Upgrade suggestions please

Logan.S

Hello! First post on the forum I was hoping I could get some help.

Current system:

I5-6600k

gtx 1070

8gb 2144 Ram

500gb M.2 storage ( I know its not a lot but I dont need more)

MSI  z170A pc mate mobo

1440p 144hz monitor.

So. I mostly play overwatch and have gotten into the new COD. I run into issues because I play with friends on discord using video chat on another monitor. It adds a lot to the experience to see my friends faces when I defeat them in 1v1s. When I'm not on discord I usually have a twitch stream up or a youtube video while I'm playing. I see that my CPU is usually maxed, but I know windows 10 likes to do that no matter what. I built my PC in Q4 of 16 so it isnt terribly old, but I do wish I knew Ryzen was coming out soon after. My thoughts are to upgrade the mobo and get into a  Ryzen 3600 but hold onto my 1070 for a bit?

I'm starting my first real job out of college in January as an accountant and I would like something fun to come home to after the 60+hr work week this tax season. Open to all price range suggestions.

Looking forward to responses. 

Thank you for everyone's time, I appreciate it!

-Logan

From what I've seen the equivalent is the i7 8700 right? Pretty similar performance but about $100 more?

Also, I would upgrade my Ram to 16gb 3000 if I did that, especially if I went AMD

1 minute ago, Logan.S said:

From what I've seen the equivalent is the i7 8700 right? Pretty similar performance but about $100 more?

Also, I would upgrade my Ram to 16gb 3000 if I did that, especially if I went AMD

more vs ryzen mobo, cooler, cpu?

new os?

can use same ram right

The R5 3600 is $200, i78700 is ~300. 

The  r5 3600 cooler combo seems like a hell of a deal. I'll be using the free unactivated win10 OS so no worry there. 

I could use the same ram, but I've read that Ryzen chips eat up ram pretty bad. Ram is cheap right now I could grab 16gb @3000 for like $70.

Having a bit of trouble identifying the exact motherboard.  The one I keep identifying as the “pc mate” version is a pro grade mobo that originally sold for like $300 and runs 6th gen intel.  IF (big if) this is the mobo you have, the Hottest CPU available for LGA1151 I can find is a 7700k which would buy you 4 more threads (but no more cores) for $250-300 minus whatever you sell the core i5 for. 

there seems to be a revision 1 and a revision 2 and I can’t tell which one it is.

might be enough to do what you want.  Might not.

another option is some sort of streaming add on box to take the pressure off the CPU.  They were quite popular a while back.  I know nothing about them though.  Might be cheaper, might be stupid.

For several times more money you could do a full mobo/ram/CPU swap. This gets more cores and more threads.  

Here it’s all about budget.  It’s pretty easy to toss a couple grand in the air on this one.

This will have to be done eventually, and AMD has promised future upgradeability for AM4.  AMD4 is kinda famous for wanting very fast memory. 3000mhz is kind of a floor.  Some opt for 3600mhz. It has to do with the way “infinity fabric” works.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.