Youtube Messed Up...Again

tubajoe0

I apologize if this isn't the sort of thing that's usually on here, but the amount of mistakes Youtube has just made is so insane that everyone needs to be aware of this (especially Linus - I would love to hear his take on this and make him as a content creator on the platform aware of this).  If you don't feel like watching the video below and want the tl:dr version, Markiplier did a livesteam going through his premium special with fans and had viewers spam colors in the chat to choose which direction in the special (this is a "choose your own adventure" style thing if you're confused by this) he takes, so viewers would post lots of emojis as was instructed.  These viewers then had their ENTIRE GOOGLE ACCOUNT banned automatically and appeals being denied almost instantly with no reason provided.  No, not their Youtube accounts, their GOOGLE accounts, including Docs, Gmail, Drive, EVERYTHING GOOGLE, GONE!  

I just got done watching the video and was getting ready to post it as well. Glad someone figured out the best place to put it--I was scratching my head. 

On that note, this is BS. I wasn't affected (I very rarely watch livestreams on YouTube) but I was getting angry just watching the video. First off, he asked for the emote to be spammed, so that right there should have stopped there being an issue. If there's an automated system, great. But immediately banning a persons entire google account over a few emotes? WTF. 

This really goes deeper than Mark got into. Yeah, you lose your services you pay for, but what about someone on Android who uses their google account for everything? Photo backups? Contacts? I'm curious how getting your google account banned would affect something like a subscription to...I dunno...Google Fi? 

Google and YouTube screw up a lot but I feel like this one has the potential to really get out of hand if they don't get this resolved ASAP.

Hopefully this makes it onto the next WAN Show because I'm sure Linus is going to have a LOT to say about this one. 

5 minutes ago, HWLights92 said:

I just got done watching the video and was getting ready to post it as well. Glad someone figured out the best place to put it--I was scratching my head. 

On that note, this is BS. I wasn't affected (I very rarely watch livestreams on YouTube) but I was getting angry just watching the video. First off, he asked for the emote to be spammed, so that right there should have stopped there being an issue. If there's an automated system, great. But immediately banning a persons entire google account over a few emotes? WTF. 

This really goes deeper than Mark got into. Yeah, you lose your services you pay for, but what about someone on Android who uses their google account for everything? Photo backups? Contacts? I'm curious how getting your google account banned would affect something like a subscription to...I dunno...Google Fi? 

Google and YouTube screw up a lot but I feel like this one has the potential to really get out of hand if they don't get this resolved ASAP.

Hopefully this makes it onto the next WAN Show because I'm sure Linus is going to have a LOT to say about this one. 

Exactly. Even worse, imagine losing your Gmail account, including access to receipts, bill transactions, business communication, etc., all because you posted some emoji's on a gaming channel's livestream when they asked you post those emojis.  Just as bad, imagine being locked out of any site that you registered to using your Gmail account and now can't access because they need to verify your email/reset your password using an account that Google killed.  This isn't just a matter of people being inconvenienced on a site for watching videos. This has the potential to create literal financial and business crises for real people.  

You get kicked from csgo servers for sweeping the floor.  Do any of you really think spamming YouTube would work out? Come on people.  Y'all belong in the pitiful tech thread.

Youtube is just making it evident that there are much better places to stream your games.Losing everything Google owns because you got banned? No company should have that power.

Cue youtuber union shoutout 

1 hour ago, SaviorSix said:

Youtube is just making it evident that there are much better places to stream your games.Losing everything Google owns because you got banned? No company should have that power.

And not just that. I'd assume for a lot of these people, it's a first time offense. What does it say when a company's reaction to a first time offense is completely blocking you from accessing an account. 

That's like making one improper turn and having your license taken away. 

6 hours ago, Animal901 said:

You get kicked from csgo servers for sweeping the floor.  Do any of you really think spamming YouTube would work out? Come on people.  Y'all belong in the pitiful tech thread.

so true mate, about spamming youtube

flooding aint cool

best not to use google period!

...and having all your eggs in googles basket....

youtube and google maps is what I use and I dont even log in to anything

love the minimising ?

17 hours ago, tubajoe0 said:

all because you posted some emoji's on a gaming channel's livestream

Minimizing?  Viewers LITERALLY followed the instructions given to them by Mark who was hosting the stream in the first place.  They were told "post emojis of a color to make your choice."  This isn't minimizing, this is people losing their accounts for trying to interact with a content creator in a way the creator asked for and encouraged.  

50 minutes ago, tubajoe0 said:

Minimizing?  Viewers LITERALLY followed the instructions given to them by Mark who was hosting the stream in the first place.  They were told "post emojis of a color to make your choice."  This isn't minimizing, this is people losing their accounts for trying to interact with a content creator in a way the creator asked for and encouraged.  

Let this be a lesson of content creators being garbage. 

There has to be more to this. I find it hard to believe that Google would outright ban accounts in good standing for their first offense with prejudice. I'll wait to see how this unfolds. 

Mark Posted an Update today. The TLDR...er TLDW...is that the issue is resolved, accounts are reinstated, and there's still a few things that are being worked on but someone from YouTube did also acknowledge that this was a big f**k up and tried to explain why it happened in the first place. 

Probably just the anti-spam robot. Not hard to see why the accounts got banned. 

This was mentioned before

I'm not sure if this is even the only other article on it, it may not be since it was (is) a big deal

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.