What programs you need for Small office? For youtubing? Asus Router setup?

jampog

Just a background first we have been working for a client overseas for more than a year already so to show we want to grow with him we want to up our setup. The question for youtubing on the other hand is for my son who wanted to do some youtubing.Lastly is there a best way to setup/program an asus router? 

We were initially planning on getting bitdefender small office so we tried the free version. The program began notifying us its blocking websites every 5 seconds which was weird cause we had the free edition prior. So i mailed them about it and after a couple of emails and sending information to them, they found out nothing was wrong after a week. All they said was after reviewing what i sent they found nothing wrong and if i wanted it to be investigated further they can. I just find it weird they did not tell me why it happened in the first place. Also after the free trial expired, it was very difficult to get instructions on how to install the free version again. So is this is a normal scenario for paid antivirus or is there a better one out there?

We were also planning to get Nord VPN but after what jay said about nord not being upfront about the data breach they have we are not thinking twice of getting them. We already got the free trial and we did not encounter any problems which made us even buy an asus router cuz thats what they recommended-the much cheaper versions though :D

For these two, we wanted brands that are more or less known on the web so when our employer checks them out its easy to appreciate the upgrades. We were also waiting for black friday to buy these stuff. Planning to buy the VPN first then find a cheap country to buy the antivirus afterwards. I have not found any deals posted yet so if there is any to watch out for kindly share too :D Any other programs you might suggest as well? 

For youtubing though, i just downloaded davinci resolve cuz its seems everyone says it got everything the others got but is not for beginners. We also OBS. We dont have a decent camera though so we are just using the camera on our iphone 7plus. Is it possilbe to use the animoji animation thing when filming on older devices? We are a kinda shy family so we just want to try this out without showing our faces :))

For router setup though, we just did the basic which is the setup and setting up wifi. Does changing DNS still matter? Also, our ISP won't allow their router to be in bridgemode. Is there another way to solve the double nat problem? 

I know this is a handful but if you can just answer the questions for small office we would be more than greatful! TIA!!

6 hours ago, jampog said:

Also after the free trial expired, it was very difficult to get instructions on how to install the free version again. So is this is a normal scenario for paid antivirus or is there a better one out there?

To install another version, more so when downgrading, you need to uninstall previous and install another. BitDefender is bit hard on some browsers, Firefox especially. That can cause issues with certificates and so on.

BitDefender is my choice, Kaspersky is another which has got some recommendations here in past year. Though with everything going on in the world, some people find difficult picking company from Russia (Kaspersky) while I get flack locally for picking company from Romania (BitDefender).

We were also planning to get Nord VPN but after what jay said about nord not being upfront about the data breach they have we are not thinking twice of getting them. We already got the free trial and we did not encounter any problems which made us even buy an asus router cuz thats what they recommended-the much cheaper versions though :D

Personally I dislike their advertising style. Its rather aggressive, and to point of being spammy. Thats all I have as I don't really use VPN all the time. Only to watch IIHF WC with US casting from YT.

Any other programs you might suggest as well? 

You are bit vague on what stuff you are looking for. So far its VPN and AV.

For youtubing though, i just downloaded davinci resolve cuz its seems everyone says it got everything the others got but is not for beginners. We also OBS. We dont have a decent camera though so we are just using the camera on our iphone 7plus. Is it possilbe to use the animoji animation thing when filming on older devices? We are a kinda shy family so we just want to try this out without showing our faces :))

I have no idea what you mean with animoji. Are you looking for streaming or recording? What style of content?

For router setup though, we just did the basic which is the setup and setting up wifi. Does changing DNS still matter? Also, our ISP won't allow their router to be in bridgemode. Is there another way to solve the double nat problem?

TBH this would be best to post as its own thread in Networking. You get way better knowledge there from people who actually know things. Many users only read subforums they are interested about.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

About double nat - the only way is to use your asus as managable switch by plugging lan from isp router to asus lan1. You need some preparation first like setup static ip in ip range that your isp router use, but then you'll end with isp router with all its bad (probably) features and asus router as switch only with his own wifi, without active most of functions. So basically is not worh. You can use dmz in isp router though, so double nat will be not that annoying.

17 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

To install another version, more so when downgrading, you need to uninstall previous and install another. BitDefender is bit hard on some browsers, Firefox especially. That can cause issues with certificates and so on.

BitDefender is my choice, Kaspersky is another which has got some recommendations here in past year. Though with everything going on in the world, some people find difficult picking company from Russia (Kaspersky) while I get flack locally for picking company from Romania (BitDefender).

Personally I dislike their advertising style. Its rather aggressive, and to point of being spammy. Thats all I have as I don't really use VPN all the time. Only to watch IIHF WC with US casting from YT.

You are bit vague on what stuff you are looking for. So far its VPN and AV.

I have no idea what you mean with animoji. Are you looking for streaming or recording? What style of content?

TBH this would be best to post as its own thread in Networking. You get way better knowledge there from people who actually know things. Many users only read subforums they are interested about.

