a Ryzen 2200G build. (to convert to Brazil's currency look up <your currcency> to BRL)

3 minutes ago, Trigonomancer said:

I just mean if having to wait less for things to load will save me some CPU time.

Then the answer is yes.  It will take your CPU less time to load from an SSD than an HDD.

With the mention that the operating system usually caches the whole executable in RAM

So the difference will be just time.  And I don't know, I guess if you get the data in bigger chunks from SSD, maybe you get a few less interrupts so a few cpu cycles less to fully load an executable into memory.

55 minutes ago, Trigonomancer said:

If we're looking at the point of view of just the application, then having a faster storage drive will allow the application to run on the CPU more often because it's waiting less for data to arrive compared to a hard drive. It also depends on what the application is doing though. For initial loading, you can't escape needing to access the storage drive. But if it's streaming data in and out, like say chunks of a map in GTA V, then no. The application will typically have other work to do, so it'll issue a request from the storage drive, do something else, and the storage drive will ping the application that it has the data for it.

If we're looking at it from a system point of view, then no. The system doesn't wait for the application to be loaded, it'll just come back to it once it is and the CPU is free to work on other things.