Would an RTX 2060 be too much?

Raptor_Fawr
Go to solution Solved by balderm,

If you search online there's a few videos or articles about that CPU in 2019 and seems to still hold well in 1080p gaming, so yes upgrading your graphics card will definitely help you, you just won't get the most out of it. That being said, the RTX2060 is a nice card, but if for the same price you can get a 1080TI i'd say go for this one instead, since in a lot of titles you'll see bigger gains, especially if you'll ever upgrade your monitor to 1440p, where your CPU will matter less in the equation and your GPU will do a lot more work.

I am looking for information online but it seems that it's a matter of opinion. A lot of people recommend this card, others will say that the bottleneck makes it not worth it. 

I am running this machine atm:

i7 3770

SABERTOOTH P67

24GB DDR3 dual channel 

RADEON R9 290x

600w psu

2hdd 

1ssd (with windows 7)

With black friday/christmas sales I was looking for a new ssd where to get a windows 10 copy (maybe a samsung 860, I was intrigued by the 2tb capacity) and I also wanted to upgrade my graphic card, since my favourite game gets 44 to 50 fps when playing online and this is sub optimal for pc gaming. I've read that the best graphic card to pair with my i7 would be a gtx 1070 to avoid bottleneck or a 1080 ti to have some bottleneck but also a beefy raw power that could come in handy. However the 1070 is now too old to be bought new and also the 1080ti comes at the same price of a 2060 which is also newer and could last me longer if I decide to upgrade the rest of the conputer. 

My main concern is 1080p gaming since it's where the bottleneck will be noticeable, I think that any other activity I might do (including video editing) would not suffer at all if I trade my r9 290x with an rtx 2060. Tell me if I'm wrong and please suggest alternatives, keeping in mind that I cannot change my motherboard as of now because that would mean to change too much components and I don't have the money now

If you search online there's a few videos or articles about that CPU in 2019 and seems to still hold well in 1080p gaming, so yes upgrading your graphics card will definitely help you, you just won't get the most out of it. That being said, the RTX2060 is a nice card, but if for the same price you can get a 1080TI i'd say go for this one instead, since in a lot of titles you'll see bigger gains, especially if you'll ever upgrade your monitor to 1440p, where your CPU will matter less in the equation and your GPU will do a lot more work.

Ryzen 7 3700X | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC | Corsair LPX 16gb 3200 | MSI B450M Mortar MAX | Corsair H100i v2 | Samsung 850 PRO 512GB | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Corsair Air 240 Black | Corsair CS650M | Corsair ML120 (3x) | Link