Thanks for the reply and clarifications :D

We would go Bitdefender then as you suggested. Imo it matters little where you are right now cuz even though you get caught you still get away with it and be able to do it again. 

About the VPN, I wanna come clean and yup we also want it for the netflix. I just chose nord cuz I see it a lot on youtube and when i checked it out on reddit there was a list that it had most green checkmarks :)) When you use it though, what do you use or if you hear people using it a lot what do they use? Need to google the iihf lol. It does not snow where I live so i don't know how to appreciate the sport but if you can name one game I should watch what should it be? 

For programs, we work from home and wanna make sure our client stays with us cuz they are really nice. So we were thinking how to make things more secure and better for them. We are virtual assistants, well my wife is now one and I am planning to get a gig at the most early next year. That is why I am asking for programs we should get and/or learn. 

Maybe its not the right term regarding the animoji. It's like filters that make your whole face change instead - poop and unicorn emoji speaking. It would be for recording initially cuz that seems easier. We would like to do unboxing videos first and some gameplay of mobile phone games. Most likely on youtube. I am guessing the cultural thing and/or geography might spark some interest since it is slightly different. Planning to pattern it to linus, hororo, and the relaxing end. 

Regarding posting on networking, I was actually planning to post multiple threads but I don't khow the mods would react to me spamming different topics. Given most tech gurus know a little about a lot of things I was hoping people would be kind enough the program question then I can jump to another forum. But got lucky with you... TYVM!

Note: I was planning to reply the way you did not know how and had lil to no time google it... sorry for the format...

8 hours ago, homeap5 said:

About double nat - the only way is to use your asus as managable switch by plugging lan from isp router to asus lan1. You need some preparation first like setup static ip in ip range that your isp router use, but then you'll end with isp router with all its bad (probably) features and asus router as switch only with his own wifi, without active most of functions. So basically is not worh. You can use dmz in isp router though, so double nat will be not that annoying.

Ty for the reply!

Let me just say upfront that our isp might be one of the worst in the world so yup it would be the worst idea... sigh. But didn't know you can do that manageable switch thing thru lan1 and dmz too. They say dmz makes you open to attacks though but the plan is to just dmz between routers right? The reason i am asking is our setup is isp to asus then to google wifi. they are all connected thru a lan cable. I bridged google wifi. Would it be better dmz asus to google wifi too? Btw, we have asus as primary cuz google wifi didn't have a vpn option and was recommended by nord. Also, we have 20mbps connection, so do you think upgrading to cat6 cables are necessary?

sorry can't resist but hopefully a short rant about our isp. they gave us a router that has 4 lans and a usb. you can only use 1 lan and 2 wifi. The other 3 are suppose to be for tv programming if you get it thru them. Some opportunist were able to figure out how to access the other lan and be able to provide 25mbps to each and everyone of them. They reacted by locking everything instead of fixing the problem.They are saying its point to point so they did it that way. The only options they left for us are just 2.4 and 5 wifi. if you want features like bridge, dns, any simple changes on routers, you need to sign a waiver for admin access. The waiver makes them not liable for the router anymore. Some customers that are having problems now receive little to no help because of that waiver regardless of what the problem is. On top of that, there is always news of sea lines getting cut so we have terrible speed. We use it for work so can't risk hacking it though its really so simple to do :((

2 hours ago, jampog said:

When you use it though, what do you use or if you hear people using it a lot what do they use? Need to google the iihf lol. It does not snow where I live so i don't know how to appreciate the sport but if you can name one game I should watch what should it be? 

I use VPN only for going around geolocking. To buy sudiobooks which aren't available here. Or for watching those ice hockey championship games. The license to broadcast is held by streaming service, and I don't have TV in order to watch them free. So it's paying €30 for streaming service or €8 for PIA.

For programs, we work from home and wanna make sure our client stays with us cuz they are really nice. So we were thinking how to make things more secure and better for them. We are virtual assistants, well my wife is now one and I am planning to get a gig at the most early next year. That is why I am asking for programs we should get and/or learn. 

That doesn't really narrow it down. Like are you tech support? General office/secretarial aid? Accounting? Investing to Microsoft Office suite might be a good step either way. But I imagine you could also do with project manager of sorts. Like what LMG uses.

Maybe its not the right term regarding the animoji. It's like filters that make your whole face change instead - poop and unicorn emoji speaking. It would be for recording initially cuz that seems easier. We would like to do unboxing videos first and some gameplay of mobile phone games. Most likely on youtube. I am guessing the cultural thing and/or geography might spark some interest since it is slightly different. Planning to pattern it to linus, hororo, and the relaxing end. 

If it's done while recording, it will be burned on the recording. It can be done in editing too, and I think free version of Resolve can do it. That's my limit of video editing, I have not done those things since high school.

The networking related questions are very specific and different than just asking recommendations for software.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm a little confused - I assumed that your ISP router is modem/router and cannot be replaced by Asus, but now you say that Asus is your first router, then google (google?).

If you explain it a little bit more clear, I may help.

And yes, DMZ opening all ports etc, but second router (second network) have closed ports. You may want as less delay/crap as possible between first and second router.